IGNORED

Un-inspiring Everton? - No

Hi Guys,

Derby County fan here, so consider this a random, neutral view....

I have to admit that Everton have always been one of those teams that never caught my imagination as a layman.

You know the drill, you fancy a casual watch of football on TV and check what's on, "Fulham vs Birmingham".... no thanks. Everton used to fall into that bracket for me. Not any more.

There I was, yesterday, hungover and looking for diversion. I slept through most of Reading vs Villa and then thought I'd give your match a go.

Blimey. I know it was Hull (Awful), but you guys ripped them to shreds. Apart from the pre half-time wobble, the attacking football being played was superb and as good as, if not better than, anything I've seen all season. If Yakuba was firing properly, you may even have got to double figures, it was that comprehensive a performance.

Obviously great results against Chelsea and Man Utd, but I'd say it was yesterday when I really sat up and took notice of Everton. Arteta was great (his wife is stunning), Heiteger was solid and Donovan seemed very useful. However, the two players that really caught my eye were Pienaar and Neville. More shocks, as I never really understood what Pienaar was for and, as you know, most people automatically dimiss Neville as the grey man. Neville's performance was one of the tidiest I've seen in a long time from a full back, he never seems to waste the ball. Very impressive.

Taking all into account, Moyes has to be one of the best managers that the game has seen in years.

I know you've had issues with injuries and a shocking start to the season, but how have your performances compared to yesterday? Was it a flash-in-the-pan one-off? Or is this how your side is developing? If it is a sign of things to come, then it must be good to be an Everton supporter.

At the risk of starting to sound like a gushing Bill Kenwright (remember that?), I'll end with a thank you for diluting my hangover misery somewhat and good luck wishes for your push for fourth place. Tough objective but you never know.

I await your next TV appearance with interest!

Remember, Derby County, so I do have some recent Premiership Pedigree.......

DG

Well that made me smile :).

Our performances have mostly been like that for the past couple of months, barring a few nightmare performances (Spurs, Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool, Birmingham), and we've mixed it with the best - we beat Man U and Chelsea with a lot more ease than I think any of us would have expected and we deserved the three points against Arsenal where we played some very good football. We're capable of playing that sort of football week in week out, but sometimes we resort to hoofing the ball and missing the midfield out and also we often struggle to break sides down and kill teams off.

All in all, our football is improving (it's about time tbh).

Appreciate you taking the time out to post that DG.....nice one :) .

Stark contrast to an abject performance at Hull about three and a half months ago after which we were level with them on points and only had one win in ten :( .

'Asked if his team was too good to go down, Moyes was far from bullish. "I dont know," he said.'

Hi Guys,

Derby County fan here, so consider this a random, neutral view....

I have to admit that Everton have always been one of those teams that never caught my imagination as a layman.

You know the drill, you fancy a casual watch of football on TV and check what's on, "Fulham vs Birmingham".... no thanks. Everton used to fall into that bracket for me. Not any more.

There I was, yesterday, hungover and looking for diversion. I slept through most of Reading vs Villa and then thought I'd give your match a go.

Blimey. I know it was Hull (Awful), but you guys ripped them to shreds. Apart from the pre half-time wobble, the attacking football being played was superb and as good as, if not better than, anything I've seen all season. If Yakuba was firing properly, you may even have got to double figures, it was that comprehensive a performance.

Obviously great results against Chelsea and Man Utd, but I'd say it was yesterday when I really sat up and took notice of Everton. Arteta was great (his wife is stunning), Heiteger was solid and Donovan seemed very useful. However, the two players that really caught my eye were Pienaar and Neville. More shocks, as I never really understood what Pienaar was for and, as you know, most people automatically dimiss Neville as the grey man. Neville's performance was one of the tidiest I've seen in a long time from a full back, he never seems to waste the ball. Very impressive.

Taking all into account, Moyes has to be one of the best managers that the game has seen in years.

I know you've had issues with injuries and a shocking start to the season, but how have your performances compared to yesterday? Was it a flash-in-the-pan one-off? Or is this how your side is developing? If it is a sign of things to come, then it must be good to be an Everton supporter.

At the risk of starting to sound like a gushing Bill Kenwright (remember that?), I'll end with a thank you for diluting my hangover misery somewhat and good luck wishes for your push for fourth place. Tough objective but you never know.

I await your next TV appearance with interest!

Remember, Derby County, so I do have some recent Premiership Pedigree.......

