IGNORED

USA National Team

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/2659199/jurgen-klopp-talks-sense-and-michel-platini-must-convince

good idea on how to solve CONMEBOL and CONCACAF troubles. CONMEBOL wants more spots since their level is high and amount of federations is low. CONCACAF (us and mexico mainly) wants to play agaisnt the best.

Join forces. 8 WC spots with 45 federations. What a qualifying process that would be, US would be with the big boys but it would make them better for sure. We can dream can't we!

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/2659199/jurgen-klopp-talks-sense-and-michel-platini-must-convince

good idea on how to solve CONMEBOL and CONCACAF troubles. CONMEBOL wants more spots since their level is high and amount of federations is low. CONCACAF (us and mexico mainly) wants to play agaisnt the best.

Join forces. 8 WC spots with 45 federations. What a qualifying process that would be, US would be with the big boys but it would make them better for sure. We can dream can't we!

The only obvious issue is travel. I've never been to South America so I don't know how long it takes to travel there. I love it in principle though.

The only obvious issue is travel. I've never been to South America so I don't know how long it takes to travel there. I love it in principle though.

so CONMEBOL is home and away 10 teams (18 matches) top 4.5 advance. CONCACAF is a 4 round tournament, where the first 2 rounds weed out the sides that didn't qualify for the last WC. Same concept could be used here and then broken down into groups to qualify ala UEFA. that way travel is only within the rounds and i'ts 6-8 matches.

could work but you're right they'd have to work out the travel kinks.

It's going to happen eventually, and I think it needs to happen. We'll only get better by surrounding ourselves with better competition. The Galaxy would have a decent run if they took it seriously.

Don't forget that a lot of reserve/youngsters play in CONCACAF Champions League matches -- significantly more than league play.

Edited by TonkaRoost

That's what the article is getting at; that it's too soon for the creation of a competition like that.

yeah for club soccer it is, for international its not. it would be more beneficial for conmebol to merge and less for concacaf.

It's going to happen eventually, and I think it needs to happen. We'll only get better by surrounding ourselves with better competition. The Galaxy would have a decent run if they took it seriously.

Don't forget that a lot of reserve/youngsters play in CONCACAF Champions League matches -- significantly more than league play.

agreed, there is so much money on the table those greedy conmebol and concacaf aren't going to leave it there. Yes a lot do play youngsters but tha'ts the problem, they don't take it seriously. it's atrocious.

The U17 men's team is getting beat pretty handily by Nigeria in the U17 World Cup. I promised myself I wouldn't watch any of it because 17 year olds are just children and it is impossible to tell at that point if they are going to be any good. But then I turned it on and was immediately irritated on how much it looked exactly like the same crap we've seen from the Senior team over the past four or five months.

The U17 men's team is getting beat pretty handily by Nigeria in the U17 World Cup. I promised myself I wouldn't watch any of it because 17 year olds are just children and it is impossible to tell at that point if they are going to be any good. But then I turned it on and was immediately irritated on how much it looked exactly like the same crap we've seen from the Senior team over the past four or five months.

Honestly, I've become disenchanted woth the USMNT since Klinsmann has been in charge.

Honestly, I've become disenchanted woth the USMNT since Klinsmann has been in charge.

Same. It is neither here nor there, but there is a huge debate going on on twitter about Jurgen and the US system. For me both are flawed--we need pro/rel immediately, but we definitely don't need Jurgen. And Jurgen hasn't gotten us closer to pro/rel either.

This US U17 WC match against Chile is dire. US is just conceeding possession but has no idea how to put together a coherent counter attack. This manager has players playing out of position (allegedly, Twitter tells me this. I don't know these players) and they don't look like they've ever played together. More garbage from the Klinsman era.

• 2 weeks later...

A USMNT related note: Bob Bradley is apparently taking over at Ligue 2 side Le Havre. Right now they are 4th in the table so they could earn promotion. Apparently they have a new stadium too. Hope he does well and they earn promotion. I don't think the USA has ever had a coach in the top flight in a top European league.

A USMNT related note: Bob Bradley is apparently taking over at Ligue 2 side Le Havre. Right now they are 4th in the table so they could earn promotion. Apparently they have a new stadium too. Hope he does well and they earn promotion. I don't think the USA has ever had a coach in the top flight in a top European league.

Lol yes bob was a coach just before this at staebek. Top flight euro club in Norway. Took over on verge of relegation and he just led them to 3rd place and a Europa league qualification (first American to do that too).

I like bob a lot and hope he does get them brought up and shows Ligue 1 what he's got. Great coach and humble dude, did a great job with Egypt all things considered. Many other coaches would have bailed come revolution, he stayed and stuck with the team.

Lol yes bob was a coach just before this at staebek. Top flight euro club in Norway. Took over on verge of relegation and he just led them to 3rd place and a Europa league qualification (first American to do that too).

I like bob a lot and hope he does get them brought up and shows Ligue 1 what he's got. Great coach and humble dude, did a great job with Egypt all things considered. Many other coaches would have bailed come revolution, he stayed and stuck with the team.

Tbf to Keith he did say a in a top European league, which the Norwegian top flight is not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bruce Arena, we'll see how that goes. I'm guessing it's the same as Juergen, most of the lineup picks itself except one or 2 picks that make you scratch your head (every manager has a weird favorite). probably advance to the WC, maybe get out the group but not much more. He doesn't strike me as a very progressive manager.

Bob Bradley manager of Swansea now, rough start but finally won one and has a nice run of matches coming up. This is do or die for him as after this run of matches its the big boys, hope he pulls out some wins and gets them to stay up this year, I always liked him.

• 4 weeks later...

Infantino head of FIFA is proposing concacaf and conmebol merge and have a massive qualifying tournament with 14 spots.

I like this idea actually. Have said for a long time the us and Mexico need to play against the best more regularly.

I also agree with this. The only thing I would worry about is the travel. We need to play against better opposition to become better though.