IGNORED

Standard Liege (2nd Leg Away)

EFCfanatic

That from the Everton site? I'm talking about the interview on CH. 5. He looked like a man who had reached the end of the line.

Didn't see that Mark...turned the TV off after that laughable last minute corner. Got it on the Sky+ though....I'll have a look.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like your club is set to come into a lot more money soon then. Do you have the players as good to replace them when they leave? Will you spend the money on replacements or just bank it?

Problem WAS the squad is stretched. Now we're in the group stages, we can ask players to put club before money (with incentives, them bastards) for a while and line up replacements for the summer. It is thus very likely Defour, Witsel, Mbokani, Camozzato and Jova will stay with us through May, but they have nothing more to learn in this league and will leave. Sad, but that's how it is - you should watch a "normal" Belgian game to understand, it would send you down to the doctor's for antidepressants). But unless we make the CL group stages for 2 or 3 seasons in a row and decently compete and hence incite the players to remain at the club, we have no hope of keeping our best players. The thing is we have an excellent academy, "unfortunately" sell the absolutely best for top money and keep those who will star in the domestic league and hopefully develop before we make a profit. But we have prospective Walcotts and Llalanas, all things being equal.

Problem WAS the squad is stretched. Now we're in the group stages, we can ask players to put club before money (with incentives, them bastards) for a while and line up replacements for the summer. It is thus very likely Defour, Witsel, Mbokani, Camozzato and Jova will stay with us through May, but they have nothing more to learn in this league and will leave. Sad, but that's how it is - you should watch a "normal" Belgian game to understand, it would send you down to the doctor's for antidepressants). But unless we make the CL group stages for 2 or 3 seasons in a row and decently compete and hence incite the players to remain at the club, we have no hope of keeping our best players. The thing is we have an excellent academy, "unfortunately" sell the absolutely best for top money and keep those who will star in the domestic league and hopefully develop before we make a profit. But we have prospective Walcotts and Llalanas, all things being equal.

So you do have players already at the club who could step into their shoes so to speak? Your club is going to get very rich if that's the case.

Goreux (17) had an extremely promising last third of the season and Mulemo was at the Olympics, but will they be up to it come August?

Bölöni seems to say we have extremely promising youngsters and I firmly believe he knows what he's talksing about. Thing is we have to keep the ones on the pitch before the ones waiting in the wings can take their bow. It takes a while to build a French-Dutch style academy. But that is what we're heading for. Sell the absolute best, reinvest the dosh, keep the ones you absolutely nedd and progress and - dreams allowed - comes a day where you can keep your Giggs and Scholes because you have secured enough money to pay thair salaries on other players' expense.

Edited by FromBelgium

Well, there's a new League coming. similar to CL, but for lower teams. If this gets more revenues for the clubs, it won't be so bad, and more teams will be on it.

And selling your youngsters can only get you so far. we've sold alot, and only now we're starting to get our head above the waterline.

Boloni is great for that, he can really bring out the quality on young players, and gets them mature very fast.

Means we have to build over and over again. Belgian clubs have no sugar daddies like English clubs have.

BTW, heard DM's interview on the BBC website. What a feckin' bad looser he is. Must make him a good manager. I'd hate losing as well, but he should admit defeat in style. Whinges on the ref, etc. My apologies to him for the weather.

Well as we all are am gutted but i have to say welldone to Liege who where far more tactically aware and prepared then ourselves. I do believe the Everton team of last season would have beaten Liege quite convincingly over the two legs. I really think if AJ was still in our ranks with his pace and work ethic he's have played a massive part in our campaign. Who's got a tranny van so we can arrange to kidnap Carsley back ;)

even tho we lost we played well for alot of the game, looked lively attacking but just didnt convert most of our chances. defence let us down again imo, the defenders are too slow getting back. they wait for the player to come to them. up front our defenders and midfielders look more of a threat than the attackers. artetas set pieces were terrible.

need to beat newcastle at weekend, and get our season back on track,

if we dont win and we keep losing or drawing i think it will be down hill from there, moyes might leave. in january our top players leave.

Didn't see that Mark...turned the TV off after that laughable last minute corner. Got it on the Sky+ though....I'll have a look.

Mike, Channel 5 normally repeat the games in full, when interviewed Moyes looked as though he was about to burst into tears, he was a broken man. Much as it goes against the grain I do think it is time to take him into the yard, he has not delivered, does not look like he is going to deliver and is holding out for as much as he can get................something has to give.

His derby record is poor, his record against the so called big four is abysmal and as for cup runs, lets not go there. We have won European qualification under him going out at the first hurdle twice. I sincerely thank him for getting us organised, shedding the old guard and for moving us forward but I now think it is as far as he can go

what pisses me off about this the most is why do we get drawn against the toughest teams?? look at all the teams in the premier league, they all made through to the group stage because they played weaker teams than liege, and yet we finish 5th and have to play the toughest competition, its just not fair :angry:

and the same goes for getting drawn against blackburn in the league cup..... knowing our luck we'll probably get drawn against man utd for the fa cup :angry::angry::angry:

what pisses me off about this the most is why do we get drawn against the toughest teams?? look at all the teams in the premier league, they all made through to the group stage because they played weaker teams than liege, and yet we finish 5th and have to play the toughest competition, its just not fair :angry:

and the same goes for getting drawn against blackburn in the league cup..... knowing our luck we'll probably get drawn against man utd for the fa cup :angry::angry::angry:

Thank you for us champions to have to play the 4th of the prem and not qualifying outright. And even against you, we weren't seeded.

Back to the game: Moyes complaining because Defour was not sent off for complaining to the ref makes me lol. Has he never watched Match of the Day where players (sometimes including his own) get out of jail after scything? Didn't he ever go mad because an EFC got sent off for dangerous play? Come on Dave...

