IGNORED

A night to remember

Dalziel Kane

Don't know what all that damn nonsense was before the last post, safe to say it had nothing to do with the tragedy itself.

Let's be clear, I wasn't on board that night, witness accounts over the years have been muddled and varied, even to this day we may not know the full extent of what went on, all survivors are deceased, and everybody must have been caught up in their own business that night. Captain Smith is a bit of a mystery, as far as we know no firearm was used, they knew they were going to die, he had the chance to save himself but was insistant on going down with his ship, he was asleep at time of impact and rushed to the bridge, little else is known of his whereabouts in the last hour and a half of the ship's life, he was uncharacteristically indecisive that night and panic seemed to have taken over from his normal phlegmatic demeanor. He was last seen at the ships wheel or in the vicinity after given the abandon ship order but this was some time before the vessel sank, no one knows for sure what happened thereafter and his body was never recovered.

Cheif engineer seemed to be a Joseph Bell by all accounts, he played a pivotal part in staying behind and attending to duties. His actions on board the ship, along with others in his engineering team who stayed at their posts and maintained power to the vessel until its very last moments, have been credited with ensuring the already horrific death toll was not higher. Also no pistol suicide could be determined, in that he simply chose it seems to go down with the ship. A memorial service was held in his honor at Carlisle at the weekend as part of the anniversary 'celebrations'

Hope this helped you out

Thanks for that, I'm curious as to your obvious interest in the Titanic.

I remember having to see the film (which is also tragic, but in the other sense of the word) at the cinema and being utterly stunned whilst walking out when a girl said "I cant believe it was so sad, I didnt think the boat would sink".....

She was serious too mellow.png

I remember having to see the film (which is also tragic, but in the other sense of the word) at the cinema and being utterly stunned whilst walking out when a girl said "I cant believe it was so sad, I didnt think the boat would sink".....

She was serious too mellow.png

Already been mentioned in the link provided, in that a fair number of kids today and at time of the theater release actually never knew the incident even occured, were under the impression it was all a big Hollywood number and no harm done etc, bit of a disservice to the 1,500 who lost their lives when some dumb fucking kids trivialize such an incident and seemed adamant the 1912 incident never occured, the level of todays education is indeed a concern. dry.png

Never been a fan of the Cameron release, there was no insipid love story on the boat that night, no 'Jack' or 'Rose' every damn two minutes, athough to be fair it isn't a bad representation of what happened, but the awful Celine Dion music is the death knell for it. A Night to Remember is much more faithful and common sense.

Someone asked why I have an interest in this, Southampton is as famous for the Titanic as Liverpool is for the Beatles, there's a many number of historical testaments to the incident and was of course, the leaving point that day of the historic liner, it is synonymous with the events of 1912, add to that, always had an interest in nautical things and ship disasters and they don't come much bigger than this. I've been waiting a while of the 100th anniversary to come round, it's a big occasion for me.

Already been mentioned in the link provided, in that a fair number of kids today and at time of the theater release actually never knew the incident even occured, were under the impression it was all a big Hollywood number and no harm done etc, bit of a disservice to the 1,500 who lost their lives when some dumb fucking kids trivialize such an incident and seemed adamant the 1912 incident never occured, the level of todays education is indeed a concern. dry.png

Never been a fan of the Cameron release, there was no insipid love story on the boat that night, no 'Jack' or 'Rose' every damn two minutes, athough to be fair it isn't a bad representation of what happened, but the awful Celine Dion music is the death knell for it. A Night to Remember is much more faithful and common sense.

Dalziel, I think it's a very big assumption that there was 'no loving' going on !! That we'll never know.

You don't like the fact that 'kids' didn't know about the disaster, well you have that Hollywood film you hate so much to thank for a whole new generation now knowing about that night.Kids would rather go to the cinema than read a book!

Certainly has been a lot of coverage about the event, I guess you've had plenty to go at.

Another small story I can add, is an old lady friend of my Mother-in-law was in possession of a letter written by a survivour of the Titanic.Think she sold it years back!

Someone asked why I have an interest in this, Southampton is as famous for the Titanic as Liverpool is for the Beatles, there's a many number of historical testaments to the incident and was of course, the leaving point that day of the historic liner, it is synonymous with the events of 1912, add to that, always had an interest in nautical things and ship disasters and they don't come much bigger than this. I've been waiting a while of the 100th anniversary to come round, it's a big occasion for me.

Thats why it called a movie and not a documentary. People are dumb and need a Jack and Rose, to fork over their notes.

