IGNORED

USA National Team

We've got an England thread, but no dedicated thread for the US team. Great World cup and I'm already excited for the Gold Cup, Americas Cup Centennial with South America, and the 2018 World Cup Qualifying to begin. Would to love chat with other Americans (and anyone else) about all things US soccer.

I'll start off with this, here's my current prediction of the 2018 team that will start (why not?) with the players available today. I'm sure a couple youngsters will emerge and some old players (danny williams?, sasha klejsten, joe corona, etc.) will catch form and might surprise. But what the heck, here's a go

Sean Johnson - GK

DeAndre Yedlin, Timothy Chandler - FB

Matt Besler, John Anthony Brooks/Omar Gonzalez (either or) - CB

Michael Bradley, Mix Diskeruud - CM

Julian Green, Fabian Johnson (back to his preferred spot) - W

Terrence Boyd, Aron Johannsson - Striker

We've got an England thread, but no dedicated thread for the US team. Great World cup and I'm already excited for the Gold Cup, Americas Cup Centennial with South America, and the 2018 World Cup Qualifying to begin. Would to love chat with other Americans (and anyone else) about all things US soccer.

I'll start off with this, here's my current prediction of the 2018 team that will start (why not?) with the players available today. I'm sure a couple youngsters will emerge and some old players (danny williams?, sasha klejsten, joe corona, etc.) will catch form and might surprise. But what the heck, here's a go

Sean Johnson - GK

Thanks for creating this, avid follower but first time poster. I like the lineup and agree with you for the most part, but a couple tweaks IMO.

*still running on the high from the Belgium game. Yedlin should be receiving some calls from Euro clubs (what does everyone think?)

Tim Howard (wouldn't count him out yet).

For the most part I agree with the defense and midfield pieces, though I could see certain positions changing.

I think Aron will be up there, but Jozy should surpass Boyd.

Klinnsmann brought a lot of makeup and surprised most with his WC roster. I expect him to do the same in 2018, and sneak in a few more recruits. Nonetheless I was pleased with the team, and I at least hope you all were happy with Howard's performance.

Zusi and Yedlin looked very impressive, the latter is so incredibly fast and tenacious!

I think the squad (correct me if Im wrong) proved the point I made before the competition started; JK is starting a project and preparing for the future much like the Germans did 10 years ago, hence no Lando.

Next step is to get rid of Dempsey, he was abysmal yesterday.

Another interesting thing for me is, all my in-laws and friends in the US now have the bug, whereas they were mostly only college basket and/or "football" (:P) beforehand.

And of course, my-inlaws and a few friends have already had Everton shirts bought for them and they were all dressed up in Everton blue for the game yesterday :)

Sean Johnson - GK

I like all these picks but Guzan could still be a possibility, though Sean Johnson is really good. And try out a few youngsters, such as Okoli and Ben Spencer.

Another interesting thing for me is, all my in-laws and friends in the US now have the bug, whereas they were mostly only college basket and/or "football" (:P) beforehand.

And of course, my-inlaws and a few friends have already had Everton shirts bought for them and they were all dressed up in Everton blue for the game yesterday :)

Haha, I was caught up in 2006 that's when I really got into soccer. Started following the us team players at the club level and fell in love with Tim, Landon and Everton. I'm glad it's catching on with everyone else too!

Sean Johnson - GK

I like all these players mentioned. Like it was said above, I might throw in Guzan at goal.

I'm still waiting to see if Josh Gatt, Joe Gyau, Marc Pelosi -- and a few others -- reach their potential.

Yedlin really stood out to me this WC. I didn't think he even had a chance of making the squad, but he's made a name for himself.

I also think we might see Okugu (sp?) from Philly play a part in the defense/midfield as well in the future. Can't wait until some more of our technical youngsters mature.

I like all these players mentioned. Like it was said above, I might throw in Guzan at goal.

I'm still waiting to see if Josh Gatt, Joe Gyau, Marc Pelosi -- and a few others -- reach their potential.

Yedlin really stood out to me this WC. I didn't think he even had a chance of making the squad, but he's made a name for himself.

I also think we might see Okugu (sp?) from Philly play a part in the defense/midfield as well in the future. Can't wait until some more of our technical youngsters mature.

good stuff. i'll keep an eye out for those youngsters, only familiar with gyau and gatt. maybe another to keep an eye on is the arsenal guy gedion zelalem. german american maybe juergen can work his magic with. he's 17 right now and saw one arsenal senior cap.

good stuff. i'll keep an eye out for those youngsters, only familiar with gyau and gatt. maybe another to keep an eye on is the arsenal guy gedion zelalem. german american maybe juergen can work his magic with. he's 17 right now and saw one arsenal senior cap.

Yeah, Zelalem looks like the real deal. Reminds me of Mix in that he'll play that killer pass; risky but great vision.

In other news, Terrence Boyd has been transferred to German Second Division side RB Leipzig. He was playing for Austrian side Rapid Vienna and playing in the Europa league regularly, but I'm guessing he wanted a chance to move up in the Bundesliga or get noticed more there. Good for him I hope it pays off.

