IGNORED

West Ham. (away)

Bill

Everyone likes to have their team playing good, atractive football, but let me tell you something, beautiful isn't equivalent of effective.

A few years back, Sporting played beautifully. atractive football, high pace, offensive. It was a joy to watch. On that season, we we knocked out on our National Cup by benfica after a sick game. 2-2 at 90 minutes, 3-3 after extra time, and 7-6 on penalties, for a total of 10-9. It was a match worthy of a final, but alas, it was a semi-final, and we lost it. 2 game to go on our league, we're 1st place, and play benfica, behind us by 2 points. we loose the game, and the leadership. Mid week we play the UEFA cup final, in our own stadium, and we loose 3-1 to CSKA. Last game of the league, we again loose, and with it loose the 2nd place, and a direct qualification to next season's CL.

We played the best football we had since about 4-5 years, and ended up winning nothing...

My point is simple, good atractive football doesn't always win games, and doesn't win silverware. Regularity does. And luck plays an important part as well.

So don't simply ditch 3 points because it was luck, and you didn't play as you think you've should. a win is a win, and at the end, when the math is done, all that matters are the points...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the middle of writing a strongly worded letter to the FA to ask that we have the last 3 wins removed from the record and the points handed over to the opposition!!! That should be enough then for people to really have a whinge, because we'll be where we deserve to be then!!!

Come on lads. We've played shit, beat West Ham and scored 3 in the process. How many of the Shite fans were kicking off when they were getting all the luck early doors!

I honestly believe that confidence is a big ingredient in a teams performance. We were low on confidence and as a consequence we were getting bummed left right and centre. We've grabbed a few wins, confidence should be on the rise, and so hopefully will our performances!

good sides will win matches if they play shite! we were shit and lucky but we still won. performances will come with the confidence and the fact is we keep going for 90 minutes. if you do that always a chance playing shite or not. we got a bit of luck and its about time its comin our way if you ask me. the performances will come saha isnt even fit yet but is getting better all time now as are the rest. as soon as we got the full team playin we can start the passin game instead of lumpin it up. for now though be happy we won and are 3 points behind united!

I can see fair points in most people comments and my opinion is in the middle of those, As much as i want us to win and take the points i also want us to play well and win. I know there has been plenty of times when we have played and been the better team and come away with a draw or nothing so wins like this i'll take thankfully but we where playing WestHam lads a team who have lost a few on the bounce and are hardly a great team and lack confidence yet they outplayed us all over the park today.

If that game was against a team high in confidence or a better team we would have been 2 or 3 down at half time with no way back, I know confidence is a big part of any team and we may not be 100% in that department but i cant see it majorly changing are style or how we play.

Hopefully we can get back to playing some good football and maybe in Jan one or two buys may make a big difference if we have any dosh that is :rolleyes:

good sides will win matches if they play shite! we were shit and lucky but we still won. performances will come with the confidence and the fact is we keep going for 90 minutes.

I know were you're coming from but that would apply to the better teams who are going for the league and will occasionally have a bad day but will still come away with a win cos they have so many players on the pitch or subs bench who just need one attempt. With us we're lacking quality and don't really have enough match winners to carry it on. We've not played a decent full game since the last game of last season against Newcastle

UNBELIEVEABLE in the true sense of the word.

They are NOT happy on the hammers boards! Don't like the fact they put is the same bracket of shit teams as west brom, bolton and boro though :/. Where better than that aren't we?

We're 7th and haven't even come close to hitting any sort of form. COYB

Edited by EFCfanatic

How do you work that out???

how do you think I worked that out, I watched the game and Yobo and Neville just hoofed it long all game, they both had terrible positioning, if you were impressed with them today then theres alot more to come, we were shite today apart from the last part of the game, if it wasnt Vaughan coming on and Saha turning up the quality then we wouldnt have won, our midfield were shite today, yet another poor performance from cahill, fellaini looks twice the player of him, he needs to have more influence on the game so does arteta, its obvious u shouldn't need me to tell you anyway so I wont go on about it, we need midfielders as soon as who are not scared on the ball, like fernandes was and like fellaini is now.

well im not bein funny mate but what would you prefer us to outplay west ham and get fuck all or play shite and nick the win i know what id rather!! the performances will come im sure its just a confidence thing put it this way if we had gone 1 down at the beginning of the season dya really think we would have brought it back like we did i doubt it very much

I agree with you completely about the points being more important than the performances right now but you have completelt missed my point.

