IGNORED

Red Shite Robbing Tunes

I've heard it a few times now when "The Shite" have been on Telly.

They sing something to the tune of our Arteta song - "Follow Follow Follow etc.." Is it any coincidence that they start singning something to this tune when EFC have been singing it for ages I think not.

I also found out that they robbed "You'll Never Walk Alone" off Manure plus everyone knows the "Fields of Anfield Road" is robbed off Celtic is there nothing these lot wont nick?

Thoughts anyone?

i hate it when Liverpool think they have a connection with Celtic. Everton and Celtic will always be the 2 Catholic sides. In fact Celtic used to sing "you'll never walk alone" before Liverpool.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!

Everton is NOT a catholic side. Religion plays no part in football in this city AND Thank God (or whoever) for that.

Catholics, Protestants and Atheists for that matter support BOTH EFC and LFC.

EVERTON started out as ST.DOMINGOs A METHODIST CHURCH team, and Methodism is a form of Protestantism. So HOW ON EARTH can you claim Everton have always been a catholic side.

You are obviously a catholic looking for a connection. There isnt one. Religion and football dont mix. By all means believe what you want, your faith is your choice BUT dont bring it to the ground with you. You want to be religious? Then go to church.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!

Everton is NOT a catholic side. Religion plays no part in football in this city AND Thank God (or whoever) for that.

EVERTON started out as ST.DOMINGOs A METHODIST CHURCH team, and Methodism is a form of Protestantism. So HOW ON EARTH can you claim Everton have always been a catholic side.

You are obviously a catholic looking for a connection. There isnt one. Religion and football dont mix. By all means believe what you want, your faith is your choice BUT dont bring it to the ground with you. You want to be religious? Then go to church.

Excuse me, please dont call me an idiot you prick. Why cant i bring religion into football? Thats where it all started for Everton. Listen mate dont ever type to me like that again. Its like your speaking to a child.

Excuse me, please dont call me an idiot you prick. Why cant i bring religion into football? Thats where it all started for Everton. Listen mate dont ever type to me like that again. Its like your speaking to a child.

Your 17 (like myself) so you still our infact a child.

Yes thats where it all started but if you read my post before getting upset over the "idiot" comment you would see that St. Domingos Church was Methodist. ie an offspin of Protestantism SO that blows your catholic theory out the window.

To answer your Q; "Why not bring religion into football". ANSWER: Look at Glasgow, hardly healthy is it. Religion causes problems (not just in football either).

Apologies for upsetting you by the"idiot" thing. The other day I suggested Kirkby was preferable to Speke and for that got called a cheeky twit!! And I didnt fly off the handle.

Edited by Maghull70

Yes thats where it all started but if you read my post before getting upset over the "idiot" comment you would see that St. Domingos Church was Methodist. ie an offspin of Protestantism SO that blows your catholic theory out the window.

To answer your Q; "Why not bring religion into football". ANSWER: Look at Glasgow, hardly healthy is it. Religion causes problems (not just in football either).

Apologies for upsetting you by the"idiot" thing. The other day I suggested Kirkby was preferable to Speke and for that got called a cheeky twit!! And I didnt fly off the handle.

Of course you are right. Apologies for th prick comment. It was more 40/60 in that mine was slightly more nasty than ours. And to Everton Lad i wouldnt really call 17 being a child. Not when am 18 in December.

Of course you are right. Apologies for th prick comment. It was more 40/60 in that mine was slightly more nasty than ours. And to Everton Lad i wouldnt really call 17 being a child. Not when am 18 in December.

i too am 18 in december but until then where counted as children :P

Fields of Athenry was sung in the late 80s a couple of times by Everton. Didn't last long though. Also, in the 1985 Rotterdam final the original got sung by the Celtic fans who came down to support us.

I'm sure there are a few that we've took off them in the past too even if they were shortlived

YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!

You are correct that religion doesnt and rightly shouldnt play any part in football in our city but it is widely accepted that in the early years Everton were supposedly the catholic club in Liverpool.

I know and you know it makes no difference today but that was the trend back in the day!

I also read that .

For once...& I must say.."We Do care what the red..... say".

The community solidarity is becoming reminiscent to that of even older wounds.

I am impressed by this action of Liverpool F.C.

I agree nice touch!

Edited by GoldfishMemory

You are correct that religion doesnt and rightly shouldnt play any part in football in our city but it is widely accepted that in the early years Everton were supposedly the catholic club in Liverpool.

I know and you know it makes no difference today but that was the trend back in the day!

I agree nice touch!

There is an excellent article on toffeweb about the religion issue (or non-issue)

http://www.toffeeweb.com/fans/beingblue/religion.asp

An EXTRACT: "There appears to be little real evidence to suggest any strong relationship between support of Everton and adherence to either the Catholic or Protestant faiths. Parental family ties appear to have been much stronger, with many current Evertonians citing fathers or grandfathers (of either religion) who were true blue, through and through".

It appears that in the 1890's a catholic Doctor joined the Everton board so started a trend of Catholics who chose to support Everton back then. And in the 1950's we had a few Irish players so drew a bit of an irish crowd (but we have also had orange men before that and ofcourse untold Protestants on the board in the early days). So it appears that Catholics have made dubious links with Everton and clung to them. In reality we have no allegiance to either Catholic or Protestant.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, We have faith in EVERTON FC.

Edited by Maghull70

our (liverpools) connection with Celtic has absolutely nothing to do with religion, and little to do with the clubs themselves.

The connection is pretty much totally 'fan' based, due largely to the Celtic fans continued support of the Hillsborough Justice campaign, in particular the 'jungle bhoys'.

There is still a greta divide amonst liverpool fans as to which Glasgow team to support, in my experience the split seems fairly 50/50 although even the Rangers camp are happy to acknowledge the friendship and support of the celtic lads.

The Kenny Dalglish and YNWA connection also helps of course.

As to the original post - the tune was knicked, but the words are completely different. I'm not sure what your point is really as I'm struggling to think of a single football song with a truely original tune that wasn't "knicked" from other clubs / popular music / nursary rhymes etc...

Taken from the Everton FC page on Wikipedia - "Everton supporters sing several songs on matchdays but the most common is "It's a grand old team"; it is adopted from the version sung by Celtic supporters, making changes like "we don't care what the red side say" — a reference to red-wearing-rivals Liverpool"

Most of our old classics come from old Irish tunes, both Catholic and Prodistant. In fact Poor Scouser Tommy uses one from each camp.

• 2 weeks later...

The very fact that people are talking and asking "are we a Protestant of Catholic team" should tell you straight away that we are NEITHER. Otherwise it would be common knowledge one way or the other.

Celtic and Rangers, everyone knows because it is relevant and an issue. They take sides up there. Down in England we dont. Everton and Liverpool have supporters of both Catholic and Protestant faiths (and many people of neither faith).

Not sure about the "Priests team" tag that BlueInValencia mentioned.

Never personally have took any interest in St. Lukes Church at the corner of Goodison but isnt that C of E? And as it has been mentioned already on here, EFC were started by a group of Protestants, the Methodists.

There are arguments to support both sides perhaps this suggests that Religion plays no real part in our past and most certainly not our future.

Please can we keep this destructive religion issue north of the border. It plays no part at Everton or Liverpool.

We have Catholic supporters, we have Protestant supporters, we have many that dont believe in God and probably a few of other faiths too. All are welcome at the Church of Everton FC.