IGNORED

Fellaini - Defensive Midfielder

Romey 1878

While we are building we need players to just get stuck in and be versatile. In a perfect world, we could have all our players where they prefer, but we don't have that kind of squad.

Thing is, Felli could be playing in he middle if Moyes wanted him too. He's upfront in the Cahill position at the moment, we have Pienaar/Mirallas/Naismith now, 2/3 of them can do the wide duties with the 3rd playing in behind Jelavic. Fellaini doesn't need to play upfront, albeit he is doing well, but imo if HE says he would prefer to play defensive, then the chances are we would get more out of him in his favourite position.

He should keep playing behind the striker. He may be better as more of a box-to-box or defensive midfielder, we as a team are better when he plays off the striker imo. Jelavic can't keep hold off the ball up front despite having the body to do so imo, Fellaini can which just allows us to play more dominant. When everyone's fit, just have Gibson and Osman in front of the defense, Pienaar and Mirallas on the wings, Fellaini and Jelavic up front.

Also, he's got 8 goals and 4 assists in 13 league games. Keep him where he is.

Edited by Steve_E

He should keep playing behind the striker. He may be better as more of a box-to-box or defensive midfielder, we as a team are better when he plays off the striker imo. Jelavic can't keep hold off the ball up front despite having the body to do so imo, Fellaini can which just allows us to play more dominant. When everyone's fit, just have Gibson and Osman in front of the defense, Pienaar and Mirallas on the wings, Fellaini and Jelavic up front.

Also, he's got 8 goals and 4 assists in 13 league games. Keep him where he is.

If we pass it along the ground instead of hoofing it then we wouldn't need to worry about this though.

If we pass it along the ground instead of hoofing it then we wouldn't need to worry about this though.

How is that? You still need someone that will keep hold off the ball in that position high up the pitch, be it from a hoof from our own half or a short pass from midfield, or we won't ever get into their box. We'll always need someone to be able to play with his back to goal if you want to build up play, whatever way you choose to do that.

How is that? You still need someone that will keep hold off the ball in that position high up the pitch, be it from a hoof from our own half or a short pass from midfield, or we won't ever get into their box. We'll always need someone to be able to play with his back to goal if you want to build up play, whatever way you choose to do that.

if we are passing it about across the pitch as a team then the players should be moving at the same time to make space for each other and in anticipation for the through ball, no need for hold up play imo, certainly not as much as we do it anyway, comes down to tactics at the end of the day.

however i do somewhat agree with what you are saying, in that Jelavic is a proper lightweight considering the size of him.

Edited by Simon

if we are passing it about across the pitch as a team then the players should be moving at the same time to make space for each other and in anticipation for the through ball, no need for hold up play imo, certainly not as much as we do it anyway, comes down to tactics at the end of the day.

however i do somewhat agree with what you are saying, in that Jelavic is a proper lightweight considering the size of him.

Unless you're Barcelona that's not going to work though. I think you ideally always have an option to pass it to ahead of you in the centre who'll you just pass it on in one touch or keep hold of the ball.

Whereas Jelavic tends to lose the aerial duel when the ball is hoofed or fails to keep his defender behind him in his back when the ball is played in to him on the ground.

Edited by Steve_E

Do you guys honestly think he's better in a DM position? huh.png

Cause i believe this offensive midfielder thing he does now isreally a job for a player like him. He's harder to defend against than that he's good at defending/controlling. So honestly I think EFC need to buy another holding mid and let fella play as a number 10, flanked by Mirallas and Pienaar.

Do you guys honestly think he's better in a DM position? huh.png

Cause i believe this offensive midfielder thing he does now isreally a job for a player like him. He's harder to defend against than that he's good at defending/controlling. So honestly I think EFC need to buy another holding mid and let fella play as a number 10, flanked by Mirallas and Pienaar.

I think his best position is box-to-box in a 4-2-3-1. With a passing holding midfielder next to him, like Xabi Alonso or Luka Modric or someone along those lines. And a more creative, real number ten in front of him, along the likes of Fabregas.

I think his best position is box-to-box in a 4-2-3-1. With a passing holding midfielder next to him, like Xabi Alonso or Luka Modric or someone along those lines. And a more creative, real number ten in front of him, along the likes of Fabregas.

Yep, my thoughts exactly, trouble is we have no cash to buy anyone with talent unless we sell Felli, so I suppose it's a vicious circle.

Yeah but his passing isn't great, his defending and tackling aren't great and his insights aren't great. In short, he isn't a great defensive/box-to-box midfielder. His main merits are his tallness for heading, his turns and chest controls and just the fact that he has pretty much of a killer instinct at certain moments. That's why in my opinion, he's way better up front, right behind the striker. The only reason I wouldn't make him a striker is cause usually he sleeps through most of the game.

Edited by Mirallas

Yeah but his passing isn't great, his defending and tackling aren't great and his insights aren't great. In short, he isn't a great defensive/box-to-box midfielder. His main merits are his tallness for heading, his turns and chest controls and just the fact that he has pretty much of a killer instinct at certain moments. That's why in my opinion, he's way better up front, right behind the striker. The only reason I wouldn't make him a striker is cause usually he sleeps through most of the game.

No player won the ball more than he did last season (http://www.eplindex....rison-1112.html) and he had the highest success % with his tackles in the league as well (you'll find the source for that on the same site, can't be bothered to find it).

Edited by Steve_E

That's his duelling force, it has nothing to do with interventions.

