IGNORED

Football On An Easter Sunday..

Louis

The rev. at the church near Villa Park has requested the fixture be moved because he doesn't believe Football should be played on Easter Sunday.

He may have a point seeing as Villa and Everton were both founded by a church and to some people it's on a par with Christmas day.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rev. at the church near Villa Park has requested the fixture be moved because he doesn't believe Football should be played on Easter Sunday.

He may have a point seeing as Villa and Everton were both founded by a church and to some people it's on a par with Christmas day.

couldn't disagree more .. all these cult proceedings (easter etc) have little meaning today in my opinion .. besides shouldn't be allowed to play football on saturday then either seeing how a day of silence and prayer which commemorates the dead Christ in the tomb shouldn't be celebrated by chanting and yelling..

plus, it's probably not that relevant today who founded a club 100+ years ago.

In the christian calander, Easter Sunday is the holiest day of the year.

The fact that Everton were founded by a reverand should carry weight, but even if it doesn't there is also the church in the corner of the stadium to consider. Easter Sunday in there would be disrupted by a load of footy fans the other side of the wall.

Besides in these times I think a little bit of compassion for others is more important than ever.

I do not think football should be played on Easter Sunday. No matter where in the country it is happening.

If we were a muslim country can you imagine the uproar if we played a game on their holiest day of the year?

couldn't disagree more .. all these cult proceedings (easter etc) have little meaning today in my opinion .. besides shouldn't be allowed to play football on saturday then either seeing how a day of silence and prayer which commemorates the dead Christ in the tomb shouldn't be celebrated by chanting and yelling..

Easter is hardly a "cult" holiday. It's celebrated by billions of people in the western world, Christians and non-Christians alike. Even the ones who aren't religious still get into the secular fun of it with things like egg decorating and baskets of goodies and family get-togethers. Even if I weren't religious, it would still have plenty of meaning to me just for all the memories of time spent re-united with family over the years.

That said, I do agree with you that it shouldn't affect the sporting calendar. Even in the United States, which is a more churchgoing country than the UK, Easter has never affected our sporting calendar for at least as far back as I can remember. This year on Easter Sunday they'll be playing a full slate of 15 pro baseball games, 7 NBA basketball games, a couple of NHL hockey games, AND the final round of The Masters. Basically, among the sports that anyone cares about, only NASCAR is taking Easter Sunday off - for every other league it's business as usual.

You're an idiot.

In my opinion football on Easter Sunday should be compulsory, just like football on Boxing and New Years day. Even for the non-Christians here, these days are family days, and what better way to bring a family together than to go to a game, or sit around the box and watch your favourite team. I think we should write to Gordon Brown and try to lobby for some legislation on this matter.

You're an idiot.

Why? It's a valid opinion. Would have been a bit more constructive to offer yours. Try this next time...

"I think you're an idiot because......." would be just about acceptable though, "I disagree with you because......" would be even better.

I would not have worded it that way but I agree with what you are trying to say.

In the christian calander, Easter Sunday is the holiest day of the year.

The fact that Everton were founded by a reverand should carry weight, but even if it doesn't there is also the church in the corner of the stadium to consider. Easter Sunday in there would be disrupted by a load of footy fans the other side of the wall.

You do realize we are playing at Villa Park and not Goodison dont you?

Religion.....go to your place of worship (church), and pray!

Football....go to your place of worship (Goodison, or an away stadium), and pray!

You can leave either, thinking Gods on your side......or not as the case may be!

Wasn't there an idea touted that one or two games of the premership were to be played in the US or other countries?In the end teams will play where and when thay are told.....for the correct price.

It's intersting that almost all the first football clubs all have highly religous backgrounds. In fact most orgasnied sport was first initiated by the church, this was actually because the church believed that these sporting activities would tire the young boys put and dimish there sexual urges. Basucally football started to become a orgaised sport in the 1880's because a load of priests wanted to stip teenagers wanking!!!

