71 replies to this topic

#41 GMorrison183

GMorrison183

Wayne Rooney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 14:04

Moyesy doesn't see Fellatio (think that should be his name now) as a holding player interestingly.

So I wonder how he fits in the dynamic of the team? He doesn't have a massive goal return so I can't see him playing as advanced as TC.

Perhaps more of a Hargreaves type character energising the team than a sitting player like Makelele.

“I don’t think for one minute that he is another Lee Carsley. I see (Segundo) Castillo as being the one who will play like Cars. What his arrival does, though, is give us the competition we have needed in midfield.

Based on that, I think he'll be right in the middle between Arteta and Pienaar/Osman.

--------------Castillo-----------------
Arteta--------Fellaini--------Peanuts
--------------Cahill-------------------

#42 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 19:10

Based on that, I think he'll be right in the middle between Arteta and Pienaar/Osman.

thats the midfield id like to see. and nice that we have osman too

#43 Calico

Calico

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 20:39

thats the midfield id like to see. and nice that we have osman too

Hm. I dunno, I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable about how Cahill would be an automatic choice over Ossie when he plays nowhere near as much and so has become somewhat unreliable. Then I see Ossie play most games for us, giving as much effort as Cahill and improving all the while. Just my feeling on it. :)

My team for this year...

-----------------------------------Howard----------------------------------
Jacobsen------------Lescott---------------------Yobo----------------Baines
-----------------------------------Castillo-----------------------------------
Arteta--------------------------------------------------------------Pienaar
-----------------Fellaini--------------------------Osman---------------------
---------------------------------Yakubu-------------------------------------

#44 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 21:01

Hm. I dunno, I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable about how Cahill would be an automatic choice over Ossie when he plays nowhere near as much and so has become somewhat unreliable. Then I see Ossie play most games for us, giving as much effort as Cahill and improving all the while. Just my feeling on it. :)

My team for this year...

-----------------------------------Howard----------------------------------
Jacobsen------------Lescott---------------------Yobo----------------Baines
-----------------------------------Castillo-----------------------------------
Arteta--------------------------------------------------------------Pienaar
-----------------Fellaini--------------------------Osman---------------------
---------------------------------Yakubu-------------------------------------

I have the same thought Calico, my reasoning all depends on how Castillo turns out, he and Fellaini may be switched.
Castillo's goal ratio gives me the impression that he will play a more forward role and Fellaini play the defensive role, but both are supposed to be excellent box to box players so i think i have to wait to see how it develops, if they are that good we might not need to go 4-5-1, in which case both Cahill and Osman may be on the bench.

PS ........ would also have Neville at fullback until i've seen Jacobsen play. Lescott fullback, and Jags centre half.

#45 toffeeblue1987

toffeeblue1987

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 21:50

How can you leave Jags or Cahill out of the starting team. Cahill is arguably our best player and Jags was our most consistant player last year in my opinion hence his England call up. He is the kevin ratcliff of today! This in my opinion is undoubtedly the strongest team we have available when all are fit.

Howard

Neville Jags Lescott Baines

Fellani

Piennar Cahill Arteta

Yakubu Saha

The only debate is whether to play Yobo in the center and play Lescott at full back. I think this is our strongest team. Watch the standard liege game against the shite and youll see hoe impressive fellani looks!

Not happy with the players we have missed out on and our still small squad but i think we can make do untill january. PLEASE PLEASE MOYES, SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE!!! NSNO

#46 EFC-Paul

EFC-Paul

If you are going through hell....keep going

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 21:51

I have the same thought Calico, my reasoning all depends on how Castillo turns out, he and Fellaini may be switched.
Castillo's goal ratio gives me the impression that he will play a more forward role and Fellaini play the defensive role, but both are supposed to be excellent box to box players so i think i have to wait to see how it develops, if they are that good we might not need to go 4-5-1, in which case both Cahill and Osman may be on the bench.

PS ........ would also have Neville at fullback until i've seen Jacobsen play. Lescott fullback, and Jags centre half.

I think your right Liker mate Castillo imo will play the more advanced football and Fellaini will do the dirty work at the back either way tho if both turn out to be good players and we have a fully fit squad we look very good on paper, With the likes of Saha competing and a good set of MF's to choose from im quite looking forward to how things pan out, As we know were very suspect at the back with Lesbo at CB i just hope Moyes see's sense and goes back to the winning formula we had last season plus i'd like Jacobson to turn out to be an improvement on Neville if that is the case i can still se us doing very well

Edited by EFC-Paul, 02 Sep 2008 - 21:53.

