IGNORED

Sylvain Distin

blueblood

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that bothers me is the combination of his age and the fee but then, beggars can't be choosers and Everton *are* beggars as we all well know.

For the issue of his lack of pace: I hope we're able to sign players who aren't defined by whether they can run quickly or not. Even in the "quick and hard Premier League" players in wide position do not need pace to survive or even play well IMO.

I would also like to agree with the sentiment that he is one of the more composed defenders in the league and that is exactly what we could do with alongside Jags or Yobo.

So yeah, overall, I'm quite happy with him. And like every single player wearing our shirt I will be supporting him and looking for him to prove his worth.

Master stroke? I dunno, but a good move possibly :P

I think when he has fallen to pieces, as it were, I have often thought that if he was surrounded by better players then it wouldn't happen so much if at all. I just kind of think that he will likely fit in very, very well with not only the squad but the first team.

I can take this one or leave it, He;s a half decent centre half and we need one desperately, we only have Yobo.

What puzzles me about this tho is why all of a sudden Moyes has gone against his policy, replacing aging players with younger ones and bringing the average age down.

Dont forget we only offered Carsley a one year deal because he was over 30, so he chose to leave. Now here we are giving 31 years old Distan a 3 year contract with the option of another year, and paying over 5 million for him.

Huth, Taylor, Senderos, Wheater, and Shawcross, All younger and have all been linked, so it puzzles me why we went with Distin. ???

I can take this one or leave it, He;s a half decent centre half and we need one desperately, we only have Yobo.

What puzzles me about this tho is why all of a sudden Moyes has gone against his policy, replacing aging players with younger ones and bringing the average age down.

Dont forget we only offered Carsley a one year deal because he was over 30, so he chose to leave. Now here we are giving 31 years old Distan a 3 year contract with the option of another year, and paying over 5 million for him.

Huth, Taylor, Senderos, Wheater, and Shawcross, All younger and have all been linked, so it puzzles me why we went with Distin. ???

I suspect if the rumours where true that we looked into any of the above that maybe their clubs wanted more then what Moyes was/is willing to spend if we have targets set out we may have limited/split funds for each area he's looking into or we could still be looking into landing another defender i still have a feeling Taylor might come for some reason, I would rather have Distin then Huth Wheater and Senderos myself anyway.

Yar, I reckon Distin is a better player right now than those other so-called targets. Youth and potential is wonderful but we do already have plenty of that so I can see where Moyes might be changing his mind with this kind of signing. His experience could be vital and, quite frankly, something which that back line has been missing since the likes of Weir left.

I dont understand why you cant grasp the situation that the club is in

There are only 4 days left in the transfer window and we only have one LB and one fit CB at the club and Distin is an established Premiership player who can cover both those positions

As well as being more expensive none of the younger players you have mentioned can fill that criteria, and we may yet stll sign one of those anyway

It is a completely different senario to that of Lee Carsley, who by the way did not leave Everton because he was only offered a one year contract. He asked to leave because he wanted to return to the Birmingham area(where he is from) so that he could look after his handicapped son as he does a lot of charity work for the illness that he has got.

So Everton released him as a good will gesture

Duncan if you look at the first line of my post, you will see that i am ok with Distan, because we needed one desperately. It was just the change in Daveys policy that had me puzzled.

I think you will find that we only offered Carsley a one year extention, he wanted two years, he might well have chosen Birmingham because of his family background but that does'nt alter the fact we only offer one year extentions to players over 30. Distan 31 and a 3year contract. ??

His contract with Everton was due to expire at the end of 2007–08 season; he chose not to accept the offered extension, and signed for home-town club Birmingham City in May 2008.[7] With club captain Damien Johnson expected to be out of action for several months following a back operation, Carsley started the 2008–09 season as captain.[8] At the Birmingham City end of season awards he won the Player's player of the season award, and the Junior Blues Player of the season award. (Wiki)

Oh how we missed him, and still not replaced

Bill, we have missed Carsley, I agree. But we have still achieved relative success without him here. I think, though, that this could be the year when we need someone exactly in his mould, since it could be the year of Arteta playing centrally . . . yes, I am the champion of that particular cause :P

Louis, I take it you give no hope to the possibility of Distin having an 'Indian Summer' then? :P

Good point made by Churinga. Signing two captain's must have some benefits for a team which lacks a strong presence of leadership surely?

Edited by Calico

at the end of the day, he is a CB and cover LB too. he is 31, but so what? David Weir is still playing at 40! He has a lot of experience in the EPL, allbeit for lesser clubs, but he wasnt part of a relegated club (though they came close) like huth/wheater/taylor. i think 5mill for a CB/LB cover is a bargin, and he can do well for us for the next few years. also dont forget, he is competition for Yobo (who needs pushin in my opinion) and only a guarenteed started until Jags is back. dont write him off folks, i think this is an excellent bit of business from the boss, again!

Edited by galacticaracnid

Duncan if you look at the first line of my post, you will see that i am ok with Distan, because we needed one desperately. It was just the change in Daveys policy that had me puzzled.

I think you will find that we only offered Carsley a one year extention, he wanted two years, he might well have chosen Birmingham because of his family background but that does'nt alter the fact we only offer one year extentions to players over 30. Distan 31 and a 3year contract. ??

His contract with Everton was due to expire at the end of 2007–08 season; he chose not to accept the offered extension, and signed for home-town club Birmingham City in May 2008.[7] With club captain Damien Johnson expected to be out of action for several months following a back operation, Carsley started the 2008–09 season as captain.[8] At the Birmingham City end of season awards he won the Player's player of the season award, and the Junior Blues Player of the season award. (Wiki)

Oh how we missed him, and still not replaced

The reason he has gone against his policy is because we are desperate, end of. There is no mystery.

With regards to Carsley trust me you are wrong.

The reason he left was for those I stated and he would have gone if we had have offered him a ten year contract regardless ok wht wikipedia say

its happened now, i wish him the best of luck. I like the fact he drove to finch farm on his own last night to complete a medical coz there were no planes available. it shows that he's keen and thats the sort of player i like, irrelevant of age. Welcome Distin and hopefully you can stop the leakage in defence :)

Underwhelmed with this signing, £5m for a 31 year old is bad business no matter how much Lescott was sold for.

As much as I respect your opinion Louis (and I do) I want to disagree with you on this one.

If I mention Richard Gough, David Weir and so on you will see why.

I think this may (and I say MAY) be one of the best deals around. I reckon that we will get the full three seasons he has signed for out of him and maybe more.

(Now we need a suitable Right Back to compliment him.)

The reason he has gone against his policy is because we are desperate, end of. There is no mystery.

With regards to Carsley trust me you are wrong.

The reason he left was for those I stated and he would have gone if we had have offered him a ten year contract regardless ok wht wikipedia say

I think he has most likely gone against his policy because it's a lot different being a 30+ year old defender rather than midfielder. Defenders (Weir, Watson, Gough) get better with experience and aren't so reliant on pace and the stamina that a midfielder will need. I think Distin is a very good signing, £5m seems a bit pricey but he's left footed, experienced in the premiership, has always been a decent player and will allow Rodwell etc time to grow into the role and for Jags to return. I think he'll be an excellent signing. Nice one Moyes. Our transfer business is now starting to look up, selling Lescott was always the right thing to do to strengthen the team. It's just a pity we've had another rubbish start to the season due to all the uncertainty and negativity around the club, I expect things to change fast now and our season to turn around. COYB!