DG

You was going along great until you mention our right back. A full back normally tackles a winger and not stand off him. He is our major weak link and the sooner he gets out of the side the better for us

You was going along great until you mention our right back. A full back normally tackles a winger and not stand off him. He is our major weak link and the sooner he gets out of the side the better for us

disagree...great leader and a good player to have on the pitch.

all in all though, we played some lovely football against united and beat them, arsenal we played quite well too. against city is the performance that stands out for me though, totally ran the show (fellaini in particular). when we have pienaar and arteta in the same side we generally play good football, arteta's the main difference i think really, he comes deep and stops as much hoofing.

disagree...great leader and a good player to have on the pitch.

all in all though, we played some lovely football against united and beat them, arsenal we played quite well too. against city is the performance that stands out for me though, totally ran the show (fellaini in particular). when we have pienaar and arteta in the same side we generally play good football, arteta's the main difference i think really, he comes deep and stops as much hoofing.

Do you know what a leader does? It certainly isnt what Neville does. He is 1 of the worst players in recent memory to pull the Royal Blue on and its a disgrace to past capts that he wears the armband

Do you know what a leader does? It certainly isnt what Neville does. He is 1 of the worst players in recent memory to pull the Royal Blue on and its a disgrace to past capts that he wears the armband

You're mad. Neville is loads better than Hibbert, VDM, Jo, Castillo, Neill and those have just been with us in the last 2 years. Get a clue. Neville obviously knows how to lead out boys despite not being the best footballer; look at the difference in our form with Nev out vs with him on the pitch, he makes an impact.

You're mad. Neville is loads better than Hibbert, VDM, Jo, Castillo, Neill and those have just been with us in the last 2 years. Get a clue. Neville obviously knows how to lead out boys despite not being the best footballer; look at the difference in our form with Nev out vs with him on the pitch, he makes an impact.

Utter utter rubbish. He brings nothing to the table both as a footballer or as a so called leader

Really? You really think that? You may need to get your head checked. Sure he's not a great player, but no one has ever said that. The fact is that he is a great leader, motivator and to some extent an organizer. Our play when he was injured was formless and actually worse than it was at the very beginning of the season. As soon as he was back, we started playing with shape again and a more drive and will.

Utter utter rubbish. He brings nothing to the table both as a footballer or as a so called leader

Total wind-up merchant.

Phil Neville is a fantastic leader, as stated by every Everton player in every interview they are asked about him, and in a good few in which they are not asked.

Edited by Grarghsies

Really? You really think that? You may need to get your head checked. Sure he's not a great player, but no one has ever said that. The fact is that he is a great leader, motivator and to some extent an organizer. Our play when he was injured was formless and actually worse than it was at the very beginning of the season. As soon as he was back, we started playing with shape again and a more drive and will.

Our play when he was injured was because virtually every player was playing out of position. Cahill on left wing, Hibbo at left back...etc etc. It was when Pienaar came back we looked a team again.

Of course Nevilles leadership were in full display for the Liverpool and Chelsea goals!

what he made a mistake against chelsea?!??! get rid of him then!!! also he didn't out jump kuyt to stop that goal when howard went running off for a brew whilst they scored! you're just trying to do a milky now and annoy everyone...best captain we have had since dave watson for me!!

Doesnt tackle,

Backs off too much

Is useless waste of space.

You do know a capt is supposed to lead by example dont you? You know like Waggy? A capt isnt someone who can just point and give the occasional boring soundbite (Which neville loves!) in the press.

A capt should be 1 of the 1st names on the teamsheet, Neville would be lucky to get in our squad never mind the 1st team

what about saving a certain goal with rooney then against united when it was 1-1? im sure he tackled then :blink:

when he came off the subs bench against burnley after coming back from injury we were playing terrible and then he came on calmed everyone down and we ended up winning 2-0...that's what a captain does he just puts confidence into people and proved it that day with just a half hour on the pitch! i think you just want a steven gerrad who will hit a 30 yarder in the last minute when we really need it...not everyone has one!

what about saving a certain goal with rooney then against united when it was 1-1? im sure he tackled then :blink:

when he came off the subs bench against burnley after coming back from injury we were playing terrible and then he came on calmed everyone down and we ended up winning 2-0...that's what a captain does he just puts confidence into people and proved it that day with just a half hour on the pitch! i think you just want a steven gerrad who will hit a 30 yarder in the last minute when we really need it...not everyone has one!

Lol your funny mate.

Dont remember Waggy ever hitting a 30yder, yet i would take him in a heart beat. Majority of our Capts have been defenders, Waggy, Goughy, Weir, Labone.

These are all players who offered something to the team as a whole and not be the weakest link in the side. Neville only gets in because of the armband he wears and not on skill.

Doesnt tackle,

Backs off too much

You do know a capt is supposed to lead by example dont you? You know like Waggy? A capt isnt someone who can just point and give the occasional boring soundbite (Which neville loves!) in the press.

A capt should be 1 of the 1st names on the teamsheet, Neville would be lucky to get in our squad never mind the 1st team

Lol I think you are the only waste of space around here

Lol your funny mate.

