IGNORED

Summer Signings

I dont know if I'm missing the context of the original question here but if we were looking to maximise profit for the good of team building then although I love Cahill and think he is one of the most important members of our squad I think he would be the man I would sacrafice.

Consider selling Cahill and with the money purchasing Fernandes & putting the other 4mil (ish) with the Beattie money towards a 20 goals a season man to play next to johnson I would say we wouldnt be weakening the midfield just loosing a goal threat. When you think we will be adding a new goal threat up front then I dont think it would be a mojor loss. Of course that would rely on getting 10-12 mil for Cahill and paying a realistic 6-8 for Fernandes and we could be looking at bringing in another 8million pound striker!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if I'm missing the context of the original question here but if we were looking to maximise profit for the good of team building then although I love Cahill and think he is one of the most important members of our squad I think he would be the man I would sacrafice.

Consider selling Cahill and with the money purchasing Fernandes & putting the other 4mil (ish) with the Beattie money towards a 20 goals a season man to play next to johnson I would say we wouldnt be weakening the midfield just loosing a goal threat. When you think we will be adding a new goal threat up front then I dont think it would be a mojor loss. Of course that would rely on getting 10-12 mil for Cahill and paying a realistic 6-8 for Fernandes and we could be looking at bringing in another 8million pound striker!

This discussion is just going round in circles. SO I say lets sell Cahill. You are right. Great idea!

I know. we cant offored to be letting anyone go really as we have such a small squad. I could live with losing beats and VDM and then affter that we neew to bring in rather than sell You dont let your best players go unless they actually want to leave your club. We need to take cahill Aj arteta lesscot yobo howard nevile and fernandes for that matter(must buy) and hold on to them now with everythink we have got and and to them as we go along.

OUT

VDM

Beats

IN

nugent

fernandes

(a mid) ??barton?? ... sorry mac

(a left back)??baines??

(a winger)??etherington??

also cahill and arteta on contract extensions

..... Lets have it..... first time we will of had a proper a squad in i dont know how long??

You dont like open discussion / debate do you??

Anything but agreeing with your opinion results in sarcasm or leaving the conversation!

Glad you think we're right :speak_cool:

The discussion is going round in circles because people (and me included) are giving our opinions but you have made your mind up that you are right and everything that is contrary to your opinion is wrong. Any debate is killed because you come back with the same argument each time, adding nothing new. It appears that the debate wont stop until everyone is convinced you are correct.

I do like debate if it has substance and goes somewhere, this "debate" while initially an interesting hypothetical question has gone on a bit too long.

As for "Glad you think we're right". "WE"? That would be you and maybe one other person. As for the other 6 or so who disagree, what do we know?.

So we both have our own opinions and we obviously disagree on this particular subject. OK?. End of.

The discussion is going round in circles because people (and me included) are giving our opinions but you have made your mind up that you are right and everything that is contrary to your opinion is wrong. Any debate is killed because you come back with the same argument each time, adding nothing new. It appears that the debate wont stop until everyone is convinced you are correct.

I do like debate if it has substance and goes somewhere, this "debate" while initially an interesting hypothetical question has gone on a bit too long.

As for "Glad you think we're right". "WE"? That would be you and maybe one other person. As for the other 6 or so who disagree, what do we know?.

So we both have our own opinions and we obviously disagree on this particular subject. OK?. End of.

Prior to the post you quoted my involvement in this thread was to ask you a question which I never received an answer to. I then read StevO's post and tried to clarify exactly were he was comming from & then posted my opinion for the first time (post 61 of this thread at the top of page 4) and came back to find you had thrown your toys out the pram because my opinion differed from yours.

My sarcastic reply was due to you responding to my opinion like a little child my use of the word "we're" was a result of Zed & Mac (possibly some others) stating they would cash in on Cahill FOR THE GOOD OF TEAM BUILDING & my assumption that although you directed your little hissy fit at me it was proberbly a result of previous posters disagreeing with you and not necissarily me.

As for me stating you dont seem to enjoy discussions / debates that was down to the fact that twice I have seen people disagree with your opinion, here & in the Andora - England thread and both times you have got IMO a bit shirty because you dont like what other people think.

Telling me I have made my mind up that I am right is a realy bad judgement of me. I am very opinionated and disagree with many posters over various subjects but I'm sure Mike, Bill, Mac, Zed and various others I have disagreed with in the past will tell you that I will put forward my points strongly but allways reach a balance when all is said and done (apart from with the red shite).

Food for thought in future too, agreeing to disagree with someone after taking the piss out of them in your first paragraph and finishing your post with "End of" is extreamly disrespectful.

Liam xxx

PS. For all this "discussion" I still believe you havent quite grasped my point in this or the Andora - England thread & believe if you spent your time asking me a few questions to clarify my perspective rather than loosing your rag you would see that I do infact largly agree with you I am just comming from another angle with my opinion!!

selling a goal threat to bring in a new goal threat isnt moving forward. why try and fix something that isnt broken, Cahill scores alot of vital goals for us even if he has been out for alot of this season, theres no point in removing a vital player to bring in a player who will take time to get used to our style.. that's if it even eventually happens. plus next year Anichebe and Vaughan will be better players plus we can play a 4-5-1 strat which we do so effectively, Andy Johnson has the pace and the ability to be a lone striker and we can then have an extremely appealing Midfield with Arteta Cahill and Fernandes (with the BT and VDM money). also anyone who says that a 4-5-1 strat is second rate or whatever i say bull**** doesent matter if you beat a team using 4-5-1 or using 4-4-2 you still get the points.

Edited by Ash_

I'm getting fustrated explaining where I'm comming from here but I'll try and put it across simply,

Sell Yobo & we would need to sell another player to have the available funds to replace him & add to the Beattie money for a striker, thats 2 players lost and a weakened defence.

