IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Looks like it's Coyle...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22902197

I think thats a decent choice for them. I think Coyle got caught out by trying to change the ethos at Bolton. They went from Big Sam's long ball style of play to two terrible managers in Little Sam and Megson and whilst he managed to do well with them in his first season they were terrible in his second season. Coyle's Burnley side played some excellent football and trying to make that change at Bolton would have be difficult (especially considering the shite the two managers in between would have left him).

Wigan already play good football and with the right signings I think they will be able to compete for the play off spots in the league.

Allardyce should never have left Bolton in the first place. Maybe got bored in the end and wanted a fresh challenge but he usually did well. Owen Coyle was a decent player, not all up on his managerial expertise so can't really comment but he's got a job on his hands to get Athletic back into the EPL after Martinez' departure. Wish him well in his activities.

iHZpkmAziQ8K4.gif

It's even prettier from a lower camera angle where you can really see how he hits it, but I can't find that.

He really is a top player. The Norwegian defender took the dummy a bit too easily but even so, he sorted his feet out so quickly and poked it straight into the corner. We need to find a cheaper version of him :)

Leroy Fer has a bit of Tim Cahill about him aerially. He lingers in the air for so long and looks so dominant, although Tim would have put that chance away!

Shame he has only just come on and hasnt been given more time.

I've often wondered whether there's any scientific case for players being able to hang in the air, so I just had a google...wish I hadn't :unsure:.

"From a physicist's point of view, since a human body is not a rigid body not instantaneous apparent stationarity in mid-air is certainly possible. Specifically, part of a human body can be genuinly non moving for a finite time interval if the mechanical and dynamical possibilities of it are appropriately used and by this I mean technique: bending the body on the right moment and in the right way.

What is to be achieved in terms of Newtonian mechanics and gravitation goes along this lines: any body (actually any mass or energy content, that is, everything) close to the surface of the earth is subjected to a constant acceleration (usually called g for gravity and equals 9.81 meters per second squared approximately, this attenuates with the square of the distance as one moves away) which forces the center of mass of the body to move in a parabola, as is readily shown by solving Newtons' equations. If a body is thrown vertically, the parabola is trivialized to a straight line trajectory with speed gradually reaching zero instantanesouly on the moment that the upward movement turns to downward and the body starts falling. Without loss of generality for our purpose this can be taken to be the case for a footballer going for a header.

Now, any part (point) of a (non rotating) rigid body will inevitably follow this trajectory and will be non moving only instantaneously (for exactly zero time). A human however can allocate energy such as to move parts of his body deliberately in such a manner that in keeping with the inevitability of the continuous movement along the parabola trajectory of the center of mass, other parts of the body (say, shoulders and upper torso) remain stationary for a finite time interval. I would say the right moment to do this is the zero velocity instance for the c.o.m. This would mean suspension in mid-air for the part of the body that would be useful to be still in order to coordinate a perfect header.

The difference of course between a physicist and a footballer is that the first is totally incompetent on how to actually achieve this and the second probably couldn't care less on what the first has to say since it wouldn't be of any help to him i guess."

U21 final starting in fifteen minutes. Bardi; Donati, Bianchetti, Caldirola, Regini; Florenzi, Rossi, Verratti, Insigne; Borini, Immobile vs De Gea; Montoya, Bartra, Martinez, Moreno; Koke, Illarramendi, Thiago; Tello, Morata, Isco. Spain's coach finally starting Morata over Rodrigo, he's still persisting with Tello though.

Spain 4-2 Italy.

The dominance continues..

It's only the kids involved. They could be their countries future, but right now, the senior side isn't what it was.

Germany have probably got a better all round talented and threatening squad than Spain (or the rest of Europe) at the moment on senior level. Their up and comers can't be bad either.

I don't believe they'll even be in the final next year in south america.

Hungary were a better all round team in the 1950s but never actually won anything, they lasted a few years and slowly fell away. You could well see a similar scenario here. France from say (1998 - 2001) would be another example. These great sides are never short lived, someone always comes along and takes over. Still insist Germany will be the next world power.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Spain won Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 & Euro 2012. They dominated world football and brushed anyone aside who challenged them. The players that they did this with are still in the team (so I don't see why they would suddenly get worse) and when the Spain-era as we know it is over then the U-21's have more than proved that they can step up to the plate.

Germany, the force everyone is rimming went out in the group stages.

Germany, the force everyone is rimming went out in the group stages.

Spain did come with their best team, while Germany didn't. Götze, Kroos, Gündogan, Draxler, Schürrle, ter Stegen were all eligible to play for Germany but didn't, and I might even be forgetting a couple.

Edited by Steve_E