IGNORED

Michael Owen

Lots of rumours about Owen coming to Goodison. Even that he is booked for a medical next week.

Any views on us moving AJ on at 12M and then spending about 7-8 on Owen ?? Prob will get more goals than AJ and seems to be over his injury problems whereas AJ had a lot of injuries last year and never got back on track after Metallist. In his first year he did well but maybe we could be getting top price for him if we sold at 12M ??

Personally don't want to see him go but seems to be a lot of momentum to the Owen IN stories and the AJ OUTones

Jason

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look at owens goal scoring record, AJ doesnt put a scratch on owens.

Owen is a far better player than AJ. I bet owen scored more than AJ last season.

Only problem i see with owen is his wages, but if he is up for a pay cut then bye andy and hello michael.

In principal I wouldn't mind Owen, but a few things concern me. Firstly his wages would be a joke and could really damage the clubs wage structure. Secondly his fitness, the money we would spend on his trnasfer and wages would most likely become very costly in regards to the amount of gameplay he will actually manage to get.

Owen would reperesent a financial risk becasue we could not lay out so much money on someone who could very well miss at least half the season with injury. Sure his goal scoring record is impressive but he is definatly past his best, anyone at the last game of the season could see that, so for me at this moment in time, with our finincial situaition and need for a strong squad AJ is a better option than Owen. But thats just my opinion, I have been a fan of Owen in the past and in an ideal world it would be nice to see him in an Everton shirt but i just feel that it would be a foolish move.

Saying that though i don't see any truth in this story and can't ever see it happening.

But AJ's shit. Sell him for 12, get Owen in for 7 or 8, 4 or 5 million left over to go towards the other positions that need filling (right back, central/defensive midfield).

Vaughan, Yak, Owen, Anichebe sounds alright to me.

But AJ's shit. Sell him for 12, get Owen in for 7 or 8, 4 or 5 million left over to go towards the other positions that need filling (right back, central/defensive midfield).

Vaughan, Yak, Owen, Anichebe sounds alright to me.

I like it, 100% agree with that. Owen slightly past his prime is twice the player AJ ever was, ok he has his injury problems and would be a gamble (then again it's not as if AJ has been injury free) but when he plays he scores. Everyone writes him off time and again, says how he isn't the player he used to be, how he shouldn't play for England, every time he comes back and scores goals for fun. His record at international level is phenomenal too. If we get £12m for AJ I'd be smiling from ear to ear, get Owen for £7-8m and we're laughing. Spend the other £4-5m on another taller striker in the Santa-Cruz mould to increase the numbers so we can ship out Anichebe on loan. We don't need AJ, he's a waste of time and we need to cash in quick.

The thing is though that if we get Owen in at say 8m we will probably end up spending the same amount, if not more on wages, if he accepts a pay cut he will probably still want at least 80k a week, at least! Newcastle have already spent the same amount on wages that they spent on his transfer fee they paid for him. 8m may seem like a snip for the player you are getting but we could probably buy a decent player for the amount we would spend on his wage bill.

I also think that there is a better opition out there than owen for the money we would spend

Wages would have a massive part to play on what i said. I reckon we're going to have to start paying out players a bit more anyway so if Owen were to take a drop in wages then i stand by my comment.

What does he get at Newcastle currently?

However if there is a striker out there who we can get for 8 million with a goal scoring record like Owens then i'm all for that too.

To be honest i'm open to looking at anyone at the moment!!!!! What about that Beattie lad from Shef United? :confused02:

obviously it does depend on his wage demands and he will have to take a significant drop, but maybe he'll be willing to do it to move back nearer his family and play for his boyhood club, he must know his career is starting to near it's end. I'd like to see him in the blue of Everton, he's a quality player and would also give us a bit of profile and help shift some merchandise. I wouldn't spend crazy money on him, but I'd certainly swap him for AJ and some profit.

Think that's right. 2 years at very most. How much do you think we could warrent spending on him for wages? And who is our top earner at the moment? I know AJ is on 40k, i guess it would be Timmy, Spud and Yak all up there at about 50-55k. I would be willing to let 60k a week on owen but doubt that he would accept almost a half in his salary.

He would be a risk and we can't afford to pay someone who isn;t going to get the games cough VDM cough

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say no, but feel that he is a luxery we couldn't afford at the current time. I agree with Aaron that a new striker will probably be needed to add more dimensions to the squad and to help us compete.

However I would prefer a cheaper (especially in wages demands) option and then spend big on a creative force in the centre of the park.