IGNORED

Please Bring Back Teraces

Mike said...............................Funny, that's not quite how I remember it.

You couldnt have been around in the 60s then Mike, i remember dancin on the Gladys when theres been 75.000 in the ground. Certainly gets the adrenalin going, but always leaves you shattered after the game.

Mike said...............................Funny, that's not quite how I remember it.

You couldnt have been around in the 60s then Mike, i remember dancin on the Gladys when theres been 75.000 in the ground. Certainly gets the adrenalin going, but always leaves you shattered after the game.

Not the sixties Licker but the 70s certainly. That vid looked more like a cross between line dancing and a synchronised swimming rehearsal....I remember just being carried around with the crowd, no idea which direction you were going in from one minute to the next, having to arrange a meeting place after games 'cos you never knew where the people you went with would end up...I'm getting a rush just thinking about it ('84 cup final was the best ever for me)!

Edited by mikeo

84 was good, but the 66 was better, we hadnt won it since 33, before i was born, so this being the first time for me was obviously a bit special, the whole biuld up of getting a ticket, taking the midnight train from Lime St Station after a night on the piss and singing till we got to London.

Its a long way to wembley stadium.

its a long way to go.

its a long way to wembley stadium

for the greatest team i know

Goodbye upper parli

farewell clayton square

its a long long way to wembley stadium

but Everton are there.

Full english breakfast at one of the London cafes, and a tour around the big City Calling into as many pubs as we could till the time came to walk down the Wembley way, What a feeling, Brilliant, was with a couple of brothers and a gang of mates.

And of course the Game itself was a classic .... 1-0 down at half time feelling bad, 2-0 down early in second half feeling Very bad, then 3 goals in the last half hour to end up winners, the feeling was unbelievable, even orgasmic, and i will never forget a single minute of the whole Trip. And just recalling it now is making the hairs on my neck stand on end. Fabulous.

I think every supporter of every football team in the land should experience seeing their club in a Wembley Final. Cos if they dont, they have missed out on a truly memorable experience that every supporter deserves to have locked away in their memory bank.

Been lucky enough to see all Everton finals since 66 but that first one is indelibly written into my memory :lol::lol:

THOSE WERE THE DAYS.......................................will i ever see any more.???

Edited by Licker

Hairs on the back of the neck time for me also just reading that Bill. Sadly I've no memory of '66...I was six at the time and hadn't had the "calling" by then...but by '68 I was distraught at Jeff Astle's goal. In '84 I didn't (as I've said on here before) have a ticket until a miraculous meeting in Aldershot the night before, but it was a truly epic day...etched in my mind. Great days.

Paranoid about safety.

Tell that to the DEAD.

Just a humbled individulas opinion.

Well said mate , i wish i could have experianced the terraces before the all seaters kicked in but safety is paramount .

Hillsborough brought it all home that terraces were an accident waiting to happen and am suprised it didnt happen earlier but history teaches us lessons lest we forget . :mellow:

Edited by Willo

Spot on M, the warning signs are there for all to see.

I like to watch my footie safely.

ATB

Mac

No disrespect but its easy to say if you've been there!

If someone said heres a time machine but you have one destination only it wouldnt be to see the dinosaurs or have one last moment with the grandparents (god rest their souls) it would be to go back and stand on that swaying Gwladys street win loose or draw!!

I think what us owl arses are trying to say L, we loved it, and wished our younger blue bretheren could have seen it for themselves.

I would gladly give a few of the games I've seen to you younger lads to see what it's like, but even if one person is saved by the new measures it's worth the sacrifice.

ATB

Mac

I think what us owl arses are trying to say L, we loved it, and wished our younger blue bretheren could have seen it for themselves.

I would gladly give a few of the games I've seen to you younger lads to see what it's like, but even if one person is saved by the new measures it's worth the sacrifice.

ATB

Mac

I'm unconvinced teraces can be blamed for deaths at football matches I'm more inclined to blame piss poor untrained police officers, fencing & general behaviour tolerences. I believe society, policing and public awareness has moved on leaps & bounds and I honestly believe the fact that a massive proportion of lower league clubs & virtually every club in ireland having teraces hammers home that they are not dangerous!

Each to his own, but we seem to read of diff pages L on this one.

Should have been dealt with after the Ibrox disaster....But we didnt learn until it was close to home. Very close.

Mate as much as the romance envigures, I bet allt he older chaps can vouch for @ least several fukin close calls on the old terraces with a late surge in to a ground.

Goodison was 1 of the better ones. But others were death traps waitng to happen.

Im gonan stop now, as It's opening old wounds for me personally that had infact disapated somewhat.

There was a day in April 1989 when football in our community NO MORE MATTERED & I still get a lump in my thorat & an eeerie spine chill on reflection.

That lump & chill is enough to tell this lost soul that the correct decisons & legislations were evrntually made.

Better late than never, well for some.

I apllaud your enthusiasm & youthfull rebeliousness, curiosity, exploration & consideration of the age old romantic dynamics, whilst having no doubt there would have been a time we would have sung from the same song sheet in regards to, But im now old n soft .... ;)

There was a day in April 1989 when football in our community NO MORE MATTERED & I still get a lump in my thorat & an eeerie spine chill on reflection.

That lump & chill is enough to tell this lost soul that the correct decisons & legislations were evrntually made.

That day more than any other stands clear in my mind Pat and as a 9 year old kid thats quite strange I know and understand exactly where your viewpoints come from and will respectfully leave this discussion as its fruitless at best.

My parting word, the best goal experience for me watching Everton still remains Danny Cadermarteri (??) scoring at Oxford in the cup on an open air terrace and that is all I long for with 10,000 around me instead of 4,000.

Pat said............I apllaud your enthusiasm & youthfull rebeliousness, curiosity, exploration & consideration of the age old romantic dynamics, whilst having no doubt there would have been a time we would have sung from the same song sheet in regards to, But im now old n soft

But a lot wiser. ;)

Tho i still miss the Terraces.

Edited by Licker

Went 3 times 84/85/86 plus league cup and numerous charity shield games, in fact Wembley was like a second home to us in the 80s, but cant recall anything about those games like i can about the 66 one, that was special. :)

Only lucky enough to get the '84 final ticket, but was at three (I think) Charity shields and the Simod ( :o ) cup final...always parked in the same place..joked it was our own personal space :lol: . Wembley Way was magic, will never forget that walk.

Edited by mikeo