IGNORED

A night to remember

Dalziel Kane

Today was not the only significant date in history that was worth a mention.

15th April 1912

May have noticed I have something of an interest in this and today is the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic some 400 miles off Newfoundland, Canada, they don't get much bigger than this you know.

Watching a film now about it from the 1950s, don't think much of it really

Where do we start on such a mammoth event in history?

Here's the simple facts-

The Ship was not designed properly

If it has continued ahead and hit the Iceberg head on instead of trying to get past by the side the ship would have been saved

Someone left the Binoculars behind at Southampton before they initially left

There was only a third of lifejackets available for the passengers on board

There was no 'unsavory or vomit inducing love stroy' such as James Camerons' movie representation that night. No fucking 'Jack' or 'Rose' on board in 1912, that was a fictitious love story, just thrown in to go with the Big bangs and Hollywood effects

The Titanic was travelling way too fast at time of impact which subsequently proved fatal

The Titanic can never be raised intact

The Building cost of the liner would be about $ 470,000,000 in todays money

Many men disguised themselves as ladies to board lifeboats

The Titanic was one of the very first ships to use the SOS Signal

The nearest ship to answer the first distress call that night was called 'a fool' by Titanic radio operator Jack Phillips when they merely asked what was wrong

The nearest ship at time of impact was the Carpathia but was 59 miles away and four hours out, not enough time to reach Titanic in time to save lives

Of the esimtated 2,230 people aboard that night, little more than 700 were rescued or survived

The very first man to spot the Iceberg that night, a Mr Frederick Fleet (lookout post) survived the disaster and lived well into old age before taking his own life by way of hanging himself at home in 1965 on his garden washing line

RIP to all those who lost their lives a century ago today

Titanic_before.jpg

Such things were going on at the time but there's little reason to believe the captain of a ship on it's maiden voyage would put the boat in harms way simply on the basis for trying to outrun similar vessels, Yes they were going faster than they were at time of impact but were not involved in any race so to speak.

Your great Grandpa may well have been having you on I feel, unless you can show, or bring some tangible evidence it seems a little far fetched maybe, but still within the boundaries of plausibility, i.e. there's no way to determine such a thing never happened but I don't know.

Your great Grandpa may well have been having you on I feel, unless you can show, or bring some tangible evidence it seems a little far fetched maybe..

Unless you have some tangible evidence that he wasn't on it how could you possibly comment on whether it's far fetched or not?

Such things were going on at the time but there's little reason to believe the captain of a ship on it's maiden voyage would put the boat in harms way simply on the basis for trying to outrun similar vessels, Yes they were going faster than they were at time of impact but were not involved in any race so to speak.

Your great Grandpa may well have been having you on I feel, unless you can show, or bring some tangible evidence it seems a little far fetched maybe, but still within the boundaries of plausibility, i.e. there's no way to determine such a thing never happened but I don't know.

how about a medal?

How can you question him? Why would it matter if he had his docking papers or not? If you don't know what happened, as you keep saying, how can you dismiss Matt's Granddad's story straight off? Were you there?

Matt seemed a bit skeptical himself at the end, and I sort of picked up on it from there. It was like, well that's what he (Grandpa) said, but not sure how far we should look into it, of course we can't prove if he really was there or not, but given the scale of the event some would argue the validity of such a story, it's just an automatic assumption some would make, no offense if the great grandpa was really on board that night, if so, what a tale to pass on to future generations, I raise my hat to the man if he really was a passenger that day and lived to tell.

I'ts like someone you talk to at a bus stop etc, 'I saw Kennedy shot',/ 'I saw Campbell break the land speed record', /, 'I was there when Nero fiddled while Rome burnt' etc, all we can do is make our own judgments, the bigger the event the harder it can be to believe sometimes, is all I'm saying.

There's a bit of a difference between being in attendance at a soccer game that occurs week in week out and being part of the once in a lifetime, greatest and most historical nautical disaster known to mankind.

