IGNORED

Shaking up the world of refereeing

Congratulations to Amy Fearn for becoming the first woman to referee an FA Cup match (albeit between two non-league teams). I couldn't help but notice that one of the assistant referees in that game was black. This begs the question: Why, in the 21st century, are almost all referees white males? It's like the world of commercial aviation: almost all pilots are white males. In some jobs, it seems, it takes an awfully long time to overcome stereotypical hiring. Maybe we need some affirmative action to allow women and minorities to break into these fields.

Plus, we need to keep holding feet to the fire - such as in the case of Andy Gray, whose comments against a female assistant referee were disgraceful.

Maybe none apply for the job, maybe none have been good enough. Uriah Rene (spelling is almost certainly incorrect) was a good ref but you shouldn't hire people just to fill a quota; you hire them because they're good at the position

Initial thoughts on the thread title were that there'd be complaints about refereeing cockups, Mariner the most recent

always thought rennie was an awful ref...to be fair though relatively speaking he probably was good...

as for the white/black refs..don't all prem refs have to be english? and over 3/4 of english people are white(i think)..if that's the case then it's no surprise...in africa i bet it's the complete opposite

So, by your reckoning, one in four refs in the English leagues should be non-white.

well....i said over...that could be 1 in 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...it's not an exact science...my point being the percentage of black people wanting to be refs will be lower due to the lower percentage of black people..add to that some of them not wanting to be refs or not being good enough to be refs...why do we need affirmative action because a certain 'minority' isn't employed enough? that to me is backing up positive discrimination

well....i said over...that could be 1 in 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...it's not an exact science...my point being the percentage of black people wanting to be refs will be lower due to the lower percentage of black people..add to that some of them not wanting to be refs or not being good enough to be refs...why do we need affirmative action because a certain 'minority' isn't employed enough? that to me is backing up positive discrimination

My point is that, today, the number of non-white referees is (I'm guessing) about 1 in a 1,000. I'm aware of one black referee and no ethnically Asian referees. As for women, there's just one - who celebrated her first FA Cup game on Saturday. This is a terribly poor record and something we should actively try to change.

Sian Massey is the best lino in the league. Never seems to make a mistake that lass. Been good to see her make a mockery of the sexist pigs who put her down.

Edited by Nikica

• 3 weeks later...