IGNORED

Fear and Loathing (USMNT 2018)

On 03/08/2021 at 18:55, markjazzbassist said:

I am a euro snob supporter but I like berhalter.  He was a former USMNT player and he was excellent in MLS with teams that weren’t marquee.  Also he has a good football philosophy which is important.  I liked bob bradley for that era, loved Juergen just because he threw the establishment and concept of how we could play out the door.  Arena was a massive fail and I wasn’t a fan of that, he was a has been.  

I still believe our best players play in Europe, surprise surprise, they do!  Not rocket science there.  

to @Ghoat earlier point on Tata, I would have loved to get him as manager as well.  Hell if it all goes south I would still take him.  He knows how to get attacking football and has managed some big clubs and national teams.  

To the Euro-snob thing, the only time I really got into MLS, was when Tata was at ATL United. In part because they were new, and only a 2.5 hour drive (amazing stadium and atmosphere) but mainly beavuse the football Tata had them playing, especially with Martinez and Almiron. Since Tata left, I have lost interest in ATL and MLS as a whole, generally. Double whammy he left ATL for El Tri. Unlucky for him that Mexico is in a generational transition at the same time the US young players are maturing throughout Europe, and a wealth of young prospects are beginning to come up through the ranks. 

If we can just get someone to cement the number 9. I still think it can be Sarjent, and have hope for Dike.

Zardes for me kind of epitomizes the USMNT of old. He is not a great footballer - technically questionable, often has concrete feet on his first touch... but absolutely works his ass off for 90' plus, grinding away more on athletic skill and determination than anything else. I roll my eyes when he starts, but I personally find it impossible to not like and respect him. 

42 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Sargent pulled from Bremen's cup match this weekend due to an imminent transfer. Looks like he'll be heading to Norwich.

Honestly, anywhere besides Bremen is a positive move. Think he could do well in the Prem

Great news, Norwich play good football and have a great youth program, great place for him to be!

43 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

moved up 10 spots to 10th in FIFA rankings, which may be a little high, but I'll take it. Now I don't understand how Mexico moved up 2 spots to 9th, ranked a head of us. I mean they lost to both our A team and our B team

the formula is the past 4 years results, so we got more wins but throughout the last 4 years mex probably has more.  it's a wacky formula and not reliable, but like you said, i'll take it as well.  just hope when we play some actual good teams from south america or europe we can win.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

First ever meeting between two American coaches in Europe today. Amazing to see. 

After a rough first game against Mainz, Jesse's Leipzig look pretty dangerous. Really hope for a strong season for them.

If Marcsh would ever take the job, I'd hope he'd be next in line after Berhalter if he doesn't last. 

9 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

If Marcsh would ever take the job, I'd hope he'd be next in line after Berhalter if he doesn't last. 

I could only see him taking it later in his career. He's too young to hang it up in Europe any time soon.

Wouldn't mind seeing Matarazzo actually. Had Stuttgart playing some fantastic football last year

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tonight we start trying to erase the stain of the last qualifying campaign. Oddly enough, I think the truncated qualifying schedule (3 games every international break) favors us over almost every other nation. I think we have the best depth by far, and that will only serve us well with these quick games back to back.

Feeling cautiously confident that we will top the qualifying group.

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well, tonight we start trying to erase the stain of the last qualifying campaign. Oddly enough, I think the truncated qualifying schedule (3 games every international break) favors us over almost every other nation. I think we have the best depth by far, and that will only serve us well with these quick games back to back.

Feeling cautiously confident that we will top the qualifying group.

I was feeling confident as well.  Not happy with the result.  El Salvador should be 3 points anytime we play them.  Mexico Costa Rica maybe even Jamaica on a good day Away?  Sure I get a draw there.  But el fricking Salvador?  They better get some wins and fast or it could spiral again like last time.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I was feeling confident as well.  Not happy with the result.  El Salvador should be 3 points anytime we play them.  Mexico Costa Rica maybe even Jamaica on a good day Away?  Sure I get a draw there.  But el fricking Salvador?  They better get some wins and fast or it could spiral again like last time.

