IGNORED

US Men's National Team Thread 2016

Thanks for your replies, Mark and Tonka. Like I said, I get the draft, that makes sense and seems a fair way of doing things. Not to mention with football not being a relatively new sport to American fans it makes sense to implement systems that fans can understand from other sports they follow. The way trading system seems an absolute ballache for the players though - I like Tonka's suggestion that the players should get a say in it. I mean, they could be getting moved to the other side of the country at the drop of a hat and they just have to go with it!

Hopefully, as the league matures things can slowly shift and improve.

Thanks for your replies, Mark and Tonka. Like I said, I get the draft, that makes sense and seems a fair way of doing things. Not to mention with football not being a relatively new sport to American fans it makes sense to implement systems that fans can understand from other sports they follow. The way trading system seems an absolute ballache for the players though - I like Tonka's suggestion that the players should get a say in it. I mean, they could be getting moved to the other side of the country at the drop of a hat and they just have to go with it!

Hopefully, as the league matures things can slowly shift and improve.

agreed. also the contract follows the player in america. unlike here where whenever you are transfered you sign a new deal with new terms, you're saddled with your contract till it runs out or it bought out. Terrible concept IMO.

Question for the American's. Do you think the system for football, in terms of having academies and the way transfers work, is a better way of doing things or do you think drafts and trading are better?

I must admit I find the American system a bit mad. Not so much the draft but the way trading works (if it works the same as in baseball where the club just tells a player they're going to another club and that's that).

Easy. The European system is far superior to our "system." The US development system is improving but it is still miles behind what works in Europe. There are all sorts of cultural issues at play. Among them: American insistence that everyone go to college; obsession with ensuring that billionaires don't lose money on an investment (which is the most significant obstacle to pro/rel in the US); existing professional sports models that rely on the NCAA system for development; and general resistance to anything labeled "European."

Apéro kicked in hard....

Lyrics

68' I was into the world, born

And the seventies were a breath after the war (Vietnam)

Life was confusing because of my age

Should my eyes open for tomorrows gains

I can't help the way I am

There's no trust and there's no end

What is my name

It's time for a change

It can't stay the same

Forever is my name

From now on I can't look the other way

But keep in mind, and listen to what I say

Take underwing all the ones who are lost

And build up around them an infinite wall

Don't you know just who I am

Take the hand of the wisdoms friend

What is my name

It's time for a change

It can't stay the same

Forever is my name

It will never change

So here it stays

Revolution is my name

It's time to change, It can't stay the same

Forever is my name

What is my name, Forever

What is my name, Revolution

It's time for a change

It can't stay the same

Forever is my name

• 2 weeks later...

Mega-huge match for our USMNT vs. Honduras this coming Friday. Apparently Fabian Johnson and Bobby Wood are both out, but the US should still have the depth to overcome. For me the lineup is

Howard

Cameron Brooks Gonzalez Beasley

Bradley

Nagbe Pulisic Bedoyha

Altidore Morris

4-1-3-2

Mega-huge match for our USMNT vs. Honduras this coming Friday. Apparently Fabian Johnson and Bobby Wood are both out, but the US should still have the depth to overcome. For me the lineup is

Howard

Cameron Brooks Gonzalez Beasley

Bradley

Nagbe Pulisic Bedoyha

Altidore Morris

4-1-3-2

This is pretty much the same lineup I'd use. I expect a 3-1 win.

Morris, Altidore, and Pulisic to score if that's remotely close to the lineup.

Howard

Cameron brooks ream villafana

Bradley

Nagbe Kljestan pulisic

Dempsey altidore

I can't stand altidore but with wood out we are screwed.

I can't stand him either to be honest. Somehow he's third all-time in scoring for the USA, but he's always disappointed me when I watch him. Morris and Wood are much, much better.

• 2 weeks later...

A new competition is to be ratified today (CONCACAF Nations League) that would see CONCACAF national teams be placed in to tiers with promotion and relegation.

I imagine USSF and FMF are not happy with it as it could decrease their income levels due to some friendly dates being used for the new competition.

A new competition is to be ratified today (CONCACAF Nations League) that would see CONCACAF national teams be placed in to tiers with promotion and relegation.

I imagine USSF and FMF are not happy with it as it could decrease their income levels due to some friendly dates being used for the new competition.

Europe just agreed to the same thing so basically CONCACAF has to do this as there will be no teams of quality to play in friendles. So it's pretty much just par for the course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brooks left Hertha and signed a 20m euro deal with Wolfsburg. Head scratcher here, wolfsburg won the playoff to stay in the bundesliga, hertha are in europa league. so he's moving to a worse side but gets a ton more money. the only way it makes sense other than money is now that the VW scandal is over maybe they have the funds to put back into the team again for a top table challenge?

Brooks left Hertha and signed a 20m euro deal with Wolfsburg. Head scratcher here, wolfsburg won the playoff to stay in the bundesliga, hertha are in europa league. so he's moving to a worse side but gets a ton more money. the only way it makes sense other than money is now that the VW scandal is over maybe they have the funds to put back into the team again for a top table challenge?

Yeah, I would've liked him to stay at Hertha just for Europa Leaghe and hopefully put his name out there a bit more and move to a bigger club. Historically, Wolfsburg is the better club and there's a good chance they have more long-term sustainability than Hertha. I guess they just had a one-off season and are rebuilding.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

yeah i would choose them too, they go to the world cup everytime, we just missed out.  they are the better league in the region (they win CL every year) too.  US Soccer is a shambles, i've stopped watching/caring after they fired Klinnsman.

• 2 months later...