IGNORED

Mostly team for the rest of the season

Will be hoping its Pienaar left, Drenthe Right, Fellaini, Gibson/Rodwell (whoever is fit) middle, Cahill/Osman just in front, and Jelavic up front. Or 4-4-2 Straq and Jelavic and remove the forward running midfielder, that would be my middle and attack, defence picks itself, But i'd think about Neville or Coleman right back.

Drenthe would be a nightmare for defenders and defensive midfielders, having someone who can dribble with pace means standing off is usually the best option, but the fact that he can shoot or pass if they do that means they have a problem. You would likely find that teams would double up on him - play coleman on the right and it opens up the pass to the overlap.

Drenthe would be a nightmare for defenders and defensive midfielders, having someone who can dribble with pace means standing off is usually the best option, but the fact that he can shoot or pass if they do that means they have a problem. You would likely find that teams would double up on him - play coleman on the right and it opens up the pass to the overlap.

The only thing Drenthe is a nightmare to is himself and Moyes, i agree with Mike, it would just be more players for him to run into, then you want to play Coleman in the same team unsure.png that will give me nightmares, the thought is already

The only thing Drenthe is a nightmare to is himself and Moyes, i agree with Mike, it would just be more players for him to run into, then you want to play Coleman in the same team unsure.png that will give me nightmares, the thought is already

Did Drenthe cuckold you or something? You realize he's still our most effective player by far this season, right? I agree he should stay on the wing though. Just try and get into a one on one and try to beat him for the cross or the shot on goal.

Like it or not, Drenthe has more natural ability than the majority of our team, it's easier to teach him better decision making than it is to teach Nev how to pass a ball.

What's more infuriating - drenthe getting tackled after tring to beat a man or Neville conceding possiion with another floaty chippy pass? Drenth has more than double the assist of anyone else in the club... assists per minute he is right up there with valencia, silva, giggs. He is the most fouled, has the most dribble completions, he attacks, has shots that actually trouble the keeper.

Seriously I'm at a loss here as to why we are unsure about him, if we had Man City's squad then yeah I would understand, as stated by the executioners blog "The qualities he has simply can’t be taught whilst the small issues with his defensive play can be worked on."

What I think Moyes will play -

Howard

Hibbo Hetinga Distin Baines

Fellaini Rodwell

Drenthe Cahill Pienaar

Jelavic

What I would like to see -

Howard

Hibbo Hetinga Distin Baines

Drenthe Fellaini Rodwell/Osman Pienaar

Jelavic Straq

I think Straq deserves to be ahead of Jelavic until he proves himself, and I hope he starts tomorrow along with Osman.

he should stay on the bench...probably straight back in though...and i'm with haf i'm baffled by the slating of drenthe...ok he loses the ball..but when he doesn't look what he does with it...if he didn't ever lose the ball he wouldn't be here..simple as that..in the centre it could work..might not work..could he be less effective than cahill has been this season? no...i feel the over cautious approach moyes takes has rubbed off on the fans..we complained when arteta did nothing but pass it sideways...we have someone who wants to go forward..we complain cos he sometimes loses it...fuck me what do people want?

Edited by marcopaulo

Like it or not, Drenthe has more natural ability than the majority of our team, it's easier to teach him better decision making than it is to teach Nev how to pass a ball.

What's more infuriating - drenthe getting tackled after tring to beat a man or Neville conceding possiion with another floaty chippy pass? Drenth has more than double the assist of anyone else in the club... assists per minute he is right up there with valencia, silva, giggs. He is the most fouled, has the most dribble completions, he attacks, has shots that actually trouble the keeper.

Seriously I'm at a loss here as to why we are unsure about him, if we had Man City's squad then yeah I would understand, as stated by the executioners blog "The qualities he has simply can’t be taught whilst the small issues with his defensive play can be worked on."

Drenthe is a wasted talent, as i have said before, i can see why he went to Real Madrid, but i can see also why he failed at Madrid, as for Neville, well thats down to the manager, it's not his fault, he should be nowhere near the squad imo, Moyes is at fault for that.

...and i'm with haf i'm baffled by the slating of drenthe...

Not slating him at all (and certainly not comparing him to Neville so I don't know what that's abouthuh.png ), he's just infuriating at times....doing twenty seven step overs when the (hugely less talented) defender knows that the ball is going nowhere so just pokes in a toe and runs off with it is embarrassing.

He has potential and I'd keep him, as I've said before, but he has moments when I just want to hide behind the sofa, that I'd collapse laughing at if they were perpetrated by an opposition player.