I had you down as about 40 years old or more, seriously, I usually get caught out with ages though on these forum things wherever I go

It wasn't just me who took issue with it either, I was involved in the same debate on a non soccer related page with other participants this week and the whole general consensus was 'dumb kids' and 'I couldn't believe it either'

You can argue 'til the day is long but bottom line, they took a serious and devastating incident, made a second movie about it, and the showpiece event was an awful unsavory (Winslet looked old enough to be DiCaprios mother) dry.png love story, and the actual incident seemed to take second stage, I just found it flippant in the wake of the actual incident, bit of disrespect to the people involved maybe that night. You won't change my view on it.

Winslet didn't get too naked either from I can remember, sure there may have been clothes off and all but nothing to get carried away about, she's not even that good looking either, worth saying such an incident never even took place in 1912 either, but you already knew that.

It did have the word 'fuck' included, as in 'Fuck me, an Iceberg' etc when the lookout crew first spotted it.

Maybe that wasn't the operative word when they first spotted it, just seems inappropriate from a 1912 perspective.

It was a 12 certificate release and is, on VHS and DVD releases to the best of my knowledge, but after seeing it from front to back at any given time thought such a classification was maybe inappropriate, some kids may not really enjoy it.

• 11 months later...

I apologize unreservedly to those who don't favor the resurrection of old threads but I felt this was relevant

Tonight is the 101st anniversary of the RMS Titanic sinking.

In fact, right now, 11-45 pm, was the moment of impact when the ship hit the ice, and you can picture the rest. In less than three hours, the ship would be two miles under the sea at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean with the loss of over two thirds of the 2,250 people who made the trip, many who never reached New York or got to the intended destination.

I'd just like to honor the people who lost their lives this night on what must be a poignant few hours for some. Always been interested in nautical events and they never come much bigger than this.

Still an incident, as with others, that could so easily have been prevented. The relevant people never were prosecuted. RIP those who lost their lives.

http://www.warfaremagazine.co.uk/articles/Who-Sank-the-Titanic-The-Final-Verdict/12

Found my grandads medals at Christmas, checked with my mum, looks like he wasnt making it up! There's several in there, one is a star with a black ribbon the others are round with other coloured ribbons. Left the in Liverpool, will take some photos next time, if I remember

Edited by Matt

Found my grandads medals at Christmas, checked with my mum, looks like he wasnt making it up! There's several in there, one is a star with a black ribbon the others are round with other coloured ribbons. Left the in Liverpool, will take some photos next time, if I remember

You can buy Titanic medals in most shops nowadays shaking%20fist.png .

You can buy Titanic medals in most shops nowadays shaking%20fist.png .

im sure you can, but I've got some with some papers in a Cadburys Fingers tin ( tho not for Titanic ) with family names on. Went to the museum in July last year. A bit disappointing to be honest, but you can search through all the names of those who were on board and how they fared. Expected to see more relics, hence the disappointment Edited by Matt

im sure you can, but I've got some with some papers in a Cadburys Fingers tin ( tho not for Titanic ) with family names on. Went to the museum in July last year. A bit disappointing to be honest, but you can search through all the names of those who were on board and how they fared. Expected to see more relics, hence the disappointment

My Grandad was in the Navy and has a few medals from his time there. I'm sure that the ones you have are something to be proud of, especially given how big the legacy of the Titanic has become.

I don't believe me and Matt were arguing? I don't believe its insensitive to bring up the Titanic thread either, those people died too just like the 96 did. What makes Hillsborough more important?

Zoo, I personally don't give a flying fuck what you think, so quit following me around correcting me.

Love family history like that (taking this off topic a bit so DK will probably give me a tongue lashing).....have this photo of Josh as a kid wearing my great grandfather's OBE....sadly lost to me now after being left to a different bit of the family when his last daughter (my great aunt) died....

It's nice to have an ancestor with a Wiki page smile.pnghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Rankine

joshua_obe_zps8e2cac56.jpg

I'm not going to criticize you, regardless of position, not on events like this. These are serious matters.

I was just answering to the Hillsborough debate, and reading some above (asinine) replies, and what you have here, has nothing to do with what occured in Sheffield. Two completely different incidents. They occured at the same time of year, what can be done ? There's one thread for one incident and respects, and one for another. This is for the 2,200 people who lost their lives in the biggest recognized nautical tragedy you will find. Nothing more. Other later events really shouldn't be brought into it, or aren't even relevant.

Of course it wasn't until 1985 that they found the wreckage, two miles below the surface, some 400 miles off Newfoundland Canada, so can imagine what a painstaking and difficult endeavor it must have been, all those years, to have eventually come across the sunken ship, and even now, there's so much more to discover about an incident that occured over a century ago.

May as well, while the opportunity presents itself, have a swipe at the ill-advised decision to make an awful piece of crap movie about it, with a fabricated and nauseating love story angle, when the original 1950s release, should have been the one, and only, true film release.