IGNORED

Fear and Loathing (USMNT 2018)

On 20/07/2019 at 02:53, Romey 1878 said:

I find it hard to keep up with our youth teams, and I only caught one game of the U-20WC, the 2-1 loss in the quarterfinals to Ecuador. The best player I saw on the pitch was the RB bombing forward for crosses, and knocking wingers off the ball or making tackles/blocks in the box. I texted a buddy across town that, and asked him "who the hell is the Dest kid?"  Then the Gold Cup started, the WWC was going, I went on holiday...and I forgot about him.

Our system is improving, but mostly the best prospects we have are the ones who have stayed out of the US system, or left in their teens for Europe. And frankly a lot of the dual-nationals who aren't quite good enough for their "home" country are better or have better potential than what's in our existing "domestic pool".  Alas, if we had a large military presence in Brazil, we might have already won a World Cup or two by now 😁😁

Thanks for sharing that Romey, good read on the kid and his story.

12 hours ago, Ghoat said:

I find it hard to keep up with our youth teams, and I only caught one game of the U-20WC, the 2-1 loss in the quarterfinals to Ecuador. The best player I saw on the pitch was the RB bombing forward for crosses, and knocking wingers off the ball or making tackles/blocks in the box. I texted a buddy across town that, and asked him "who the hell is the Dest kid?"  Then the Gold Cup started, the WWC was going, I went on holiday...and I forgot about him.

Our system is improving, but mostly the best prospects we have are the ones who have stayed out of the US system, or left in their teens for Europe. And frankly a lot of the dual-nationals who aren't quite good enough for their "home" country are better or have better potential than what's in our existing "domestic pool".  Alas, if we had a large military presence in Brazil, we might have already won a World Cup or two by now 😁😁

Thanks for sharing that Romey, good read on the kid and his story.

hah basically the same for me, the minute i hear "he's been in portugal since he was 12" i think this guy could actually be good lol.  when i hear "he came through the dallas academy" i think this guy will probably be crap.  biased, yes completely, the MLS game doesn't interest me and the quality still isn't great.  old ass wayne rooney is lighting the league up says it all

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

hah basically the same for me, the minute i hear "he's been in portugal since he was 12" i think this guy could actually be good lol.  when i hear "he came through the dallas academy" i think this guy will probably be crap.  biased, yes completely, the MLS game doesn't interest me and the quality still isn't great.  old ass wayne rooney is lighting the league up says it all

I present to you: Weston McKennie.

McKennie is an great example of our system getting better - as is Tyler Adams. But both cases, when it was time for "finishing school", where did they go? Our better prospects, and in some cases players, are under 21 in Europe. The problem, IMO, is the players we have that come up in our system are mid-20's before they ever get their call up and even then have limited experience against world class players/leagues. 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Ghoat said:

News flash - we're awful

Mexico is miles ahead of us at the moment. Pulisic is the only one completely ready for internationals, and even he still has a lot to learn.

Hopefully Sargent gets the starts from now on at striker, because Zardes has absolutely no business leading the line.

We were insisting on building out of the back and had no answer for Mexico's pressing. We completely disrupted everything in the back which means it never flowed into the midfield, and we couldn't  transition smoothly to offense. It look somewhere between a laborious task and sheer chaos to start possession. 

Dest does look a player, he might have been the bright spot.

7 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

We were insisting on building out of the back and had no answer for Mexico's pressing. We completely disrupted everything in the back which means it never flowed into the midfield, and we couldn't  transition smoothly to offense. It look somewhere between a laborious task and sheer chaos to start possession. 

Dest does look a player, he might have been the bright spot.

Yep, and the CBs had way too much work to do early on and you could see they were tiring. If we're going to play short passes out of the back like then you actually need a CB that can pass out of the back. It's a shame that Brooks is always injured as he'd be up for it and is by far our best defender.