He has a lot to learn....and I don't think sticking him in the middle would help. Most likely result would be a red card from his attempts at tackling back.

Drenthe is a wasted talent, as i have said before, i can see why he went to Real Madrid, but i can see also why he failed at Madrid, as for Neville, well thats down to the manager, it's not his fault, he should be nowhere near the squad imo, Moyes is at fault for that.

I just think with Drenthe he plays the numbers game... he knows and the full back knows that at some stage he will beat them, when he does his delivery is normally executed with pace and right in the corridor of uncertainty. If he attempts 5 and achieves 3 I will be more than happy with that.

I agree with the majority here on Drenthe - everyone moans about our midfielders playing sideways balls all the time (Gibson) and players hoofing the ball (Neville), and now some people are complaining about a pacy winger who takes players on? Yeah he gets things wrong, but who doesn't? As long as he doesn't do it on the edge of our own box, we can easily compensate for that. As long as he does it high up the pitch, if he gives away possession, the opposition still has Fellaini, Rodwell, Heitinga, Distin and Howard to get through as well until it actually costs us anything.

There was actually a phase this season of 4-5 matches where I noticed Drenthe scored or assisted EVERY league goal we scored, up until he got sent off against Chelsea in the Carling Cup and couldn't get back into the side. If we have the opportunity to sign a player on a free transfer, who has more natural talent than arguably any other member of our squad, why is there even a question mark? Yes he can make mistakes, he can be frustrating, and he's no Cristiano Ronaldo, but he is valuable to our side.

Anyway, back to the topic:

Personally, I'd like to see this:

Howard

Hibbert Heits Distin/Jags Baines

Rodwell Fellaini

Drenthe Osman Pienaar

Strac/Jela

CB: Not really fussed between Jags and Distin, as long as Heitinga isn't put back on the bench or into midfield. Distin has been more solid than Jagielka in my opinion, but in the long run, its more important for Jagielka and Heitinga to build up an understanding and confidence as a partnership, given Distin's age.

CF: Its hard to choose between Stracqualursi and Jelavic. Given his transfer fee you'd hope that Jelavic shows more all round ability than Stracqualursi and subsequently justify a position as first choice striker, but even if Denis is first choice, which I wouldn't be at all upset about, I think there would still be a necessity to rotate, given Strac's work rate. After his running against Man City, just for example, he could probably have done with coming off a bit earlier, and/or being rested against Wigan, which is where we'd be looking at giving Jelavic his chance.

However, what team do I think Moyes will play?

I don't know. The permutations are endless. He seems to find any excuse to play Neville, I can't see him going too many games without starting Cahill, and he still seems reluctant to play Drenthe. I honestly think the only 4 players we can be sure about playing pretty much every game are Howard, Baines, Fellaini and Pienaar. It will be something from:

GK Howard

RB Hibbert/Neville

CB 2 of Heitinga/Jagielka/Distin

LB Baines

DM Fellaini & Rodwell/Gibson/Neville/Cahill

RW Osman/Coleman/Drenthe

LW Pienaar

AM Cahill/Osman

CF Stracqualursi/Jelavic

Hopefully we'll see Barkley, Duffy and Maggie (who impressed me a lot vs Blackpool) get their chance as well before the season's out.

Edited by adziom

Howard

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines

Coleman Rodwell Fellaini Pienaar

Cahill

Jelavic

Osman rotated with Cahill, and Drenthe with Coleman, Anichebe with Jelavic

What I'd prefer

Howard

Coleman Heitinga Duffy Baines

Rodwell Fellaini

Drenthe Barkley Gueye

Jelavic

45 mins for Baxter/Anichebe and Vellios/McAleny

Junior rotated with Rodwell and Fellaini

Only need 7 points and would blood the youngsters in good and proper for next season.

Only need 7 points and would blood the youngsters in good and proper for next season.

With every place up the league worth (I think) £500,000 in prize money that's not going to happen though....and we're currently only six points off a possible Europa spot.

We'll play (what Moyes thinks is) our strongest team for the rest of the season....can't afford not to.

With every place up the league worth (I think) £500,000 in prize money that's not going to happen though....and we're currently only six points off a possible Europa spot.

We'll play (what Moyes thinks is) our strongest team for the rest of the season....can't afford not to.

Whoops, thought I'd put FA cup win with the rest of the first teamers.

I know it would never happen, but would be refreshing to see something different from Moyes.