IGNORED

TTs Foreign Football Thread!

Attention all members, especially our friends from abroad!

The idea of the thread is for our members abroad to share their knowledge on their respective countries leagues, second teams, upcoming foreign players, etc. to help the rest of the TT community learn and expand on our collective footballing knowledge outside of the EPL.

Lets try and make this thread a repository of footballing knowledge :)

Edited by Matt

I dunno if you want to call Scotland "abroad" but I'm happy to mark your card with everything tartan. My default setting is always to expect the average English fan to be a bit dismissive of our football, and while that grates a little I'm used to it by know and to be fair we are pretty quick to don a hairshirt and decry our domestic leagues ourselves.

I'm a real glass half full man tho and I reckon our standard isn't that bad, at Tynecastle we are currently operating under a 15 point penalty and transfer embargo for going into administration during the summer, so times are hard, but we've clawed 7 points back in the first 5 games including wins against the "wee team" Hibs which is always a good day and Aberdeen. We only have two fit players over the age of 21 and our youngsters are an outstanding bunch, we have 11 players away on International duty this week at various age levels who are now performing miracles for the first team and competing with the hammer throwers in the SPFL.

Two in particular, I'm pretty sure will go on to emulate what James McCarthy has achieved in the Premiership, Jason Holt, who has been chased by Nottingham Forest over the summer and a 17 year old called Adam King who was the subject of a deadline day bid by Swansea on Monday.

Hearts aside there is a plethora of young talent coming through up here, mostly through necessity in these hard financial times, but with that comes the great chance for theses laddies to get first team exposure and the chance to make a name for themselves.

I'll keep you posted

I know a few people on here know I follow Dortmund quite a bit because I really admire how they "built" a team with astute buys and promoting from their youth system rather than the Bayern approach which was "Hoover up any players we can and it will click eventually".

I have a soft spot for teams who bring through their own little gems. Similar to ourselves. I started following PSV a bit more this year as I loosely followed them last year as they had a really promising group of youngsters in their team such as Kevin Strootman (linked with Utd), Jetro Willems (played for holland In the Euro's as their first choice LB at the age of 18) and Wijnaldum (promising CAM) they lost a couple of key senior players in the summer though, Dries Mertens being one of them, he plays similarly to Hazard but obviously not quite as good, would have loved him here but has gone to Napoli. This season though they have bought in Adam Maher from AZ Alkmaar. Anyone who watched the U21 Euro's or WC (can never remember which) should remember him. He is a very lively, technically gifted CAM which is a very good signing and will add so much to their team even after loosing Strootman and Mertens.

But it's the emergence of 19 year old Memphis Depay that really excites me. The guy plays with no fear and will try most anything on the pitch. I watched him recently against AC in their CL qualifier and he seemed so Un-phased by it all. He reminded me a lot of Ronaldo when he first came to the PL obviously there is a massive difference in class and I'm not saying he is the next Ronaldo but he was so fearless it was really refreshing. I think he will be one to watch.

But yeah there is my 2 cents worth :P

Edited by GoodisonRoad

There was an interesting article on the BBC website yesterday about the cost of watching football in the UK. It made very interesting reading and

made me realise that if I was to return I probably wouldn´t be able to afford to go every week. My season ticket at Almeria cost 290€ but having

said that tickets for the home game against Barcelona at the end of the month are going on general sale next week at between 150 and 190€.

So it is cheaper to watch in Spain but to get tickets to watch the "big two" clubs do rip fans off.

Edited by Alguna Vez Tonelada

There was an interesting article on the BBC website yesterday about the cost of watching football in the UK. It made very interesting reading and

made me realise that if I was to return I probably wouldn´t be able to afford to go every week. My season ticket at Almeria cost 290€ but having

said that tickets for the home game against Barcelona at the end of the month are going on general sale next week at between 150 and 190€.

So it is cheaper to watch in Spain but to get tickets to watch the "big two" clubs do rip fans off.

That's incredible...our tickets are slightly more expensive for "big" opposition but only by a few quid (eg Chelsea Upper Gwladys ticket £40 while equivalent for Newcastle is £35).

• 2 weeks later...

A wee update on how things are going at Tynecastle. We're on a losing streak league wise (3 in a row) but the performances aren't all that bad so hopefully we can turn the corner with that. Still 9 points adrift of 2nd bottom St Mirren, but they are truly awful and there's always hope we catch them soon.

We beat Queen of the South on penalties on Tuesday night to go through to the quarter finals of the League Cup up here...Celtic were knocked out at home to Morton so that leaves it wide open for probably 6 of the 8 teams left...we got beat in the final of this last year so it'd be great to get straight back and it's a cup I've not seen us lifting since we last won it in 1962. The great news for us is that we pulled Hibs out the hat so it's another Edinburgh derby for a place in the semi-final.....and yeah, we'll beat them :jump for joy: . Home to Dundee Utd on Saturday, it'll be as close to a sell out as matters and hopefully back to the kids picking up 3 points.

HHGH

A wee update on how things are going at Tynecastle. We're on a losing streak league wise (3 in a row) but the performances aren't all that bad so hopefully we can turn the corner with that. Still 9 points adrift of 2nd bottom St Mirren, but they are truly awful and there's always hope we catch them soon.

We beat Queen of the South on penalties on Tuesday night to go through to the quarter finals of the League Cup up here...Celtic were knocked out at home to Morton so that leaves it wide open for probably 6 of the 8 teams left...we got beat in the final of this last year so it'd be great to get straight back and it's a cup I've not seen us lifting since we last won it in 1962. The great news for us is that we pulled Hibs out the hat so it's another Edinburgh derby for a place in the semi-final.....and yeah, we'll beat them :jump for joy: . Home to Dundee Utd on Saturday, it'll be as close to a sell out as matters and hopefully back to the kids picking up 3 points.

HHGH

Reminds me of Everton a bit! Probably won't get a chance to watch it so keep me updated.

Is the Welsh Prem classed as foreign?

It's not really much different from the SPL. Just another league in the British Isles, that can serve up some decent play here and there. I was (as before) watching a little of it today but didn't find out the eventual score. We can get BBC ALBA also and they sometimes put on games from the League of Ireland and some Scots games. I think 'foreign' would include any play from outside the UK, such as the aforementioned Irish league for example.

It's not really much different from the SPL. Just another league in the British Isles, that can serve up some decent play here and there. I was (as before) watching a little of it today but didn't find out the eventual score. We can get BBC ALBA also and they sometimes put on games from the League of Ireland and some Scots games. I think 'foreign' would include any play from outside the UK, such as the aforementioned Irish league for example.

Ahem...it's a bit different from the SPL in that all the teams are rubbish by comparison DK :leggit:

Almeria 0 Barcelona 2

Almeria not disgraced at all by the result or the performance. If they can continue like this they will stay up. I think that Barca will probaby win la

liga but I think the Champions League will be beyond them. I do think that playing against Barca requires a rule change. Referees should allow

2 balls on the pitch to allow the opposition a feel of the ball now and again.

Edited by Alguna Vez Tonelada