Good thread guys. I may put in a word or two as it developes. bear in mind that 2018 is only four years away and goalkeepers go on and on and on and on ......... I think Tim has a fair chance of still being around unless a younger man proves to be a better choice.

Anyway as a Brit I will not post here too often, will read it a bit though :)

I think this could be the tournament that will spark USA being a major player in the next 10-15 years - its been really positive exposure for the game in the country. With the college infrastructure and pool of athletes along with facilities I expect big things.

With the population that size, the funding and organisation that goes into sport, and the attitude towards sport, if the whole country got behind football they could be a real force in the future.

Do US teams get into the copa libertadors? If so, how do they get on?

I think having two MLS teams in Florida could be a big help with the Latin influence.

Edited by StevO

Think that tournament will get the youth of America into the game.

Technically not a brilliant side but shear effort can't be knocked. Possibly the best performance of the tournament from a losing side

Edited by MiguelCotto

With the population that size, the funding and organisation that goes into sport, and the attitude towards sport, if the whole country got behind football they could be a real force in the future.

I think having two MLS teams in Florida could be a big help with the Latin influence.

We've got the gold cup every other year which is the same as the euro (except with concacaf). We won last one and if we win this one we go to the confederations cup in Russia. The copa America is just South America but this year for the centennial they have allowed a couple concacaf teams since it's being hosted In the USA. Copa libertadores is just South America and Mexico.

I think this could be the tournament that will spark USA being a major player in the next 10-15 years - its been really positive exposure for the game in the country. With the college infrastructure and pool of athletes along with facilities I expect big things.

Agree, I can see the US becoming a big part of world football. Considering the pride the country has and, for the most part, the belief in integrity, sportsmanship, and desire to win at sports, they will go a long way.

Outside the league, MLS clubs participate in the respective US and Canadian domestic cup competitions, and in the CONCACAF Champions League. The CCL has been around since 1962 and used to be a straight knockout tournament called the Champions Cup - they renamed and revamped it in 2008 so that it now resembles the European CL with group stages and all that. As you might expect it's been historically dominated by Mexican clubs who've won it 30 times; next most succesful is Costa RIca with 6 winners. DC United and LA Galaxy each won it once under the old format, but Salt Lake is the only US club (in fact, the only non-Mexican club) to make the finals since the 2008 revamp. The US gets four CCL berths - one to the domestic cup winner and three based on MLS performance. Canada only gets one berth for their domestic cup winner (the Canadian MLS clubs can't qualify through league play, not even if one of them were to win the league outright).

MLS has made some big mistakes over the years in their efforts to attract the Latino market. Among those were two clubs in Florida in the 1990s that both failed due to poor attendance. Apologies in advance to any Florida fans who might be reading this, but Floridians in general don't have a great reputation elsewhere in the US for being die-hard supporters of their teams; a lot of the clubs down there struggle with their attendance even in the most popular sports like American football. MLS is a much stronger league with a higher standard of play than it was 15 years ago when the original Miami and Tampa clubs shut down, but I still question the viability of any soccer club in that state as long as the clubs are still more dependent on gate revenue than they are on TV revenue.

Yedlin is signing for Roma apparently.

good for him, there was a link to the red shite, and i cringed. roma has american owners so i'm not surprised there.

in other new Aron Johannsson broke his ankle and is out 6-8 weeks. that's why Wondo was subbed in the last match, we only had 1 fit striker. Still kills me that Terrence Boyd didn't make that roster.

I think the main purpose of this thread is the question of what is needed for the US MNT to become a real competitor on the global stage. The question is; why aren't they a big footballing country today?

There are TEN TIMES MORE people playing football in the USA than in Belgium. 1 million members of the USSF versus 100.000 members of the KBVB. Maybe there is a bigger portion of women playing football in the USA than in Belgium, but the paradox still stands.

The answer is: Here in Belgium, football is the first game we play in kindergarten. We're born with a ball at our feet, either in school our in our spare time: it's the game we play. Ever kid wants to be Kompany, Hazard or Lukaku. Football is everywhere. It's on TV, in the newspapers and on the websites. When there's a game, everyone gathers in bars and gets out their flags. We're surrounded by the best leagues in the world: Germany in the east, England in the west, also France and the Netherlands. Spain, Portugal and Italy aren't that far away either.

In the USA there's no football culture, it always takes a back seat on American football, baseball and basketball. Football is regarded as little more than a healthy outdoor activity 'soccer moms' use to keep your children busy on a saturday. Football isn't considered to be nearly as cool as it is in Europe. In America, the heros of their sports culture are Micheal Jordan, Jim Brown and Babe Ruth. That's who cool kids want to grown up to become (or maybe their contemporary counterparts). No Diego Maradona, Bobby Charlton or Johan Cruijff.

As long as there's NFL, NBA and MLB, the USA won't be a major power in football. Maybe if they can bring forth the new Cristiano Ronaldo, they could (temporarily) get a breakthrough, cause they'd have 'the best player in the world' to be proud of and get some attention from the football world.