Sell Cahill & you get Fernandes who will do a better job as a midfielder but score less goals, however the money raised from the cahill sale would leave us with the same defence a solid (if non scoring) midfield & hopefully a potent strike force!

It's all about personall preference but I believe the latter would be the more productive but a harder pill to swollow. I also believe that would be more along a managers choice if he had to sell to buy, how often have we seen a club hero being sold because he raises the most capitol??

We could have had a similar discussion regarding Rooney however his sale has left the club on a decent financiall footing and freed up transfare cash every year since which we never had before his transfare.

I'm backing out of this now because I realy dont care its a hypothetical question and I'v given my opinion based on what I'd do in the situation not what I would like to see happen as a fan.

Well, I dont know about the hissy fit thing. Actually having a bit of a giggle here at all this.

As to your question, I presume you mean the following; (should Yobo leave)

"So hypothetically speaking you would choose to leave a huge gap in defence to be filled by Stubbs (who lets be honest is going to fade away next season and is beeing offered a contract as cover & experience on the training pitch) rather than sacrafice one of our over crowded midfield????"

Well, actually NO I wouldnt CHOOSE to leave a hole there. HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING, Moyes would get cover in over the summer (and reasonably cheap) Plus a hypothetical youngster will come through next season.

Youre probably right though about getting you mixed up with someone else (I think ruffrob). So soz about that.

Still I think there were a few over reactions, not just from me.

By the way, I'm not sure we have an over-crowded midfield. We have a small squad and you need cover otherwise you get in big trouble when injuries occur. And if we get into Europe and want to do well we are going to need a bigger squad than we have. Not to mention the competition for places with better players around.

Edited by Maghull70

Maghull said ......""By the way, I'm not sure we have an over-crowded midfield. We have a small squad and you need cover otherwise you get in big trouble when injuries occur.""

With Cahill, Arteta, and Fernandes (if we get him) we also have Osman Neville, McFaddy and Carsley, who can all play midfield, they may not be the worlds best but could fill any injury gaps if needed. We do have an overcrowded Midfield cos at the moment we have good midfielders having to play wide because we havent got a winger on the books.

Not having a go here, i'm just pointing out what some people seem to forget, we will never get the best out of our squad if the manager continues to play players out of position. Yobo at RB, Lescott at LB, Neville anywhere and everywhere, Ateta RW, LW, and Centre, Osman and Mcfaddy have been tried on both wings.

My target at the end of season would be a wide left footer, a left back and a right back. The Striker position is not Desperate with Vaughan, Annichebe, Johnson and McFaddy at a push.

So my definate outs in the summer would be Beattie, Van der Plonky, and Pistone, No great loss to the Squad, would get them off the wage bill, and may even bring in a few bob to put towards the transfer funds.

Lets concentrate on getting the Balance of the team right first, and then look at how we perform before we decide to sell anyone, although its only Hypothetical. ;)

Bill.

im with you on the winger side bill, our midfield hasnt got the balance with out a lefty.

im not too concerned by the RB position, i like Hibbert, i think he can do a good enough job, id rather spend the money on our midfield. i agree we could do with a LB, but i've heard nothing but good things about young paddy boyle.

Liam, dont get too stressed mate, its not that serious

I'm in on the winger theory too but who do you get in? I'v always been a massive fan of Damien Duff but he just hasnt done it since he was at Blckburn having said that I suppose price wise that could mean he was quite affordable.

As for right back with Pip capable & Joey as possible cover I realy dont see the problem Tony Hibbert is one of the best defensive full backs in the leage its just going forward where he lacks massivly but thats not a major issue in my mind. Left back is an area that worrys me, I think its time Moyes got his finger out of his arse & played Paddy Boyle to see if he's got it. Imagin a situation where we could sell Nace to rangers & Pistone to anyone leaving us with an international & a hungry kid fighting for left back!

I dont have a massive issue with utilising Arteta on the right either if we buy a good central midfielder because at the moment I think Arteta has his better games out wide.

Priorities for the summer from my perspective are Left wing, ball winning & playing midfielder (Fernandes looks like he'd fit the bill) & a good striker.

We also need to blood Boyle & Vidarsson to see if they have what it takes.

Outs for my are Wright, Beattie, Pistone & possibly Naysmith.

i hate seing the name baines thrown around, overrated.

and it suprises me to see liam talking about selling cahill, somethin i said at the start of the season that i was criticised and gang raped for suggesting

I never said I'd sell Cahill, my hours of trying to explain myself obviously wasted :rolleyes:

What I said is should we have to "sacrafice" a player for the good of team building then Cahill would be the most logical choice from our current squad as he would draw the most funds while midfield is our most populated area!

I DO NOT WANT TO SELL CAHILL!!

I don't think Liam WANTS to sell TC, he is just resigned to the fact he MAY go. Especially if we get a fucking fortune for him.

ATB

Mac

Not even that Mac, I can't even believe I got involved in this I was just trying to give my opinion on If Moyes had to sell a player for the sake of squad building in the summer I believe Cahill would be the most likely candidate as he would bring in the most cash. I was thinking too that we could possibly get Fernandes for half of what we rake in form Cahill's sale so we wouldnt be that bad off if we also brought in a solid partner for AJ!

I am officially never responding to hyopthetical questions ever again this had been hard fookin work :blink:

He can go electrocute himself on the dodgey wireing in Mike's shed for all I care you bunch of twots <_<

:P

Now that was uncalled for...and really quite hurtful :crying: .

If (hypothetically) TC ever cared to visit my shed he'd be perfectly safe...a little bored perhaps but quite safe B) .

• 2 weeks later...