Dont remember Waggy ever hitting a 30yder, yet i would take him in a heart beat. Majority of our Capts have been defenders, Waggy, Goughy, Weir, Labone.

These are all players who offered something to the team as a whole and not be the weakest link in the side. Neville only gets in because of the armband he wears and not on skill.

What!.....How the hell could you leave out our most successful captain, and yes another defender....Ratcliffe!

Let's be honest, Neville is helped in his quest for a first team place mainly due to the fact that his competition is Hibbert and a inexperienced Colman.

Imagine we had a fully fit right back in brilliant form and all our midfielders were also fit and on form...Neville is really going to struggle to get a game.

No one is saying that Phil Neville is a great player, he's getting games because of cicumstance, he's probably as good a captain as any present Everton player in the squad

and that's obviously in his favour.

I don't think any member of this forum is trying to make a case for Neville being thought of as one of our more important/better players.....but it's an insult to Neville to call him a "useless waste of space", he's not our best, but he's not a useless waste

of space.

What!.....How the hell could you leave out our most successful captain, and yes another defender....Ratcliffe!

Let's be honest, Neville is helped in his quest for a first team place mainly due to the fact that his competition is Hibbert and a inexperienced Colman.

Imagine we had a fully fit right back in brilliant form and all our midfielders were also fit and on form...Neville is really going to struggle to get a game.

No one is saying that Phil Neville is a great player, he's getting games because of cicumstance, he's probably as good a captain as any present Everton player in the squad

and that's obviously in his favour.

I don't think any member of this forum is trying to make a case for Neville being thought of as one of our more important/better players.....but it's an insult to Neville to call him a "useless waste of space", he's not our best, but he's not a useless waste

of space.

Its actually a compliment to call him a footballer, he is that bad. He is a disgrace to the shirt and an embarrassment to past captains. People get easily convinced by the fact he has won a couple of medals at United (not a major influence in any of there medals) and because of the lovely (if boring, tedious and predictable is what you call lovely) soundbites he makes in the media.

Where it matters most, on the pitch, he is the weakest link. To coin Anne Robinson, Neville you are the weakest link, now do one

Ok!....You seem to hate Neville! and his ex Man Utd background...typical red

You hate little Ossie, product of Evertons youth system....typical red.

You didn't mention Ratcliffe as a past captain...the most successful Everton captain...and hated most by...reds.

You/milky couldn't bear to mention Moyes getting 4th spot.....red!

You/milky seem to like winding people up for no reason....red.

You/milky moan about a quiet forum!

You/milky.....run back to rafa, and his sinking ship!

Ok!....You seem to hate Neville! and his ex Man Utd background...typical red

You hate little Ossie, product of Evertons youth system....typical red.

You didn't mention Ratcliffe as a past captain...the most successful Everton captain...and hated most by...reds.

You/milky couldn't bear to mention Moyes getting 4th spot.....red!

You/milky seem to like winding people up for no reason....red.

You/milky moan about a quiet forum!

You/milky.....run back to rafa, and his sinking ship!

I hate Neville because he is an embarrassment to the club

Never once said i hate Ossie, i said he is a saleable assest who IF was sold would not damage the 1st team too much, can you deny that?

Never mentioned loads of Capts lad, what the hell does that prove?

As for the rest your talking out where the sun dont shine, i mentioned it was a quiet forum because people were actually posting and as a new member i have noticed it isnt the busiest forum in the world then a admin decides to call time on it for no other reason than he doesnt like it.

Been to more Everton games than you have had hot dinners lad, so run away and hide behind mommy

ok. to sum up, Pip isnt a great player but he is a very good leader, this is the general view of everyone except the headcase. I personally think he is too slow and too defensive minded but i dont doubt his commitment and ive come to accept that we are a better squad with him, playing or not. He always gives 100%. Like you tried to argue against Ossie (which i ignored because your reply was again stupid) that any player can give 100%. This is completely true. One difference for Pip and Ossie - they DO give 100%, as do most of the squad. Potential and actual, 2 very different things.

I think people forget that the games after he first got injured back in september, we won the next 5 games, scored 14 goals and conceeded 1 before we started to fall apart (which was around the time when Peanuts got injured). in fact, we only won 1 game (shaky performance at BATE) after that and for 7 games were in free fall until Nev came back. it was Pienaar we were missing on the pitch not Pip. BUT. Pip was on the sidelines like a second manager, shouting and instructing as if he was on the pitch, trying to get the patchwork team to work together. Things couldve been even worse without his influence, they certainly wouldnt have been better if he wasnt there.

To say Pip doesnt tackle is also stupid (im seeing a theme in your opinions here, going to have to get a theasaurus soon to find another word that fits so well). What about THAT tackle, which some say sparked the team into climbing up the league to get 5th? 1 thing ive always admired about him is that he is fearless and never backs out of a challenge.