What do you mean? The article I linked states:

These combine all types of tackles and duels won with the added understanding that possession must be kept by the team. Often players can win tackles however the ball goes out of play for a throw to the opposition, this is a tackle won but not a possession gain.

Seems like a great stat to measure the quality of his defending.

you need a good long think.

He's not a striker we use him as one because we like to hoof the ball up , if we played it forward along the ground jelavic would be able to hold it up and lay it off, we need pace up front its obvious everyone can defend high up knowing fellaini and jelavic wont get to the ball if we go get a counter, teams are getting on to this now.

Edited by Blue4Ever

I feel a hell of a lot more confident defensively when he plays deeper, and I think that's reflected by our lack of clean sheets this season. But until we have someone better to play in there, it's clearly the most effective way attacking wise - just look at his stats. But I can almost guarantee if he was playing deeper we wouldn't have such a shaky defence. Might be time for Moyes to give Barkley a crack in the hole, at least later on in games when he can provide Jelavic those classic 'poacher' goals of his.

Fellaini has a much greater influence on the game as a DM. He's been effective as a Supporting Striker but that's taken its toll on Jelavic. Long passes up to Fellaini, don't allow the people in font a chance to receive at feet as often.

When Ossie was behind Jelly, he was able to find him more often and Jelavic was banging goals in. The likes of Pienaar's and Osman's game have suffered as a result of Fellaini's positioning. In an absolute ideal world, it would always be a CM partnership of Gibson and Fellaini.

Gibson - Long Passer, Interceptor, no nonsense, Sliding tackler

Fellaini - Short passer, Aerial threat, Technical player, Standing tackler

Both together, compliment each others game in the middle of the park. It allows the 'Front four' and 'Attacking Three', the ability to switch and 'float'. Fellaini playing at his best in the middle, is Everton as a team playing at their best. I doubt that in the latter stages of games, we'd get over run as much.

Fellaini has a much greater influence on the game as a DM. He's been effective as a Supporting Striker but that's taken its toll on Jelavic. Long passes up to Fellaini, don't allow the people in font a chance to receive at feet as often.

When Ossie was behind Jelly, he was able to find him more often and Jelavic was banging goals in. The likes of Pienaar's and Osman's game have suffered as a result of Fellaini's positioning. In an absolute ideal world, it would always be a CM partnership of Gibson and Fellaini.

Both together, compliment each others game in the middle of the park. It allows the 'Front four' and 'Attacking Three', the ability to switch and 'float'. Fellaini playing at his best in the middle, is Everton as a team playing at their best. I doubt that in the latter stages of games, we'd get over run as much.

All of Jelavic's goals last season came with either Cahill or Fellaini in behind him. I think him struggling now has more to do with his own form than with Fellaini playing behind him.

All of Jelavic's goals last season came with either Cahill or Fellaini in behind him. I think him struggling now has more to do with his own form than with Fellaini playing behind him.

Maybe he's suffering under the weather. Dark, cold, the nature is no longer pretty and green. Maybe he needs a short break to the southern hemisphere :P

I feel a hell of a lot more confident defensively when he plays deeper, and I think that's reflected by our lack of clean sheets this season. But until we have someone better to play in there, it's clearly the most effective way attacking wise - just look at his stats. But I can almost guarantee if he was playing deeper we wouldn't have such a shaky defence. Might be time for Moyes to give Barkley a crack in the hole, at least later on in games when he can provide Jelavic those classic 'poacher' goals of his.

Agree with this 100%, shame that Moyes doesn't.

I agree... Bar the odd moments of brilliance (ie Sunderland), I think Felli and Jelavic dont really suit each other. Jelavic thrives on through balls, trying to play on the last man and making runs into the box. Felli for the most part, plays with his back to goal. He brings it down excellently but most of the time it means he has to play it wide or backwards which doesnt help Jelavic at all.

Fellaini has done a great job upfront but he is a lot clumsier than someone like Osman would be in the same position. His final ball, shot and decision arent of the quality of a striker, they are of a defensive midfielder. He certainly has his moments though and he can hold his own up there.

However, as Steve_E says we arent really able to play the ball out of defence all the time and we do rely on that ball forward to Felli. With Gibson in the team we will improve in our ability to pass the ball forward and if we do move Fellaini back we need someone who can keep hold of the ball and use it intelligently. Mirallas was a bit outmuscled when he tried playing there, and he needs more space to run at players IMO and Pienaar is too wasteful most of the time and I like to see him keeping linking up with Baines. My choice would be Osman as his ball retention is excellent, especially when he has a bit more time (which he will have compared to playing as a CM) and i think Jelavic would be better suited to that combination. I would like to see Barkley gets some minutes in that type of role as well because that is where I see him playing over the next couple of seasons.

Edited by Bailey

Guest blueboy122

I think the whole teams benefits more when we play Felliani CM. That is where he can control the game and be a calming influence to the rest of the team and we would have better ball retention as it wouldnt mean Jags or Distin could boot the ball up every time we had possession they could give it to Fellani or Gibson. Its also clear that Jelly doesnt benefit from him playing there. We see the best of Jelly when we play in and around the box with our midfeild players.

All in all I think the team get a greater benefit from him playing deeper but for Felliani personally its better for him playing up top as it allows him to grab the plaudits and the appaulse of the fickle pundits who dont appreciate his world class talent when he dominates games from centre mid.

Guest blueboy122

It could also be an option to play Naismith there because he's not looking good out wide that's for sure!

He is the best example of a squad player, not good at anything but usefull in the squad.