I get that. But I watched some of them during the Gold Cup, and they're an up and coming side. And you could see it last night, too. They've got some good players. Whoever was on their right wing made Dest look absolutely foolish all night.

As much as I expected a win, I think this result was always more likely. Yes, this young side has a ton of European experience and even some decent experience with USMNT, but they haven't experienced a WCQ on the road. It's a totally different beast. 

Hopeful that now they've experienced it, they can push on and improve from there. Because you're right, if they can't rack up points early, things are going to get nervy. Especially because our campaign is stacked pretty favorably for us on the front end.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I get that. But I watched some of them during the Gold Cup, and they're an up and coming side. And you could see it last night, too. They've got some good players. Whoever was on their right wing made Dest look absolutely foolish all night.

As much as I expected a win, I think this result was always more likely. Yes, this young side has a ton of European experience and even some decent experience with USMNT, but they haven't experienced a WCQ on the road. It's a totally different beast. 

Hopeful that now they've experienced it, they can push on and improve from there. Because you're right, if they can't rack up points early, things are going to get nervy. Especially because our campaign is stacked pretty favorably for us on the front end.

Good point let’s hope it was like you said their first WCQ and just nerves.  Canada and Honduras next.  They played last night and drew 1-1 in Canada.  I believe both of those teams should be 3 points as well, neither are particularly strong and nowhere as talented as we are.  We need to rack up points on these smaller sides.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Good point let’s hope it was like you said their first WCQ and just nerves.  Canada and Honduras next.  They played last night and drew 1-1 in Canada.  I believe both of those teams should be 3 points as well, neither are particularly strong and nowhere as talented as we are.  We need to rack up points on these smaller sides.

Both of those teams are stronger than El Salvador lol. Honduras been to a few WC's in the last decade or so, Canada is probably the third best team in CONCACAF behind us and Mexico.

I think what we realized last night (and it shouldn't have been a realization, because we've always known this) is that CONCACAF WCQ is just hard. There's no two ways about it.

16 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Both of those teams are stronger than El Salvador lol. Honduras been to a few WC's in the last decade or so, Canada is probably the third best team in CONCACAF behind us and Mexico.

I think what we realized last night (and it shouldn't have been a realization, because we've always known this) is that CONCACAF WCQ is just hard. There's no two ways about it.

yeah mostly they say its super hostile and you're playing in tropical super humid conditons (altitude too) in central america, you can't leave the hotel because it's not safe, etc.  the canada match is at home, if we can't beat canada ( Davies is good, Larin and Osorio are ok, , the rest are not great) we should just call it a day.  Honduras away like El Salvador, but gotta be expecting a draw at minimum.  only teams we should be losing too if we must are mexico and jamaica.

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I would really hope they were paying attention after screwing up by not qualifying last time. 

6 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

I would really hope they were paying attention after screwing up by not qualifying last time. 

There were a myriad of reasons why we fucked it up last time, but the biggest (for me) was sacking Jurgen and bringing in Arena. If they had just stayed with Jurgen, believe we wouldve qualified

32 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I actually like Berhalter too. He's got the passion that I love to see. While I don't think he's the best tactician, he has done a helluva job recruiting, and a few of the players who've committed to the USMNT have credited him with that.

I also like berhalter too, he’s trying to get them to play the right way, just like Juergen was doing.  Arena was someone I didn’t like.  Previous to Juergen I liked bob bradley, I thought he did well with what he had.  You see how he got them working together and fighting for each other, a far cry from the arena teams.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I also like berhalter too, he’s trying to get them to play the right way, just like Juergen was doing.  Arena was someone I didn’t like.  Previous to Juergen I liked bob bradley, I thought he did well with what he had.  You see how he got them working together and fighting for each other, a far cry from the arena teams.

Hiring Arena was the USMNT equivalent of us hiring Allardyce

Think it's gonna be tough going tonight. Canada is a good team, and Reyna is out injured and McKennie is out due to violating covid protocol. Steffen also out for this one and Wednesday's game due to testing positive.

Pulisic really needs to step up tonight and be the leader he has shown he can be on occasion. We need Nations League final Pulisic tonight.