Not sure what great matches you really refer to either?

I think all said, if matts relative really was on board that night, then fair enough, I accept it, I was merely a bit initially skeptical, as would some others doubtless. There's no way to say he wasn't, it's all fine and dandy etc, It was a bit of a shock when I first read it though.

That's true, there is no way to determine that, but you could say that about every participant that's ever been on TT since it's inauguration to be fair. Only mentioned the one game anyway.

This is supposed to be a Titanic 100 years tribute thread by the way, and some interesting clips to see maybe..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpIiuxzpdk

The modern sinking animation does look quite factual, if not impressive.

That's true, there is no way to determine that, but you could say that about every participant that's ever been on TT since it's inauguration to be fair.

True...but you get a pretty good feeling over the years who's real and who talks crapsmile.png .

I'm a trusting person....and I tend to believe people until they're proven to be lying.

Back on course!

Work with a chap whos grandfather had tickets for the Titanic, was hoping for a new life in Canada.Close family member died of polio, so the trip was put off for a time.Travelled across the Atlantic later on the 'Carpathia' !!

He would have been in 3rd class on the Titanic, so his chances would have been slim.Didn't work out for him in Canada and he returned a while later.

Have been reading some of the repro newspapers on the Titanic disaster.A report in the Daily Mirror dated Tuesday April 16 1912 states that a Mr C.H Stengel a first class passanger SAW! large chuncks of ice thrown onto the decks killing a number of people!

Also a number of survivors stated that Captain Smith and the cheif engineer killed themselves with a revolver!...two little stories of the terrible night that I'd never heard before.

Dalziel Kane, can you shed any light on either of these two accounts!

Don't know what all that damn nonsense was before the last post, safe to say it had nothing to do with the tragedy itself.

Let's be clear, I wasn't on board that night, witness accounts over the years have been muddled and varied, even to this day we may not know the full extent of what went on, all survivors are deceased, and everybody must have been caught up in their own business that night. Captain Smith is a bit of a mystery, as far as we know no firearm was used, they knew they were going to die, he had the chance to save himself but was insistant on going down with his ship, he was asleep at time of impact and rushed to the bridge, little else is known of his whereabouts in the last hour and a half of the ship's life, he was uncharacteristically indecisive that night and panic seemed to have taken over from his normal phlegmatic demeanor. He was last seen at the ships wheel or in the vicinity after given the abandon ship order but this was some time before the vessel sank, no one knows for sure what happened thereafter and his body was never recovered.

Cheif engineer seemed to be a Joseph Bell by all accounts, he played a pivotal part in staying behind and attending to duties. His actions on board the ship, along with others in his engineering team who stayed at their posts and maintained power to the vessel until its very last moments, have been credited with ensuring the already horrific death toll was not higher. Also no pistol suicide could be determined, in that he simply chose it seems to go down with the ship. A memorial service was held in his honor at Carlisle at the weekend as part of the anniversary 'celebrations'

Hope this helped you out

I'm not one for laughing Mr Paulo, no clown 'fits and spinning ties this end.

But, incidentally, there was some genuine humor to be had , or was it concern, that some dumb fucking kids out there thought the actual event in question never occured, nobody died, it was a fictitious event, they only made a movie about it with some big hollywood star and some obscure british actress, a bit of a deluded love story inolved, get the sodas and popcorn, boat sinks, have a cry and then leave the theaters, i.e. no harm done as the fucking thing never occured etc, I really worry about the state of todays education, and if some dumb kids out there really are our future, then Armageddon can't come soon enough, yeah it probably did raise a smile in a sense, probably at the desperation of the situation.

Have a look at this link, if you can get past the damn commercials flashing away and some trivial leather faced 'celebrities' I couldn't give a fuck about ,just how dumb some of todays younger generation are, last one to leave turn out the lights and all..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2129971/Titanic-100th-anniversary-Twitter-users-just-Titanic-really-happened.html