IGNORED

Europa - yay or nay

Hafnia

Why do people presume the Europa League wil have a detrimental effect on our League form when it has never done so in the past?

Roberto doesnt take the domestic cup competitions seriously when it comes to team selections anyway so I dont think the extra games would have that big an impact

*one of the domestic cups

I'm all for it, the 'detrimental to league form' argument is repeated so often by pundits that it's taken as a given. If we entertain the Mail's stats we should disregard what happened to Fulham, Stoke, Man City, Birmingham & Newcastle and concentrate on the team most similar to ourselves i.e. Spurs who've finished 4th, 5th & 5th/6th in the last 3 seasons, sure they had some horror results following Europa games - losing 0-3 to West Ham comes to mind - but there finishing position shows it wasn't a total car crash. I know we didn't do great in 2009/10 but that's hardly a meaningful sample size. Isn't there something the Europa league can bring to a team something that the Premier League can't give and helps it develop?

My concern about failing to make Europa League is that the only way that can happen is for Everton to lose its final two, while Spurs and ManU nip into 5-6 by winning out. And that would mean that, after looking a solid chance for the CL on April 15, the Toffees would have collapsed, losing 4 of final 5, including 2 at Goodison.

Now there's obviously a lively debate about the merits of being in the EL, and I'd guess this debate could simultaneously be going on among Spurs and ManU fans. But for Everton, how much, if any, psychological (?) damage will be done by a collapse from legitimate hopes of 4th to finishing 7th?

I'm so far away (US) that I've no "feel" whatsoever for how discouraging it might be to miss out on Europe totally. So I'm asking.

My concern about failing to make Europa League is that the only way that can happen is for Everton to lose its final two, while Spurs and ManU nip into 5-6 by winning out. And that would mean that, after looking a solid chance for the CL on April 15, the Toffees would have collapsed, losing 4 of final 5, including 2 at Goodison.

Now there's obviously a lively debate about the merits of being in the EL, and I'd guess this debate could simultaneously be going on among Spurs and ManU fans. But for Everton, how much, if any, psychological (?) damage will be done by a collapse from legitimate hopes of 4th to finishing 7th?

I'm so far away (US) that I've no "feel" whatsoever for how discouraging it might be to miss out on Europe totally. So I'm asking.

Its a very valid point, the mental impact of going from potential CL qualification to missing out altogether would affect our players and any signings we might go for...

I think its got to be a positive thing for us. Players should be able to play twice a week and I believe the development of the youngsters will be hugely beneficial to them and us if they are introduced into the squad. Maybe that's why Roberto had sent so many on loan this season? The fans will enjoy the extra games and hopefully will make the board dig deep.

I'm a purist football fan. I would watch us play seven days a week if I could.

Win or lose I love my team!

That article pointed out that mid table teams who qualified for the Europa league finished mid table the next? Pure genius!

As others pointed out it had beneficial merits for teams too. Spurs for example could have brought right players without selling Bale.. Apparently.

Yes without question for me

If we bring in a couple more players keep Deulofeu for another year maybe Barry and Lukaku on permanent deals and have a fully fit squad we will have more strength in depth then I can remember with a great mix of youth and experience giving us a great platform to do well.

We've got some great young players to throw into the fold if that's the route Bobby wants to go down early on to keep the other lads fresh, If we bring in three more players to those mentioned above then I'd be more then confident we would have a good crack at it.

Edited by EFC-Paul