IGNORED

Copenhagen

Btay

Hey boys, shooting off to Copenhagen in a few weeks for a bit, anyone been or have recommendations :)

Cheers!

Brad

Never been but it's a great city I think. I'd recommend; if you're talking to a Danish girl (who speaks no English) and asking her what she wants to drink you get your autocorrect sorted on your phone before you use the translate app ;).

"Shooting off" was maybe not the best way to start the thread in the circumstances :lol:.

Never been but it's a great city I think. I'd recommend; if you're talking to a Danish girl (who speaks no English) and asking her what she wants to drink you get your autocorrect sorted on your phone before you use the translate app ;).

"Shooting off" was maybe not the best way to start the thread in the circumstances :lol:.

Hahaha ah mate i have just about given up trying to speak different languages, i make a right dick 99.99% of the time!

I loved Copenhagen when I was there -

Just grab a bike and ride around, I've never seen so many bikes in one place. Check out Christiania, a 'free city' in the middle of Copenhagen; even if you don't smoke weed the place is incredible, just so different and unlike anywhere I've ever been.

I really enjoyed all the restaurants I ate in, as well as the little coffee shops around but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to remember any of the names!

Just grab a bike and ride around, I've never seen so many bikes in one place. Check out Christiania, a 'free city' in the middle of Copenhagen; even if you don't smoke weed the place is incredible, just so different and unlike anywhere I've ever been.

I really enjoyed all the restaurants I ate in, as well as the little coffee shops around but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to remember any of the names!

More than Amsterdam? Doesn't seem possible. Them (and the trams) constantly try to run me over when I'm there :dry:. Come at you from every direction the damn things.

I've never been to Amsterdam Mike but I think it's first and Copenhagen 2nd. I just went on Google Maps to try and find this square where there were millions, couldn't find it but everywhere I dropped that orange little man I could see at least 20 bikes!

Cheers pal! Appreciate it :)

Stayed at a hotel on outskirts of Amsterdam few years back, just about 100 yards from a tram station. It easy for walking out of the hotel and getting the tram to Amsterdam City center, but right opposite the terminus was a multi storey bike park :huh: and it was always full, thousands of them.

Edited by Bill

Stayed at a hotel on outskirts of Amsterdam few years back, just about 100 yards from a tram station. It easy for walking out of the hotel and getting the tram to Amsterdam City center, but right opposite the terminus was a multi storey bike park :huh: and it was always full, thousands of them.

The amazing thing is that they're all old wrecks; you never see a racer or a mountain bike in flashy colours, they're all black bone crunchers. My brother-in-law (who lives there) says that nobody has a decent one because it'd get stolen immediately. He rides an old thing with a big basket on the front that his kids travel in. His only other form of transport is a boat (lovely old one), car is pointless.

The amazing thing is that they're all old wrecks; you never see a racer or a mountain bike in flashy colours, they're all black bone crunchers. My brother-in-law (who lives there) says that nobody has a decent one because it'd get stolen immediately. He rides an old thing with a big basket on the front that his kids travel in. His only other form of transport is a boat (lovely old one), car is pointless.

Yeah, all second hand. The number they pull out of the canals is also insane:

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/2290-how-many-bicycles-and-cars-end-up-in-amsterdams-canals

• 2 weeks later...

You weren't kidding about the bikes, more bikes then people haha! Just checked out christiania which was really really cool!! It seems students have just graduated so there are big trucks that have been done up with flowers, vines and stereos and the students partying in the back of the trays , really cool as well :)

Everywhere around here seems to hit the pocket hard

Think the earnings are quite high over there though so the locals have a good standard of living (Switzerland's another example which Matt will either confirm or blow my theory out of the water), but when you go to visit it can be a shock.

Works both ways; thirty odd years ago I spent a fortnight skiing in (still communist) Bulgaria; took £270 spending money with me and came home with £200. And that was being really hedonistic. leaving "big" tips and not bothering to pick up change.

Then a few years after that I was in The Gambia, had a "personal" guide who took me to many out of the way non-tourist places and whenever I asked him how much I owed he just said to give him what I thought he'd been worth to me over the time I was there. Took some advice and gave him (from memory) about £20, plus a pair of my shoes he liked and a couple of T-shirts; he was over the moon and said I'd given him three months rent. The World is a strange (and unfair) place at times.

Think the earnings are quite high over there though so the locals have a good standard of living (Switzerland's another example which Matt will either confirm or blow my theory out of the water), but when you go to visit it can be a shock.

Works both ways; thirty odd years ago I spent a fortnight skiing in (still communist) Bulgaria; took £270 spending money with me and came home with £200. And that was being really hedonistic. leaving "big" tips and not bothering to pick up change.

Then a few years after that I was in The Gambia, had a "personal" guide who took me to many out of the way non-tourist places and whenever I asked him how much I owed he just said to give him what I thought he'd been worth to me over the time I was there. Took some advice and gave him (from memory) about £20, plus a pair of my shoes he liked and a couple of T-shirts; he was over the moon and said I'd given him three months rent. The World is a strange (and unfair) place at times.

Yup, great wage on paper but thats only to give back into a clean, quality way of living.

Yeah exactly right Mike, i mean im fortunate and extremely grateful to have a decent enough job i can get away and enjoy these kinds of places. I think most places tend to equal it our with wage and cost of living ect ect.

Your Gambia trip sounds similar to when i went to Fiji and i got one of the blokes at the resort to take me to his village and show me around, all it cost me was to buy some food ( got like 4 chickens, full parrot fish, full coral trout, 3 lobsters and some local casava and vegies ) for his family to eat and it was unreal, cooked it under ground and it was awesome :) Then when i left i had maybe 30 quod of fijian dollars which was no good to me so i gave it to him and he couldnt believe it!