#47 Jesse11

Jesse11

Phil Jagielka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 21:52

This is exactly how we need to play when cahill comes back. When him and ossie are both fit no one could argue that cahill is not the better player. and until he shows us otherwise we need to show full confidence in him. It is also very pleasing to see that we will now be able to bring on quality subs such as ossie and saha and then young fellas like rodwell and baxter to either pinch hit or give them some time when the game is already decided instead of playing them for 90 minutes when their development isn't at that stage yet.

#48 DonKey

DonKey

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 Sep 2008 - 22:12

I think your right Liker mate Castillo imo will play the more advanced football and Fellaini will do the dirty work at the back either way tho if both turn out to be good players and we have a fully fit squad we look very good on paper, With the likes of Saha competing and a good set of MF's to choose from im quite looking forward to how things pan out, As we know were very suspect at the back with Lesbo at CB i just hope Moyes see's sense and goes back to the winning formula we had last season plus i'd like Jacobson to turn out to be an improvement on Neville if that is the case i can still se us doing very well

Not too sure about that one boys.

"Hi all from Belgrade.

Castillo is very good player and you are lucky to get him.

He is hard working defensive midfielder with great understanding of game and very good anticipation. Although vertically chalenged, he scored quite a few headers during his 2 year spell with us, during which he was voted best player by fans twice. I think the real reason B'burn didn't sign him is his contract, which is very complicated - he is partly owned by his former Ecuadorian club, partly by Red Star, partly by his manager, which won't look good with your FA after Tevez case. Also, he desperately wanted to get out of Red Star which is in permanent ownership turmoil for some time now, so he didn't had any training with us during pre season. I guess you will have to wait for month or two to start seeing the best of him."

Edited by DonKey, 02 Sep 2008 - 22:13.

#49 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 07:36

How can you leave Jags....out of the starting team. He is the kevin ratcliff of today!

I'm guessing from your name you were born in 1987, and never saw The Rat play.

Jags has a long way to go before he can be spoken about in the same breath as Kevin.

#50 Calico

Calico

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 10:11

Yeah, I did think Castillo was the defensive one between the pair of our new midfielder players, especially after what Moyes said about seeing Fellaini as more than just a destructive player. I mean, Fellaini is huge and if we're lucky enough this kid could dominate in a box-to-box role.... no pressure, though <_<

#51 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 10:26

Not too sure about that one boys.

"Hi all from Belgrade.

Castillo is very good player and you are lucky to get him.

He is hard working defensive midfielder with great understanding of game and very good anticipation. Although vertically chalenged, he scored quite a few headers during his 2 year spell with us, during which he was voted best player by fans twice. I think the real reason B'burn didn't sign him is his contract, which is very complicated - he is partly owned by his former Ecuadorian club, partly by Red Star, partly by his manager, which won't look good with your FA after Tevez case. Also, he desperately wanted to get out of Red Star which is in permanent ownership turmoil for some time now, so he didn't had any training with us during pre season. I guess you will have to wait for month or two to start seeing the best of him."

From Fellaini's own interview on the OS ........

"I am a physical player and my style and strength will really fit in with the English game.

"I don't know a lot about the team but I am young, I can bring youthful enthusiasm and I am really keen to do well and succeed. I fulfill a defensive midfield role and I can prove a good barrier to protect the defence.

As i said earlier, it might be that both will play in the middle in a 4-4-2, both are suposedly excellent box to box players with bags of energy. interesting line up for the stoke game. :) as also stated earlier Castillo,s goal ratio is much better (average 8 a season) so i am assuming he gets forward more often.

#52 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 11:03

Why won't Fellaini be playing against Stoke?
See this part of his interview:

Indeed, those games against Liverpool have heightened the midfielder's anticipation of the Merseyside derby, which could be one of his first games for Everton later this month.

#53 phelpsy

phelpsy

Anders Limpar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 11:04

I read somewhere Moyes saying Castillio is seen as the Carsley type player although he likes to fly forward on occasion. Fellieni is our Gerrard!!

#54 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 11:06

Stoke probably will be his first game. The Liverpool game will be his first home game, which i think is what the quote is alluding to.

