IGNORED

Lets Not F#ck Around!

After watching another game of totally dominating a top premier league team whatever happens this summer we need to spend on a top striker. Our squad is top quality apart from our forwards. Our build up play is phenomonal at times but we havent the quality to finish games and even if you look at even tonights game,Birmingham,Wolves just at a push whats the difference? A centre firework! Davey isnt daft and he knows what we need but Yobo, Yak , Vaughan need to be sacrificed for someone like Vagner Love who has a proven track record. I truly believe thats all were missing.

Vaughan need to be sacrificed for someone like Vagner Love who has a proven track record. I truly believe thats all were missing.

Vagner Love CSKA (majority of his career) strike rate a goal every 1.9 games (95 in 184).

Impessive.

Jo...at CSKA a strike rate of a goal every 1.7 (30 in 53).

"Proven track record" we're better off resigning Jo :mellow: .

yak played poorly, granted, but we squandered a lead, twice and have done multiple times this season, we're scoring but our defence has been shite. so when you say our teams top notch bar upfront, is it really? if it is someone must be doing something wrong in the tactical department!

It's a combination of a poor defence, bad tactics and our strikers failing.

Poor defence - we've looked shaky at the back all season long, all of our CB's, bar Heitinga tbh, look like they could slip up at any given moment and instill no confidence in me whatsoever. They invite pressure on the side because they hoof the ball out far too much. I thought once we got Jags back it'd settle down but he's looked like a nervous schoolboy and has been error prone too.

Bad tactics - Many a time this season we've gone ahead after dominating the opposition only to then sit on that one goal lead, we sit deep and give the opposition acres of space to play infront of us and try and defend what we've got. That's not the best option when we've had such a bad defence this season, as mentioned above. What we should be doing is going for the kill, beat teams 3-, 4-, 5-0 ffs. Then we can sit back. So Moyes needs to shoulder some of the blame here.

Strikers failing - There's not much to say here. We simply haven't converted enough chances, especially lately, and that responsibility falls to the strikers.

I think the key point is we're not the finished article yet.

I think our midfield is superb and as strong as anyone in the Prem right now, even without Arteta, Fellaini and in the second Heitinga, we totally bossed Villa, and they aren't to shabby in the middle either. It just gives me such a good feeling watching some of the football we've produced in the past few months, just a shame we won't get any reward for it this season.

I said on another post yesterday we're short of a 20-goals-a-season striker, we definitely don't score the goals some of our football deserves - as last night proved, we still rely on Cahill from set pieces, which is no further on from where we were five years ago.

Yeah the defence has been a let down this season and ultimately it will be letting goals slip that costs us. I think Jags just needs a pre-season under his belt to be totally confident in himself again, I wouldn't want Moyes to rush out and panic-buy a defender, apart from maybe cover at LB, coz i think a striker is more important. We've got some good players at the back, and I'll be interested to see how Coleman and Duffy progress next season. I think as much as anything we need a settled first choice back four, which we havent really had all season.

Tactics - yeah, probably a fair point. Not just that we sit back too much when we're ahead, which is always doomed to failure and even more so with a slightly nervous back four. I don't think we're patient enough when we find it hard to break teams down and end up reverting back to big boot stuff, which means giving up possession and inviting pressure etc etc. With some of the touch players we've got now, we should be looking at the Arsenal-Barca way of playing, keep the ball, knock it around and trust in skill, vision and technique to wear opposition down. It's how we've beaten Utd, Chelsea, City etc this season, so why do we not always play like that against the likes of Wolves and West Ham?

Vagner Love is certainly no better than what we have already! I have seen him play a fair few times for Brazil and he missed some shockers and his general all round play was poor.

The problem is that top class strikers cost bucket loads, unless you can somehow get them young and let them develop. I cant really think of a top class striker that we could afford and who would want to come to the club.

I havent watched yesterdays game, so I dont know how the Yak played BUT IMO he is our best striker when he is completely up to scratch. Dont forget that achilles tendon injuries take a lot of time to properly heal (no pun) and a striker like Yakubu needs to see the ball hitting the back of the net consistently before he really trusts his ankle and himself. Yakubu's only problem is his attitude but you wont find many quality strikers that havent got some sort of attitude problem tbh.

Yes it is annoying that we arent finishing these games off but dont forget we are playing without a handful of 1st team players in each game and even some of the ones that are playing arent fully fit and up to match sharpness. I bet most of the players havent really played too many games together but it will come.

Vagner Love is a player that can play on his own up front and is lively and certainly knows where the goal is for me i think when he played in the europa league he scored goals against top teams aswell as premier league teams. Im not saying he is the be all and end all but as Davey said strikers cost big money and unless we sell a few to make the money up we are reliant on Davey to pull another rabbit.... I think im just sick of seeing us dominating teams but not finishing them. Even just on recent drawn games we would have pissed europe

No thanks on Love. If we're going for a class striker I want Darren Bent. He's been fantastic at Sunderland, would love to see what he could do playing with our midfield. Other than that, sign up Pienaar and Donovan and I'll be made up...even if we do play a shitty pre-season.

i've always said i think we missed out on bent when royle was at ipswich... if i remember rightly we had the opportunity back then for 1.5 or something.

either way, he's out of our price range now and Love Yak would make for an excellent song

Yeah we did, Royle knew that Bent was leaving at the end of the season and informed Efc that he was available and would be a good signing, Davey told Royle that "i'll decide who i sign" and needless to say it didnt come off.

Davey signed Marcus instead of Darren, one of Dithering Daveys bad decisions.

Davey signed Marcus instead of Darren, one of Dithering Daveys bad decisions.

I remember within days of each other Dean Ashton went to Norwich for £3m and James Beattie came to us for £6m - Ashton banged them in for Norwich and they sold him on for a big profit, whereas James Beattie... well! :blink:

im sure its not as black and white as you are all making out...beattie and bent both did a good job for us and we paid less than half a mill for marcus whereas darren went for 3 mill. not that much nowadays but we had fuck all so maybe that was too much cos i dont remember many big signings that year...and as for ashton how injury prone do you want your players? as proven by his early retirement..

also when i have seen vagner love he has looked excellent im sure he scored a couple against arsenal right? looks better than jo was/is anyways

Edited by marcopaulo