IGNORED

Goal difference and league position

Each season, there appears to be a strong correlation between a team's league position and their goal difference - which is what you'd expect: The better the goal difference, the higher the team's position in the league. I've also noticed that this correlation is a good indicator of which teams are going to move up and down the table.

Looking at the EPL right now, based on goal difference, Man City should be at the top, followed by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Southampton, and Everton. In the mid-table, Swansea, Aston Villa, and West Brom should be level with ManU, while Hull and Newcastle should be below them. Near the bottom, Fulham should be above Cardiff, whereas Sunderland are in dire straits.

It will be interesting to revisit the table in a month's time to see whether these changes have come about.

Can also be deceptive on occasion.

04/05 when we finished fourth we had a negative gd.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2004-2005/table

For sure, this correlation is more of an indication than a general rule, and there will always be exceptions. I have noticed, though, that it does allow you to spot good teams that are lower in the table than they should be and, on the flip side, teams that are something of a flash in the pan.

We are conceding too many and have only faced 2 of the big teams, one of which seemed to think it was more fun to miss, after 22 shots than score, so I'll put that one down to it being our day. We must stop conceding if we are to challenge this season, and I feel Martinez needs to get stronger regarding mistake makers and underperformers.

His starting eleven this season has been undeserved in my eyes and a few lads need to buck up.

We are conceding too many and have only faced 2 of the big teams, one of which seemed to think it was more fun to miss, after 22 shots than score, so I'll put that one down to it being our day. We must stop conceding if we are to challenge this season, and I feel Martinez needs to get stronger regarding mistake makers and underperformers.

His starting eleven this season has been undeserved in my eyes and a few lads need to buck up.

Don't think we've conceded too many sloppy goals, so I'm not to worried there, however completely agree that RM needs to utilise the squad more. Starting with Heits or Stones in for Jagielka, and more minutes for Deulofeu.