#55 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,175 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 11:07

Mate, it says ONE of his first games so it's not likely to be his actual first game. I hope not anyway.

#56 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 11:25

Mate, it says ONE of his first games so it's not likely to be his actual first game. I hope not anyway.

Yeah that was my first thought too but when you read the whole article it never entertains the fact he could be playing next week, always "later this month". Maybe I read too much into things...

#57 Adam

Adam

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 11:48

I have to say things are a little interesting now with the squad we have.

Could still had been so much better but still we work with what we got.

First thing I would say is how can we say that any of the new signings would be in our strongest 11. You would like to think that all of them would be able to play for the starting 11, however we wont know for a couple of games and with that I would not expect 2 many changes to begin with.

I would expect Lescott to go at left back for the next game and Jags into defence and Neville if fit to stay at right back.

I would thing Cast will come into midfiled along with Fellini, Arteta, Osman (if fit) but if not then Rodwwell will stay and Yaks and Vaughan up front.

Providing all new players play well and all fit for me I would have the following team

Howard
Neville, Yobo, Jags, Lescott
Castillo
Arteta, Fellini, Peanuts
Cahill
Yaks

bench
Nash, Baines, Valente, Osman, Vaughan, Jars, Saha

Also got Victor than can play as well in place of one of the defenders on the bench if need be.

I think I am missing someone but cant think who

#58 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 12:14

First thing I would say is how can we say that any of the new signings would be in our strongest 11. You would like to think that all of them would be able to play for the starting 11, however we wont know for a couple of games and with that I would not expect 2 many changes to begin with.

I would expect Lescott to go at left back for the next game and Jags into defence and Neville if fit to stay at right back.

I would thing Cast will come into midfiled along with Fellini, Arteta, Osman (if fit) but if not then Rodwwell will stay and Yaks and Vaughan up front.

Providing all new players play well and all fit for me I would have the following team

Howard
Castillo
Arteta, Fellini, Peanuts
Cahill
Yaks

bench

Also got Victor than can play as well in place of one of the defenders on the bench if need be.

Moutinho.?? :D

#59 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 13:16

Howard
Castillo
Arteta, Fellini, Peanuts
Cahill
Yaks

bench

Hibbert. Who can switch in and out with Nuno Valente as a bench sub depending on which one seems more likely to be useful that day.

#60 maxenri

maxenri

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 13:19

Howard
Castillo
Arteta, Fellini, Peanuts
Cahill
Yaks

No, That can't work with Fellaini.
X - X - X - X
Fellaini
X X X

That's the only way for him to be at his best. Like that, he'll make your defenders best of PL ;) (maybe :D)

With national team :
X - X - X - X
X
Fellaini - X
X X
X
Wasn't good at all.

With U21 national team :
X - X - X - X
Fellaini - X
X - X - X
X
Wasn't bad but anywhere near what he does at Liège.

#61 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 13:33

No, That can't work with Fellaini.
X - X - X - X
Fellaini
X X X

That's the only way for him to be at his best. Like that, he'll make your defenders best of PL ;) (maybe :D)

With national team :
X - X - X - X
X
Fellaini - X
X X
X
Wasn't good at all.

With U21 national team :
X - X - X - X
Fellaini - X
X - X - X
X
Wasn't bad but anywhere near what he does at Liège.

That's where I thought he would be playing. Replacing Carsley by sitting right in front of the defence. Perfect replacement in my eyes and exaclty the kind of player we really needed.

#62 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,175 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 13:40

I thought he'd be the replacement for Cars as well but Moyes sees Castillo as that man and at the end of the day he'll be picking the team. We'll just have to see how it works out. Wouldn't it be great if Castillo turns out to be very good, then we have real options in midfield, something I feared we wouldn't have til January at the earliest.

#63 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 14:03

I thought he'd be the replacement for Cars as well but Moyes sees Castillo as that man and at the end of the day he'll be picking the team. We'll just have to see how it works out. Wouldn't it be great if Castillo turns out to be very good, then we have real options in midfield, something I feared we wouldn't have til January at the earliest.

From what I have seen of Castillio I think that he could be a very good signing, I am confident that he will bring something postive to the team. Even if when we have a full strenght team he is strong option from the bench. From what I have seen of him he plays a Carrick type role. Sitting in the middle of the park and helping to start forward moves, but he is not a defensive player, just a central player. I think he'll be a useful signing. Just hope he can cut it in the prem

#64 toffeeblue1987

toffeeblue1987

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 17:50

I'm guessing from your name you were born in 1987, and never saw The Rat play.

