IGNORED

Sky Broadband

Mac

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking about this. Not only would I save quite a bit by going with Sky, but 16 mb is a lot quicker than I have with NTL.

Sky have something of a "history" with poor customer service with our Sky TV account.

Just asking general opinions.

ATB

Mac

I dont have sky myself but i'm told their broadband coverage is going to be very limited in terms of coverage!

I am quite interested in several new deals at the moment like the carphone warehouse with TalkTalk & free broadband but things like this always have teething problems in the first year so i'm sticking with my reliable Tiscali service at the mo' and see what the feedback is on the new services popping up all around us.

What's the advantage of 16mb? I've just started paying an extra £2 a month to move up from 516kb to 1mb but I really don't know what the advantages are. Can you download a movie for example thirty-two times quicker on 16mb than 512kb? I'm a bit of a dope where technical computer stuff is concerned I have to admit.

Edited by mikeo

What's the advantage of 16mb? I've just started paying an extra £2 a month to move up from 516kb to 1mb but I really don't know what the advantages are. Can you download a movie for example thirty-two times quicker on 16mb than 512kb? I'm a bit of a dope where technical computer stuff is concerned I have to admit.

40107[/snapback]

in theory mike, it should be 32 times quicker, but there is always little niggles that will slow it down, you'll probably get it about 12 times faster, but websites will be fast as fook. if your phone line can handle that

This seems like a good thread to ask my question in

In my uni house theres currently no phone or net service and of course we want to get it but cheaply as poss, there are phone holey things but not in every room so wireless would be good but I dont really know what that means or how i go about getting it

Claire you need to contact a service provider, a BT, or telewest or soemthing, and they will come roudn and sort you otu with a phone line, and then you can get wireless, which involves purchasign a router (that will just go into the phone line, you'll need to go to pc world or something, ocne you have that you ... then just set it up hwo the instructions say to... if your comptuers have wireless it shud be easy, however youll need to buy adapters if you dont...

least thats what we did

and ive bee nthinkign abotu sky too trying to get my dad to get it here, i used to download loads of albums, my bootlegging business took a kick in the teeth when i moved from my old accomodation (i had a silly fast itnernet) nwo i have like 4MB at uni and 1MB at home, neither really do it for me, so im interested greatly in this sky thing

Wireless can be a bit difficult to set up with security, and if you don't do that it can be a bit dodgy.

there are a couple of alternatives that use mains wiring as your network, so you can just plug a box in a socket, and that's your network point. (last I looked, a starter pack of two points was about £100 on Amazon (Devolo version))

...but yes, you need an ISP to provide the connection, and ideally a router if your planning a network, as you can get them with a hardware firewall, which is a huge step to securing things straight away.

Edited by Patch Tuesday

its not all about the phoneline either...

yes, BT, or your service provider, and come out and upgrade it, usually at a fee to you, but a lot rests with your local exchange. Orange (formally Freeserve then Wanadoo) offered me 8MB several months back, which I signed up to, only to find out that the maximum I can get at my local telephone exchange is 2MB.

Although BT is rolling out quicker exchanges it is worth remembering that not everybody can get 512MB broadband yet!