Backs off too much? Will give you that one but i personally think its him being aware lack of pace and not knowing how to deal with it. This would fall under the "we know he isnt the greatest player part". Guess what, no player is perfect.

Useless waste of space? Errrr, no. there are better players for RB in the league but not in our team. To write him off like that is again stupid.

Im going to quote myself here, something i said to Milky when he was spouting crap and moaning when people had a go at him, not respecting his opinion blah blah fuckin blah:

"I was failed on so many exams because i gave my opinion when i asked. Truth is, opinions are only worth anything when theyre backed up, something i know i didnt do because i couldnt be arsed revising or doing my homework. Something youre also not doing, or if you are, youre not doing a good job of explaining yourself... "

offensive, shortsighted and down right stupid i think i said to your last pile of tripe? I stand by it....

ok. to sum up, Pip isnt a great player but he is a very good leader, this is the general view of everyone except the headcase. I personally think he is too slow and too defensive minded but i dont doubt his commitment and ive come to accept that we are a better squad with him, playing or not. He always gives 100%. Like you tried to argue against Ossie (which i ignored because your reply was again stupid) that any player can give 100%. This is completely true. One difference for Pip and Ossie - they DO give 100%, as do most of the squad. Potential and actual, 2 very different things.

I think people forget that the games after he first got injured back in september, we won the next 5 games, scored 14 goals and conceeded 1 before we started to fall apart (which was around the time when Peanuts got injured). in fact, we only won 1 game (shaky performance at BATE) after that and for 7 games were in free fall until Nev came back. it was Pienaar we were missing on the pitch not Pip. BUT. Pip was on the sidelines like a second manager, shouting and instructing as if he was on the pitch, trying to get the patchwork team to work together. Things couldve been even worse without his influence, they certainly wouldnt have been better if he wasnt there.

To say Pip doesnt tackle is also stupid (im seeing a theme in your opinions here, going to have to get a theasaurus soon to find another word that fits so well). What about THAT tackle, which some say sparked the team into climbing up the league to get 5th? 1 thing ive always admired about him is that he is fearless and never backs out of a challenge.

Backs off too much? Will give you that one but i personally think its him being aware lack of pace and not knowing how to deal with it. This would fall under the "we know he isnt the greatest player part". Guess what, no player is perfect.

Useless waste of space? Errrr, no. there are better players for RB in the league but not in our team. To write him off like that is again stupid.

Im going to quote myself here, something i said to Milky when he was spouting crap and moaning when people had a go at him, not respecting his opinion blah blah fuckin blah:

"I was failed on so many exams because i gave my opinion when i asked. Truth is, opinions are only worth anything when theyre backed up, something i know i didnt do because i couldnt be arsed revising or doing my homework. Something youre also not doing, or if you are, youre not doing a good job of explaining yourself... "

offensive, shortsighted and down right stupid i think i said to your last pile of tripe? I stand by it....

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! So many holes in this post, where to start.

1) A great leader - You really need to define this and also look up the word leader as you dont seem to understand it. As for only head cases not knowing this, then there must be plenty of Everton head cases about then! People who are NOT taken in by the tedious daily media soundbites coming out of his boring monotonous voice.

2) Giving 100% - I challenge you to find any in our squad who dont give there all to the cause, with that being the case, highlighting this for 2 particular players doesnt hold any sway.

3) Pienaar - So your agreeing with me? As for Neville being the 2nd manager, behave yourself. You cant prove this b/s and thats exactly what it is...bull! Its just another ludricous arguement from a Neville sympthasiser, do we not need Round anymore? Has Super Nev with no coaching experience taken his role over? Are you on something?

4) Pips Tackling - Can we please stop talking about 1 tackle, after the whistle was blown by the way. You watch any game you choose and he backs off and backs off and lets the player get a cross in. His tackling and his defending are easily the worst element.

5) Useless waste of space - I will stand by that, he offers nothing to the side as a footballer (something which can actually be seen as opposed to the fictional leadership you like to offer). As a defender, Hibbo is a much better tackler rarely gets beaten and going forward young Coleman has the legs and energy on Neville. So take your pick of Coleman or Hibbo, its not Neville!

6) Opinions - I have backed everything up with FACTS, you have simply spouted the same rubbish Neville lovers have been talking about since he joined, change the record!

6) Opinions - I have backed everything up with FACTS, you have simply spouted the same rubbish Neville lovers have been talking about since he joined, change the record!

I struggle to find any facts in your posts, unlees you call the following stuff facts

Doesnt tackle,

Backs off too much

I hate Neville because he is an embarrassment to the club

Been to more Everton games than you have had hot dinners lad