Jags has a long way to go before he can be spoken about in the same breath as Kevin.

You're correct Mike, I have never seen him play live. But as a huge Evertonian I have both read and watched many games of Everton which The Rat played in. I also come from a family of Evertonains, many of them having seen him pay at Goodison! I wouldn't have used his name without having the knowledge to do so! I think Jags is very similar to the Rat as he reads the game beautifully, great in the air and controls the back line well. Sound familiar?! ;)

#65 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 03 Sep 2008 - 18:00

You're correct Mike, I have never seen him play live. But as a huge Evertonian I have both read and watched many games of Everton which The Rat played in. I also come from a family of Evertonains, many of them having seen him pay at Goodison! I wouldn't have used his name without having the knowledge to do so! I think Jags is very similar to the Rat as he reads the game beautifully, great in the air and controls the back line well. Sound familiar?! ;)

That's completely acceptable :D .

Just the choice of words, "He reminds me of The Rat," or "He plays like The Rat" would have been fine.

"He's The Rat of today?" Not yet....but I take your point (and I hope he is one day!).

#66 Blue4Ever

Blue4Ever

Peter Reid

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2008 - 11:12

MY STOKE TEAM

-----------------------------------HOWARD---------------------------------------

NEVILLE-----------YOBO-----------------------------JAGS-------------LESCOTT

----------------------------FELLANI-------CASTILLO-----------------------------

-----ARTETA---------------------------------------------------------PIENAAR----

-----------------------------SAHA-----------YAK-----------------------------------

ARE BEST LINE UP : UNLESS JAKOBSON PROVES TO BE BETTER THAN NEVILLE

-----------------------------------HOWARD----------------------------------------

NEVILLE-------------YOBO-------------------------JAGS---------------LESCOTT

------------------------------------FELLANI----------------------------------------

----------ARTETA-----------------CAHILL--------------------OSMAN-------------

-----------------------SAHA-----------------------YAK-----------------------------

#67 jofanon

jofanon

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2008 - 11:15

Agreed with Stoke team. I think Saha is injured actually (surprise) though so I'd replace him him with Jimmy.

If we can't beat Stoke with that team (which is pretty much our strongest baring Cahill) then we should all go home now.

#68 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2008 - 11:39

1 would agree also on the Stoke team but i think Pienaar is injured as well as Saha, so i will stick Vaughan and Osman in there.

But i will hold back on our best eleven till i have seen Castillo, his goal ratio (18 in the last two seasons) is on a par with Cahills, but he might have more about him in the tackling and general ball distribution department than Cahill has. ;)

#69 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2008 - 13:14

Vaughan scored for the Reserves last night too so he should be fired up for the Stoke game, hope Moyes lets hiim loose.

#70 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2008 - 17:24

i know this is me being picky, but the word OUR and ARE.

OUR - Our team is going to win. possesive
ARE - There are a lot of tiles on the floor. objective

just a quick grammar lesson.

#71 toffeeblue1987

toffeeblue1987

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2008 - 21:59

That's completely acceptable :D .

Just the choice of words, "He reminds me of The Rat," or "He plays like The Rat" would have been fine.

"He's The Rat of today?" Not yet....but I take your point (and I hope he is one day!).

Lets hope he does! lol :D

#72 fussybear

fussybear

Joe Parkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 20:48

howard

neville yobo jags lescott

castillo

osman fellinai arteta
cahill

yak

as you will see the back four is soild no arguement there really, i like baines but for all his crosses last week, glenn johnson mugged him on several occasions, therefore i've stuck with the above. i cant see jacubson being a better pro than pip, so i've stuck with pip,i think he is a soild right back.

midfield is interesting, as moyes says he see castillo doing the carsley therefore hes holding just in front of the back four, mopping up so to speak. in front he's got the triangle of felliani and cahill. if your playing a five in midflield, cahill is ruthless in such a formation, and at 15 mill on th drip, fellinai must be talent and starts slighlt behind him. arteta on the left and osman on the right, swapping as they see fit.

the yak on his tod.

nevertheless i would go for the 442 on about 60 mins mark in most games, bringing vaughan and vic to forge a partnership for the future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users