IGNORED

Aj Signs 5 Year Contract

Reports the other day was that he was going to sign a new deal as wanted to be paid the same sort of money as Yak, Cahill and Arteta.

Can't see if being for any other reason but still a 5 year deal is good news unless they put in a release cause in there

I was also shocked by it. he signed a five year deal last year. If the rumours of increased wage are true then it's disgusting, if it's true AJ has effectively said to the club pay me x amount or I'm going to West Ham.

No club would ask a player to sign a new contract to quash transfer rumours. It's terrible spin from the official site. What has most likely happened is that AJ has had his wages upped to match Cahill and Arteta i.e. 10k a week increase, £2million more than he would have had by the end of the original deal ending in 2011. Bad business.

It makes no sense to me to tie a player down who's main asset is pace until he turns 32.

Personally, I'm disapointed by it...

Im with Mike and Louis on this.

Im all for our best players signing new long term contracts but he had 4 years left anyway so what was the rush? Like Louis said it basically looks like AJ said pay me what the highest earners get or I'll fuck off. I love AJ but he doesnt need a new contract and he hasn't earned that massive pay rise just yet.

He will come back fitter and faster than he's ever been, he's now had two operations ( Groin and Ankle) to clear up the Injuries he was carrying last season, i'm glad he's signed.

Wages will always cause probs if individuals are paid diferent salaries for doing the same job, it should be a one price salary across the Squad, i think Lescott deserves to be the highest earner, but i'll bet he's not.

Bit weird to hear this because I never expected it, A.J is no money grabber, he loves the club and the fans and I couldnt see him leaving other than to get first team football if Vaughan and Yak keep him out and Im sure he will be back to his best when he returns.

like any modern footballer, he doesn't love the club he loves the wage slips he gets from the club...this news has reaffirmed that. If he loved the club he wouldn't need more money to convince him to stay would he?

He will come back fitter and faster than he's ever been, he's now had two operations ( Groin and Ankle) to clear up the Injuries he was carrying last season, i'm glad he's signed.

Wages will always cause probs if individuals are paid diferent salaries for doing the same job, it should be a one price salary across the Squad, i think Lescott deserves to be the highest earner, but i'll bet he's not.

will he though bill? i don't think he's looked too sharp now for almost a year, seems a different player, his pace doesn't seem what it was...to me anyway

i'm hoping now with cahill back aj will pick up the form early last season. i don't want him running the channels as much, he's seemed to be lacking confidence for too long, i think he works a bit too hard aswell, which seems a strange thing to say, but sometimes near the end when he should run at defenders n try and take them on he just looks exhausted, i think he's got to pick and choose a bit more. with a 5 man mid possibly hopefully he won't have to go as wide as much and can focus on making them penetrating runs through the middle

the only problem with that is that I'm sure in the Summer/end of last season I kept hearing how AJ was having an operation to sort out his long standing ankle problem and that he'd come back flying, yet he came back looking exactly the same - who's to say he won't come back exactly the same player again? Yes he looked a lot better up front on his own, as then his workrate and energy was vital, but as others have pointed out - no way does he deserve a pay rise on his current Everton record. It just looks like we're trying to put an end to the speculation linking him with West Ham etc, but I think it's an unnecessary move.

What AJ has just said...

Signing a new five year contract with Everton is a real honour and I am thrilled to have committed my future to this club.

This is a massive football club, and it feels fantastic to know that they want me to be part of their future. The chairman, the manager, the fans and all my team-mates have been great to me, so pledging the next five years to Everton was something I was more than happy to do.

As a squad we are all very close. The team spirit at Goodison Park is exceptional. We have such a tight unit, and it’s brilliant to be a part of it. I can’t wait to enjoy further good times with this bunch of players.

I think the club is doing a superb job at making progress. They strengthened our squad with the signings of quality players like Yakubu, Leighton Baines and Steven Pienaar which showed real ambition, and the results are now showing on the pitch. The team is doing ever so well, and I can see plenty of success coming our way in the years to come.

My first season with Everton was a dream year, and although the second season has been hampered by injuries so far, I believe it will carry on in the same vein. Both me, and my family are very settled in the north-west and I very much feel at home on the pitch with my team-mates too.

I’ve been unfortunate with injuries in recent months but I’m pleased to say that my ankle has improved greatly, and I’m back in training now. I should be fully fit and available for selection pretty soon. And when I am I can’t wait to start scoring more goals for Everton.

hopefully he doesn't do what he did after signing a new contract with Palace.

Contracts don't mean much apart from increased pay for the player, doesn't benefit the club unless they can wangle the conditions to be better for them in some way or if the player has little time left on the contract.

He signed the contract at Palace to do them a favour. If they'd got back up he would have stayed there but there was no guarantee of that so he signed the contract to guarantee them a good fee for when/if he left

I can understand all the fuss, but let me play devils advocate here, an new contract does not necessarily mean he will be here in 5 years time. Modern contracts have little to do with a players commitment to a club or even vice versa. Still has a great deal to prove in my book.

C'mon AJ, we are waiting.

ATB

Mac

I can understand all the fuss, but let me play devils advocate here, an new contract does not necessarily mean he will be here in 5 years time. Modern contracts have little to do with a players commitment to a club or even vice versa. Still has a great deal to prove in my book.

C'mon AJ, we are waiting.

ATB

Mac

I agree he has a little to prove for us but without a doubt he is the type of player we can build a team with, my only fear is, as he gets older and his pace suffers what kind of player will he be then?