IGNORED

Prospectus - Football Quarter

Louis

but seriously i believe all football stadia should be built on the outskirts of cities,liverpool over the years have bought propertys around anfield and left them to decay and this has spread considerably to other terrace houses.i mean who wants to live next door to an empty house,plus they have never ever put money into the anfield area,they promised it with the stanley park project but thats never going to materealize.

Stanley Park has been completely revamped or are you talking about another project??

Im from Analfield and the area will completely die if the clubs moved out, the area has been decaying for a long time now and its got nothing to do with The Shite buying up houses and letting them decay

are you serious about liverpool not having anything to do with the decay they started it they thought they could buy up houses board them up then at a later date expand their stadium,but they left it to long,seriously have a walk around the stadium it looks like a bomb site,the park do you think liverpool paid for the refurbishment i dont think so.

The entire Anfield area is full of boarded up houses its not just around the ground, I dont need to walk around the stadium as my daughter goes to a play group in the church there so I know exactly what its like.

Anfield is one of the most run down areas in the country and so while I see your point about them buying up houses I fail to see how you can blame the state of the entire area on The Shite. I honestly beleive you would be in a very small minority of people who oppose the Football Quarter

At risk of offending residents (please don't take offence), Everton (especially) and Liverpoo can not compete in our current locations. Money in football isn't just home games anymore (it helps)... the stadium/surroundings need to be productive 7days a week all year round not just match days. Sadly the area in which each stadium sits is not productive to either club. In a prem league table of house prices based on value of surrounding area properties, Everton and Liverpoo are the bottom 2. I know people live there and to many it's 'home' but for the good of the club the area (not just the stadium) needs re-generating or we need to move to a new location. Why would big sponsors use Liverpool (the area) as somewhere to conduct business when Manchester is but 30minutes down the road?

I don't live in Liverpool and never have but that's where my family are from and some still live and it saddens me to see so many closed pubs, shops, hotels, etc, I thought the city of culture status/funding could have benefitted the club in some way... basically the city seems a shadow of it's former self and regeneration of an area including both clubs (or at least us) is essential to put the city 'back on the map'.

On a different note, Dunc, what would you personally, as a local, like to get out of the Football Quarter.

I dont actually live in Anfield anymore but my wifes family still do as do mine and both of my daughters go to nursery there so I would not personally benefit from it.

However I see it as a no brainer, the extra revenue and jobs it would bring to the area would be immeasureable

The area is completely run down and any lifeline it can get should be taken. However I dont agree with C1982 in that I dont think the City of Liverpool is at all run down, in fact I think it is thriving and I think there are plenty of big sponsors that would be more than happy to invest in the city ( The Labour Party Conference was in Liverpool not Manchester, The MTV European Music Awards were in Liverpool not Manchester).

Dont get me wrong I have nothing agaist Manchester, I just beleive that Liverpool has as much to offer

The area is completely run down and any lifeline it can get should be taken. However I dont agree with C1982 in that I dont think the City of Liverpool is at all run down, in fact I think it is thriving and I think there are plenty of big sponsors that would be more than happy to invest in the city ( The Labour Party Conference was in Liverpool not Manchester, The MTV European Music Awards were in Liverpool not Manchester).

I think the area around Liverpool 1 and the docks is as good as any major city and the ljm (art bit - only bit I know)is top notch also there is potential around jl airport but there is so much of the city run down and yes there's businesses closed down throughout Britain but the amount of vacant and run down buildings around the docklands and stadiums is incredible. I just think as a city Manchester has surpassed Liverpool and in footballing terms we (EFC and LFC) are years behind the Manc clubs.

Manchester has surpassed because their council backed the regeneration programme, twice over! But they have just as many run down areas as Liverpool does.

Half of Salford, all of Moss Side, Eastlands, are all in need of regeneration because they concentrated their efforts on the centre area where the outsiders will spend money.

As did Liverpool, they spent the Culture money on the town centre, and though it looks a lot nicer, they could have made that money go a lot further, suspected £20m on the central one way system alone. They didnt even finish half of the work they had planned. Its took a businessman (not from Liverpool) to sort out Edge Lane Drive (the main entrance to the city, and the council didnt bother apart from some fancy lights). Could you imagine what even half of that money could have done in Speke, Anfield and Walton?

Every major city has bad areas, London has plenty, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool. Personally I only care about one of them cities.

Any form of regeneration is better than no regeneration.

• 1 year later...

These projects are a dime a dozen. Trying to rejuvenate any respective vicinity with money spent but it doesn't always work. Some degenerate areas just can't be saved despite how much cash or ideas are splashed at them or proposals put forward. In any event, wish them well with their endeavors.