Edited by FromBelgium

Thank you for us champions to have to play the 4th of the prem and not qualifying outright. And even against you, we weren't seeded.

Back to the game: Moyes complaining because Defour was not sent off for complaining to the ref makes me lol. Has he never watched Match of the Day where players (sometimes including his own) get out of jail after scything? Didn't he ever go mad because an EFC got sent off for dangerous play? Come on Dave...

yeah i totally agree with you. you being champions of a league should not have to play a side like liverpool, its injustice, then when you just missed out making champions league they shouldnt have given us to you, we both should have got weaker sides and both qualified for europe....

i didnt see the match. any special highlights anybody wants to share?

We have played dirty Leeds, Man C, the lot across the road, the Arse (that 0-7 home defeat still hurts), but you're the 1st English club we've got past in our history. Thank you guys ;)

Remember this is all good-humoured banter and I really look forward to visiting Goodison come mid-October, early November. What are the home fixtures? How do I sort a ticket out? A London game would do as well.

Edited by FromBelgium

One thing this game has shown me is how little I care about the derby these days. I was more interested in the F1 qualifiers than the derby. It means so little to me now. I didn't feel any disappointment about losing to the shite what so ever, but this result has destroyed me.

I'm gutted lost for words even. All I can do is wish the other English clubs in UEFA the best of luck and hope that our league form takes a turn for the better.

Edited by EvilG

Price tags (press speculation - conservative estimates): Defour, € 8 m - Witsel, € 9 m - Jova, € 11 m - Mbokani, € 16 m, Dante & Camozzato - € 6 m

Defour 8m ??? He is worth a lot more than that going by the performances against us and the red shite. Personally I always thought he was the better buy out of him and fellaini.

Standard are a very good team who have a tenth of our budget, but it just shows how an efficient organised team that plays to their strengths can be successful. Moyes just needs to do the same to us, dont keep playing players because of WHO they are and play the guys who will give their everything.

I know this sounds a bit crazy but a couple of our big names could do with dropping for a couple of games to give them the kick up the arse they need ie arteta,yakubu for a start!!!

David Moyes Speaks With evertonfc.com

David Moyes has vowed to rebuild Everton's season after the bitter disappointment of an early exit from Europe. A 2-1 defeat to Standard Liege in Belgium has consigned the Blues to a 4-3 aggregate exit from the Uefa Cup at the first round stage. The Goodison chief was frustrated by the referee and the fact his side couldn't turn their possession into clear-cut openings against a well-organised Liege side. But he has pledged to put the Blues back on track - and has reassured fans his future remains with Everton despite speculation over his new contract.

He said: "(The targets now are) to try and kick on and do as well as we have done in the previous seasons.

"They (the fans) have known for a long time (that I'm staying). I've had some bad ones (starts to the season) and this one hasn't been great but this is football and it's my job. You can't expect to have a good year, you have to earn the right and play well.

"The players played very well tonight, we did very well up to 25 yards out and then it was hard to get through them and that would be the only bit I could fault them for."

The manager was also surprised that Liege skipper Steven Defour was not dismissed early in the contest for a very animated gesture to the referee.

More From DM

Moyes added: "You can’t run up to a referee and do that in his face. I don’t know if it is different rules in Europe. I thought he should have been sent off for that and then to not be sent off for the professional foul on Yakubu was unbelievable."

Instead, Liege kept 11 men on the field and, after taking the lead through Axel Witsel in the opening half, a penalty from Milan Jovanovic late in the contest dampened Everton's hopes of securing a famous result following Phil Jagielka's equaliser.

Moyes added: "It probably looks a penalty kick, but it didn’t make much difference because we needed to score anyway.

"I am more disappointed about the decisions earlier in the game because that would have been a big factor. I felt a bit let down there."

Disgrace. I bet English Fans get the blame again, we always get seen as the enemy whenever there is troble. Remember Manchester United when they went over to Rome against AS Roma? For some reason those fans were to blame when they were blatenly being beaten by the authoraties.

Feel annoyed at the Belgian Fans but it's not all of them, just the minority again. Take FromBelgium for example, sound guy and I'm sure would never dream of causing this trouble. It's the minority that ruin what could have been a good night for Everton & Liege.

But a Merseyside police spokeswoman today said their Belgian counterparts claimed he was injured after falling onto broken glass. They said the fan told paramedics he had “fallen on a broken bottle” before the game.

<_<

Hi from Liege

Was a very good day yesterday especially after the game for us :)

Hope that you toffees ll come again in Liege for your revenge, you know how to do party. You 've put the ambiance into the town.

And who know if you 've some pictures with two belgians guys send me it, took near the celtic :)

One more word THE BEST WON but good luck in Premier League

Hi from Liege

Was a very good day yesterday especially after the game for us :)

Hope that you toffees ll come again in Liege for your revenge, you know how to do party. You 've put the ambiance into the town.

And who know if you 've some pictures with two belgians guys send me it, took near the celtic :)

One more word THE BEST WON but good luck in Premier League

Thanks for that Belgium. Good game of football from your side. You can go far in the competition IMO. Keep Defour on your team and you'll achieve great things. Good Luck in UEFA mate.

Disgrace. I bet English Fans get the blame again, we always get seen as the enemy whenever there is troble. Remember Manchester United when they went over to Rome against AS Roma? For some reason those fans were to blame when they were blatenly being beaten by the authoraties.

Feel annoyed at the Belgian Fans but it's not all of them, just the minority again. Take FromBelgium for example, sound guy and I'm sure would never dream of causing this trouble. It's the minority that ruin what could have been a good night for Everton & Liege.

<_<

I appreciate and I hope we enjoy a pint soon. It's only a game and it should be enjoyed as such, however passionate we may be at times.

I come in peace :)