IGNORED

Fear and Loathing (USMNT 2018)

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Side note pulisic injured again.  He is made of glass, he is constantly injured with club and country.  The less we rely on him the better just because he’s never fit.  I hope the best for him but he’s been like this for a couple years now.  

Tbf Pulisic always puts his body on the line, and he’s been getting hacked at a ton. I agree in the sense that I wish we didn’t have to solely rely on him, but he’s far and away our most creative player. 

Solid win. I guess GB heard the criticisms around the subs and played it differently in this match. If so, then fair play to him. 

40 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Side note pulisic injured again.  He is made of glass, he is constantly injured with club and country.  The less we rely on him the better just because he’s never fit.  I hope the best for him but he’s been like this for a couple years now.  

He should retire and prolong his club career. 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He should retire and prolong his club career. 

CONCACAF is such a grind in WCQ. It's not that teams are good - it's the fact they AREN'T good that makes it so rough. They play physical as fuck to level the skill gap. When you get an aggressive skilled attacker, they are going to kick the shit out of him to slow him down. Similar to what James experienced in the EPL, but with much less protection. The officiating in CONCACAF is woeful to start with, and when playing on the road, and the crowds are all over the ref from the opening whistle due to the the theatrics, crowding the ref after damn near every call....they just simply don't protect the players from the away team. It's a little better when we play stateside, at least we play on a quality pitch and the center ref isn't as intimidated by the crowd.

Last night we played on a dry patchy pitch with a track around it. In El Salvador there were police with riot shields in the corners, and when we took corners, they used the shield to protect the player taking the corner from the shit thrown at them - over the 8' chain fence that separates the stands from the pitch.

So yeah, if I am a Chelsea, and I have a $50M asset in his early 20's, the last thing I want is for him to be a star player for the US, going into that road environment on a regular basis. It would be like every UEFA away match being played in Albania or Belgrade or such.

8 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

CONCACAF is such a grind in WCQ. It's not that teams are good - it's the fact they AREN'T good that makes it so rough. They play physical as fuck to level the skill gap. When you get an aggressive skilled attacker, they are going to kick the shit out of him to slow him down. Similar to what James experienced in the EPL, but with much less protection. The officiating in CONCACAF is woeful to start with, and when playing on the road, and the crowds are all over the ref from the opening whistle due to the the theatrics, crowding the ref after damn near every call....they just simply don't protect the players from the away team. It's a little better when we play stateside, at least we play on a quality pitch and the center ref isn't as intimidated by the crowd.

Last night we played on a dry patchy pitch with a track around it. In El Salvador there were police with riot shields in the corners, and when we took corners, they used the shield to protect the player taking the corner from the shit thrown at them - over the 8' chain fence that separates the stands from the pitch.

So yeah, if I am a Chelsea, and I have a $50M asset in his early 20's, the last thing I want is for him to be a star player for the US, going into that road environment on a regular basis. It would be like every UEFA away match being played in Albania or Belgrade or such.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek, but I appreciate the depth of your response :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it OK to talk MLS here? I couldn't find an MLS specific topic, I did search but if it should be somewhere else then mods feel free to move it.

I've never really been that taken with franchise soccer, am huge NFL and NHL fan franchise not my issue, but for the beautiful british game, football, lower level aspiration dreaming of playing further up the pyramid the dejection of relegation the joy of a promotion, to me is integral to the joy of football, but because of the MLS closed shop system I've never had a team to be interested in, but now I'm trying to follow Minnesota United.

So I wanted to ask especially our over the pond members what they think about Inchy's Minnesota side and how they have adapted as one of the newer settled franchises?

I know they weren't really ready when called so to speak, but they seem to be now holding their own in a very one sided division.

2 hours ago, Hf,Hr,Hwamp..PR said:

Is it OK to talk MLS here? I couldn't find an MLS specific topic, I did search but if it should be somewhere else then mods feel free to move it.

I've never really been that taken with franchise soccer, am huge NFL and NHL fan franchise not my issue, but for the beautiful british game, football, lower level aspiration dreaming of playing further up the pyramid the dejection of relegation the joy of a promotion, to me is integral to the joy of football, but because of the MLS closed shop system I've never had a team to be interested in, but now I'm trying to follow Minnesota United.

So I wanted to ask especially our over the pond members what they think about Inchy's Minnesota side and how they have adapted as one of the newer settled franchises?

I know they weren't really ready when called so to speak, but they seem to be now holding their own in a very one sided division.

Be glad to let you know about MNUFC, as they are my hometown team! Was actually at their game against Houston a couple weekends ago.

Yes, they were a little unprepared for the jump up to MLS a few seasons ago, but after the first couple years we found our footing. Were in the playoffs in 2019, as well as reaching the US Open Cup Final (equivalent to the FA cup), and last year were whiskers away from making the MLS Cup Final.

There tends to be a lot of #HeathOut calls whenever we're playing poorly, which I think is uncalled for. He has worked miracles with a team that doesn't attract the biggest names, and for the last three seasons has us punching well above our weight. Still firmly in the chase for a playoff spot again this season.

