IGNORED

USA National Team

Saw a twitter thread today debating whether the Gold Cup was a major tournament. I think that debate misses the point. Whether it is major or not, it's the only tournament the USA can play in during the summer period of international play. I don't see them getting invited to play in the Euro Championships! They need the time together and Klinsman needs to evaluate his team. I don't see another way for that to happen without the Gold Cup.

That said, I'd be delighted if CONCACAF would improve it's overall quality. The US (and Mexico) needs better competition in closer geographical terms. The USA should dominate this tournament, especially with the injuries on the Mexican side. Costa Rica might pose a threat but USA should be heavy favorites.

Saw a twitter thread today debating whether the Gold Cup was a major tournament. I think that debate misses the point. Whether it is major or not, it's the only tournament the USA can play in during the summer period of international play. I don't see them getting invited to play in the Euro Championships! They need the time together and Klinsman needs to evaluate his team. I don't see another way for that to happen without the Gold Cup.

That said, I'd be delighted if CONCACAF would improve it's overall quality. The US (and Mexico) needs better competition in closer geographical terms. The USA should dominate this tournament, especially with the injuries on the Mexican side. Costa Rica might pose a threat but USA should be heavy favorites.

Neither nothing would make me happier than the U.S. Joining another region. Conmebol would be great. Concacaf is a nuisince. Playing on cricket pitches that have been washed up years ago whilst fans throw bottles of piss and batteries at your players is terrible.

Neither nothing would make me happier than the U.S. Joining another region. Conmebol would be great. Concacaf is a nuisince. Playing on cricket pitches that have been washed up years ago whilst fans throw bottles of piss and batteries at your players is terrible.

I love to see that too, but is it realistic? The geography is pretty, well, simple. But certainly CONMEBOL would be much betterin the long term.

I love to see that too, but is it realistic? The geography is pretty, well, simple. But certainly CONMEBOL would be much betterin the long term.

Yeah I feel like they need to do something, the group stage is a joke. Some of those teams Jamaica Haiti Cuba are fine, but they should be weeded out before hand.

It should be if you qualify for WC you go in at hex. Other teams battle to get the last 2.5 spots, playoff with the 4 th place for that spot.

I agree Keith. Zardes, Bradley, f Johnson, and Yedlin look good. Zardes won't be in MLS long, he looks like a beast and he's young.

Still if we're shit and beating a WC qualifying team 1-0 I'm not too mad. It's a young team.

I think Zardes is out of position. I think he's a striker. His finish against the Dutch was pure striker. Plus I think he's not very good a defending the wings. Yedlin looked fast but got owned at the end of the half there. He needs to be stronger or he just won't be able to compete in the PL.

That said, it is 1-0 and that's how games are measured. This squad hasn't had much time together so if they can win they'll top the group and be in good position to move on and have an opportunity to improve as they go.

Lineup I would like to see for friday (won't happen but i can wish)

Guzan

Chandler Gonzo Brooks F.Johnson

Beckerman

Yedlin Bradley Bedoya

Dempsey Zardes

i like fabian played in the midfield, think bedoya needs to be on the field, and feel zardes is the only real proper striker we have. Dempsey drops back anyways. I have no confidence in altidore, AJ, wondo, etc. I think this lineup has A LOT of pace (bedoya, yedlin, zardes, fabian, chandler) and we could really attack while Beckerman sits with the back 4.

Not looking great tonight. Hopefully we find our form this second half. At least we won the group already, result doesn't matter and its 100+ degrees on the pitch.

Yeah this one has been ugly for the US. Pretty clear that Panama wants it more, but the US came out flat. Really disappointing if you are in the crowd tonight (which has been great).

Yeah this one has been ugly for the US. Pretty clear that Panama wants it more, but the US came out flat. Really disappointing if you are in the crowd tonight (which has been great).

Agreed Keith. Zardes didn't get much service, our guys looked gassed and like they didn't care. Oh well, draw is fine and we are on to the quarterfinals.

Altidore morales and garza sent home. Gordon, corona and Beasley join the squad. I'm hoping for this next match

Guzan

Fabian Alvarado ream Beasley

Yedlin Bradley beckerman bedoya

Dempsey Zardes

After that match I expect brooks to be back after the 2 yellow card suspension. But Beas and Fabian will help to steady that backline and can both attack. Yedlin and bedoya use their pace on the flanks with Bradley and Dempsey creating. Zardes wasn't bad as the up top striker, better players around him and I think he could start to come alive.

So glad altidore is gone, he was woeful.

Altidore morales and garza sent home. Gordon, corona and Beasley join the squad. I'm hoping for this next match

Guzan

Fabian Alvarado ream Beasley

Yedlin Bradley beckerman bedoya

Dempsey Zardes

After that match I expect brooks to be back after the 2 yellow card suspension. But Beas and Fabian will help to steady that backline and can both attack. Yedlin and bedoya use their pace on the flanks with Bradley and Dempsey creating. Zardes wasn't bad as the up top striker, better players around him and I think he could start to come alive.

So glad altidore is gone, he was woeful.

Klinsman deserves credit for sending Jozy home. He either wasn't fit or was just straight terrible; either way he needed to go. It makes us thin at striker but as you point out, Zardes might be able to handle it. His first touch and hold up play looked weak against Panama though. But I like his ability and talent.

Not sure why Wondolowski wasn't on a flight home. I love Wondo--he's been a warrior for the US, but he's past it now, and won't figure in the next WC. Why not bring in Jordan Morris? How about Gideon Zalalem? Emerson Hydaman?

Klinsman deserves credit for sending Jozy home. He either wasn't fit or was just straight terrible; either way he needed to go. It makes us thin at striker but as you point out, Zardes might be able to handle it. His first touch and hold up play looked weak against Panama though. But I like his ability and talent.

Not sure why Wondolowski wasn't on a flight home. I love Wondo--he's been a warrior for the US, but he's past it now, and won't figure in the next WC. Why not bring in Jordan Morris? How about Gideon Zalalem? Emerson Hydaman?

Haha wondo is there to be the ra ra guy in the locker room. Old vet who can shows the young guys about hard work and all that. Morris is injured. I like zelalem and hyndman as well a lot, but they weren't tearing the u21 WC a new one, so I think they would get eaten alive by the brute physicality of concacaf. They need to bulk up.

I really like bedoya and Yedlin on the wings. Dempsey and Bradley are solid. It's just the striker and backline we need to iron out, but we have some solid players.

Having to play Cuba is just stupid. There's nothing in it for the USA but a risk of injury. I don't really know the solution but the group stage only eliminates 4 of the 12 teams...maybe it is time to just take the group winners and the top ranked 2nd place team and just do a four team knockout round.