If you read all of my comments I was merely defending Yobo and Neville. I watched the game and neither of them poot a foot wrong for the entire 90 minutes.

I was agreeing that it was a wretched performance BY THE TEAM and that I couldnt see why those 2 players were being singled out

Im just sick of people slagging off Neville purely because he used to play for Man U

how do you think I worked that out, I watched the game and Yobo and Neville just hoofed it long all game, they both had terrible positioning, if you were impressed with them today then theres alot more to come, we were shite today apart from the last part of the game, if it wasnt Vaughan coming on and Saha turning up the quality then we wouldnt have won, our midfield were shite today, yet another poor performance from cahill, fellaini looks twice the player of him, he needs to have more influence on the game so does arteta, its obvious u shouldn't need me to tell you anyway so I wont go on about it, we need midfielders as soon as who are not scared on the ball, like fernandes was and like fellaini is now.

So Lescott and Jags werent hoofing the ball up???????

Unfortunately thats the type of shite that THE TEAM is playing at the moment so I dont see how you can single out Neville and Yobo.

I agree with the rest of what your saying but then that backs up my point anyway, that it was a poor TEAM performance

We were absolutely diabolical for 70 minutes, but the bottom line is we won, again. We have played rubbish all season, we haven't got the right balance yet, a fair few players are way out of form and low on confidence and yet we're only 2 points behind Villa in 5th place, it just shows what a good team Moyes has built when even when we're playing at 30% of our capacity we're still the 7th best team in the league and above Man City. We were in the hunt for 4th last season until the last few games when we ran out of legs, that won't happen this year due to getting knocked out of the cups so in reality I'd expect us to finish the season as strong as anyone. If we can just keep this going, try and get some confidence going and improve performances (I think the goal will transform Lescott's season) then I see no reason why we can't challenge the top 4/5 again. Sounded like Anichebe had a fairly decent game yesterday, I'd like to see he or Vaughan get some starts now. The most important thing is our defence is back working again, that's where our success has been built by Moyes and it's only correct that Moyes gets back to basics and concentrates on keeping out the goals rather than playing nice football. Performances will come. All those people criticising Moyes for our start to the season are now starting to look a little foolish, especially when saying we should bring in Alan Irvine to replace him (Preston are 14th). Performances are undoubtedly dreadful, but we're winning and that's the important thing.

I understand your point mate but as someone has already said scrapping wins will only take you so far, we may be in a similer position to last season but if we play like we did yesterday against stronger teams we wont have chance to get back into games we played a very average Wham also Bolton and Fulham are weak teams dont get me wrong am chuffed as fuck we have the points and i'll take a win as greatfully as anyone but like i said we can only get so far if we continue to play as we are.

Moyes deserved his critics at the start of the season as a team who have consistantly proved to be the 5th best team in this league played some of the shittest football i have ever seen with a total lack of confidence from the outset, We should have started the season as we finished the previous there was no need for a lack of confidence to start with and its the managers job to instill those things into his players.

I can see us getting it together and playing good football in the coming months i was just concerned with how outplayed we where by a very poor Wham team.

I understand your point mate but as someone has already said scrapping wins will only take you so far...

Took us to fourth in 2005 :) .

Our current situation can be (and is being) taken one of two ways.....

Christ we're playing shit, thank god we're scraping a few points or we'd be looking at a relegation struggle...

....or...

Christ we're playing shit, third of the way through the season and we're only three points off the Champs League places :o . Real chance for an excellent finish if we can start playing.

Depends on whether you're a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kinda guy which side you're on.

I don't really think that those couple of wins against Bolton and Fulham will have filled the players with new found confidence!....Yes they got us 6 points which is great, but the performances, both individualy and as a team wont really have got them thinking, we can have a great season the way we are playing........BUT another win, three goals away from home, without the new lad and the creative Pienaar can only help!

This is a crazy premiership this season!......Check out some of those results today! Wouldn't surprise me one bit if West Ham won their next game 3-0.

Villa lost at home to Middlesborough :o ......Man City lost again and so on.Yesterday if Moyes is to be believed Arteta was ill just before the game, Cahill has a foot problem....we were without Pienaar and Fellaini plus good old Yak and doesn't Osman still have an injury problem?

NOW...If all that is to be believed, is it any wonder West Ham played the better football!

Clean sheet next week at home to Borough, and a few goals from, well anyone will do.Then the confidence will start flowing back.