On 05/10/2021 at 19:32, dunlopp9987 said:

Be glad to let you know about MNUFC, as they are my hometown team! Was actually at their game against Houston a couple weekends ago.

Yes, they were a little unprepared for the jump up to MLS a few seasons ago, but after the first couple years we found our footing. Were in the playoffs in 2019, as well as reaching the US Open Cup Final (equivalent to the FA cup), and last year were whiskers away from making the MLS Cup Final.

There tends to be a lot of #HeathOut calls whenever we're playing poorly, which I think is uncalled for. He has worked miracles with a team that doesn't attract the biggest names, and for the last three seasons has us punching well above our weight. Still firmly in the chase for a playoff spot again this season.

My guess was that the difference between Phil Nevilles budget and Inchy's are not comparable probably couple of zeroes difference, so even the high paid players aren't paid that high, and geographically would guess difficult to attract most players, not being on east/west coast.

Have seen couple of games of TV and they seem to be a hard working honest side, but lacking real quality, and they have held their own in the games I've seen, I see them very much a work in progress and probably few years from consistency to challenge for honours regularly.

If they do sneak playoffs this season think they will be a good test for the opposition.

Like all you guys who love EFC because of Tim H, Landon or whoever, my MLS team is Minnesota United because of Inchy, and will remain my MLS team even after Inchy's gone, I hope he is there long enough to enjoy some success.

38 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

Can CONCACAF refs get any worse? Asking for a friend. 

Yeah that was especially terrible on Thursday.

On an unrelated note, I just can't stand Taylor Twellman. He is just so arrogant, and is starting to turn into another Lalas for me. Very grateful that he won't be on commentary tomorrow.

• 5 weeks later...

US/Mexico coming up in a few days. Just read an article on ESPN that highlights how these next two WCQ's might be the last hugely significant matches between these two. No qualifying for the 2026 WC due to being the hosts, and with the expanded format, 6 teams from CONCACAF will make it to the WC, meaning that US and Mexico will be all but assured to qualify.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Watching the US vs El Salvador game. They're all talking about the cold, and how it's the coldest USMNT game ever at kick-off. 

It's 30 degrees there in Columbus. For our home game here in Minneapolis next Wednesday, the high is 9 degrees 😂

Coldest ever in Columbus? I specifically remember one game we played against Costa Rica(in CO?) where there was tons of snow. Bryan Oviedo was playing for Costa Rica(and Everton) at the time. 

9 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Coldest ever in Columbus? I specifically remember one game we played against Costa Rica(in CO?) where there was tons of snow. Bryan Oviedo was playing for Costa Rica(and Everton) at the time. 

Yep, the snow classico! Snow doesn't always mean super cold temps. I think last night's game beat it by a couple degrees.

And then that record is gonna be shattered in Minneapolis on Wednesday. Have a feeling it's gonna be some real shit football. None of those guys, on either side, will know how to play in single degree weather.

What a depressing fucking performance today. I think Gregg will take us to the WC where we will either crash out in the group stage or lose in the round of 16, and then I hope the USSF has the ambition to fire him and bring in a proper tactician. The job has to be one of the more appealing international jobs, so I doubt we would struggle to attract a top name.

15 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

What a depressing fucking performance today. I think Gregg will take us to the WC where we will either crash out in the group stage or lose in the round of 16, and then I hope the USSF has the ambition to fire him and bring in a proper tactician. The job has to be one of the more appealing international jobs, so I doubt we would struggle to attract a top name.

100%. I wasn’t a fan of his hiring in the first place. I’d like to see if Marsch is interested in the role. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

100%. I wasn’t a fan of his hiring in the first place. I’d like to see if Marsch is interested in the role. 

I know everyone is on the Marsch for USMNT train, but I really don't want to see him give up on coaching in Europe so soon. Want him to find another club. We need as many coaches over there in the top 5 leagues as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Thought this might be of interest to you lot -

While I very much want to see Jesse get another shot with a team in the top 5 leagues, this one concerns me.

Yes, this job specifically makes sense for him, as he likes to play a high-pressing game just like Leeds already do. Unfortunately, he showed at Leipzig that he still has some work to do in terms of organizing a defense, and that is Leeds' biggest problem already.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We all know that football (soccer) is very much a bridesmaid of American sports, so didn’t really surprise as much as it did Pulisic. To our American friends is Cincinnati a big soccer loving area, the reason I ask is could they gain more support in other cities, although I do realise if you are trying to grow football in the states you need to take it to all areas of the country. 

On 03/06/2022 at 04:28, Palfy said:

We all know that football (soccer) is very much a bridesmaid of American sports, so didn’t really surprise as much as it did Pulisic. To our American friends is Cincinnati a big soccer loving area, the reason I ask is could they gain more support in other cities, although I do realise if you are trying to grow football in the states you need to take it to all areas of the country. 

Ohio is definitely a soccer state. They've got 2 MLS clubs, one of which is in Cincinnati.

The reason for the low turnout I think was that a) it's a friendly against a team that doesn't have a big draw (say like Uruguay, who we're facing tonight) and b) ticket prices. They're way too expensive, especially considering it's a friendly.

I think it's as much the Federation's fault as it is the fans.

• 6 months later...