• 1 month later...

the talent pool is awful, the last generation was truly our golden generation (yes i know they weren't that good but that is how bad we are as a country).  the solid pros like tim howard, dempsey, donovan, fabian johnson, bradley in his prime, we don't have anything like that now.  our reserves back then were tim reams and eric lichaj guys playing the championship week in and out.  now we have some kids who play in europe but aren't great, we have MLS stalwarts who simply by playing in MLS prove they aren't good enough.  our best player rides the pine at chelsea never seeing the pitch.  we don't have talent.  they will let berhalter fail, then next cycle maybe these kids will come good and the next manager will look like a genius.  

the bob bradley and bruce arena (the good years) methods of managing are missed, i get you on that.  we are not technical, not skilled.  instead of trying to look like Barca just because it's on trend, play like Fat Sam because that's the only thing that has brought us success.  defend with blood and guts and kill em on corners and counter attacks.  so in that sense, yeah maybe berhalter is in over his head.  that's what bradley did so well, he saw what he had and made the system to adapt.  physical gritty performances and the fans would get us over the line.  

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the talent pool is awful, the last generation was truly our golden generation (yes i know they weren't that good but that is how bad we are as a country).  the solid pros like tim howard, dempsey, donovan, fabian johnson, bradley in his prime, we don't have anything like that now.  our reserves back then were tim reams and eric lichaj guys playing the championship week in and out.  now we have some kids who play in europe but aren't great, we have MLS stalwarts who simply by playing in MLS prove they aren't good enough.  our best player rides the pine at chelsea never seeing the pitch.  we don't have talent.  they will let berhalter fail, then next cycle maybe these kids will come good and the next manager will look like a genius.  

the bob bradley and bruce arena (the good years) methods of managing are missed, i get you on that.  we are not technical, not skilled.  instead of trying to look like Barca just because it's on trend, play like Fat Sam because that's the only thing that has brought us success.  defend with blood and guts and kill em on corners and counter attacks.  so in that sense, yeah maybe berhalter is in over his head.  that's what bradley did so well, he saw what he had and made the system to adapt.  physical gritty performances and the fans would get us over the line.  

Like you said, we don't have the players to play like Berhalter wants, but I also don't think he's better than a Bradley, Arena, or even Klinnsmann. His team selections are also terrible despite our weak pool.

I disagreed we played like Fat Sam. If anything, we look more like that now (uninventive). Counter-attacking football isn't necessarily my favorite, but that's what we played, and it made sense given our players when played under Bradley/Arena. Klinnsmann had a go at playing more possession, but his problem was inconsistent call-ups.

Our team should be beating Canada. No doubt in my mind on that. Credit to Canada for having the desire to win, but player-for-player we are definitely the better team.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Thoughts on Dest's move to Barcelona?

he was supposed to be good not great for Ajax so it's a little surprising.  i can't tell if this is budget barca since they are financially struggling, or if they really want/need him.

side note: i read an article the other day about americans in the bundesliga and apparently there is little to no fee for americans to move abroad, so german teams are stockpiling these americans as a cheap way to take a punt and find the next pulisic so to speak.  if it doesn't work out they still sell them back to MLS for a profit.  the german coaches like the american player because most are extremely fit and they conform well (ie. they just keep their head down and work hard).  they lack the technicality, but that's the germans specialty, so they are able to teach that and mold them.  pretty interesting.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Thoughts on Dest's move to Barcelona?

He's a good player. He's a great attacker but needs to work on his defending some if he plans to stay at the fullback position. Even if he doesn't make it a Barca he'll play for a top team at some point. With the way Barca expects there fullbacks to attack I can see him getting some minutes. Right now they're playing Roberto at RB who is naturally a midfielder. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'll believe it when we start performing against top sides. I don't take too much stock in our last two wins as a sign of progress. They're teams we should be beating. 

We have a lot of more players in Europe actually getting minutes, but there are still a lot of questions around the team as a whole. 

• 5 months later...

Wasn't a huge fan of the 343 formation for starters. But to your point on Jimenez, we are also missing our best/2nd best CB in Aaron Long, our backline, especially when 3 ATB looked a bit shaky. Not having our best holding mid (Tyler Adams) matchfit to shield the back line for a full 90' didn't help either. At least he got the last 8' and extra time.  All that being said, to finally have most all the young kids available competitively for the first time... It was good win, especially after going down a goal twice, something to build on.

I still don't get how a player can grab another player's throat and not see red. Or even yellow. CONCACAF ref's are the worst.

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

We beat a Mexico side but it took their best player being injured (Raul jimenez) and added extra time to do so.  I’m still not convinced by these kids.