David Winner wrote a fantastic book on the original orgins of organise football called Those Feet. Great read for anyone interested in history and football. I love both so loved this book. He also wrote a book called Brilliant Orange which is about his love of dutch football, again a great read.

Both Villa and Everton were founded by Methodist based religions. Like us the football at Villa sprang from the church cricket teams wish to keep fit during the winter. The churches promoted football as it helped keep the young men of their parishes from the evil drink, temperance being popular at that time. For many years matches wee played on Good Friday and Easter Monday, this tradition lasted longer than not playing on Christmas day, we often played games on Christmas day back in the pre=war period.

I often wonder if those who like to attack Christians for their beliefs would have the moral fiber to attack Islamic worshipers if they lived in say Iran, they'd soon have a sudden change of tune. It is also incredible that so many will be scared by tales of ghosts, spiritualism and the like yet at the same time have no belief in a God............................and according to my wife I'm no Christian.

Let those who do believe, believe

Incidentally the best read on the link between churches and teams in this country is 'Thank God for football' by Peter Lupson...................if you like your history its a really good read

Why? It's a valid opinion. Would have been a bit more constructive to offer yours. Try this next time...

"I think you're an idiot because......." would be just about acceptable though, "I disagree with you because......" would be even better.

Well I do have an opinion, but I chose against voicing it; simply because it would have opened up, or added to, a messy old religious can of worms. If you must know why I called holystove and idiot, it was because they chose to use the phrase "cult proceedings". Which, in my mind, was just an attempt at shit-stirring.

However, having said all that, I notice he/she has apologised and I actually really admire that. Therefore, I hope they can accept my genuine apology for calling them an idiot :)

The rest of you, though, are all still idiots!! :lol:

Football was played on Christmas day up until 1957 unless it fell on a Sunday (often Boxing day as well, the return games against the same opposition).

Funny that Sunday footie was outlawed until 1974 when it was initially entry by programme only to get around the trading laws....it didn't reach Northern Ireland (where the church is obviously more powerful) until September last year!

Nice picture Taxi :lol:

Religion really do get in the way of things. There's a lot more people that will want to go to the football than will want to go into the church and have a prayer for an hour. For me the game should go ahead, and games should continue being played on Easter Sunday should the FA see fit.

And besides if there is a God he's going to be managing us against Villa won't he? B)

Football was played on Christmas day up until 1957 unless it fell on a Sunday (often Boxing day as well, the return games against the same opposition).

Never knew that! I guess the players families wern't too pleased about it all ;)

Edited by dark

All league footy should be at 3pm on a Saturday!!

Never going to revert back to that I know, but at least then, when the league fixtures came out at the beginning of the season you could (weather permitting!) plan ahead.

Now the TV companies call the tune and often change matches to a Sunday or a Monday seemingly at will, and your kick off time can be anything from 12:15 to 20:00. When you have travel long distances just for the home games it can be a right pain in the backside.

You do realize we are playing at Villa Park and not Goodison dont you?

Well yes I do realise that THIS YEAR we are playing away.

But my thoughts on the matter still stand.

I do not want to appear contentious on this. I am merely voicing my own honest opinion and feelings in the matter.

I can not see football being played in an Islamic country on their holiest day of the year. No I do not attend church, nor am I particularly religeous. But I do try to respect the beliefs of the folks who still do believe fervently in Christ.

I also don't mind those who disagree with me. We all have beliefs and opinions. I just think we should be respectful.

Well yes I do realise that THIS YEAR we are playing away.

But my thoughts on the matter still stand.

I do not want to appear contentious on this. I am merely voicing my own honest opinion and feelings in the matter.

I can not see football being played in an Islamic country on their holiest day of the year. No I do not attend church, nor am I particularly religeous. But I do try to respect the beliefs of the folks who still do believe fervently in Christ.

I also don't mind those who disagree with me. We all have beliefs and opinions. I just think we should be respectful.

So we shouldn't do football on eastersunday out of respect for religious people? :huh:

Can't see how anyone experiences any discomfort from it. If people don't want to go to football because it's easter sunday, then they can choose to do so.