IGNORED

FIFA Under 20 World Cup

c1982

I was paying more attention to a movie in my defense. Three, defeats, two defeats, one defeat, the fact of the matter is the kids have been eliminated and it's been an all-round poor showing from all you can ascertain. Doesn't bode well for the future. Still, they who laugh last, laugh longest etc

I watched all three matches and i wouldnt say it was a poor showing, we just lacked firepower.

We should have beat Iraq after leading 2.0 for most of the match and played really well.

Chile were a very good passing side but we still had the chances to beat them too.

And anyone who watched the match last night must be asking how we didnt win that one. We created ten good chances to score, its just seven of them went to Kane. His last miss was the type he will have nightmares over for years, it was worse than Rosenthals! If we just had a striker who can hit the target playing we would have won comfortably.

But overall our play up until the final shot was good, even the final ball to set up the chances was good. Barkley looked dangerous everytime he recieved the ball in the last third. He put chances on a plate for Kane. His turning on the ball and the way he accelerates IS world class!

Stones looks like he is also going to be a top player. Confident on the ball, great crosses, good pace and not scared to run at opponents. Very impressed with him.

Garbutt, didnt impress too much to be honest. his defending was ok but he made Hibbert look a great passer of the ball. Too many times he put in a long put up the line into the corner for no-one. But he only played the last match so didnt get much of a chance.

Long was energetic but didnt hold the ball well. When he had chance to shoot he put in a real effort. But again not enough time to get into it.

Lundstram was dissapointing for me. I have gone on about this kid and was really looking forward to him bossing the midfield, but he was played out wide and struggled to make an impact.

Dier ( yes i know hes not ours ) looked a good solid player without doing anything particulary great, though he did hit the bar with a sweet free-kick.

Overall as an Everton fan i think we had chance to get a good look at some of our coming stars. Barkley will be a first team player by the end of this season.

Jon Stones could also step-up this season.

Yes that was a comprehensive report but it doesn't make it so.

I actually have more of an interest in the junior side than seniors and in that, all a bit indifferent to what they do. The media doesn't go into overdrive or justify back page saturation coverage so can live with that. Fact of the matter is, from an outsiders perspective, the english kids couldn't progress from a winnable group or beat winnable opposition over three games so what does that say about the future.

I'm all for some of the Everton juniors getting involved but as a collective effort, this is the future of the national side. If they find it a struggle now, how's it going to shape up in future events. As it is, this under 21 tourney or whatever it was, and an opportunity for future names to shine or make an impression, has ended in faliure but that's not a license to make fun or derogatory comments. Just scope there for the players to have put on a better showing and made a progression but it wasn't to be. Some may be justified on the basis of all what recently occured for the future of english soccer, but we'll let it rest.

I understand Brazil played Spain in the final (?) but all a bit indifferent to the eventual victors in that. Fair enough, it may have been a different close season tournament, but there's been an awful lot of these competitions just recently - hard to keep up. Fair minded comments.

Theres a few competitions going on at the moment. The Brazil/Spain was the senior sides playing out the confederations cup.

The report was just how i saw it, thats all.

I watched young Everton players go to a tournament and a few of those players did themselevs justice.

A few others didnt.

Garbutts short performance showed us how important Bainsey is to us.

Barkely showed us that we have a ready made replacment for Ossie, and that losing Felli wouldnt be that huge of a disaster.

Stones could step into the team in the next twelve months and i could see why he is tipped to become a centre half, though a ball playing centre half.

As for the England team itself i would only ecpect three or four players from this set-up to ever procede to senior status. But that is normal. People put to much pressure on our youngsters and make them out to be the senior side of the future. Thats not true, they are just the most progressed u20s at the moment.

I remember watching a program about Messi and how they just let him play football and never tried to coach other skills into him, like tackling for instance. They just let him practise what he was good at and he perfected it.

We try too much to train our players to be good at everything, only thing is the end up being masters of nothing.