IGNORED

Michael Owen

we do need him.

simple as we have yak - quality

saha - quality but could be injured alot of the timevaughn - i jsut dont see it with him anymore, i used to believe but now he looks like a decent championship player

vic - nowhere near prem quality.

Owen is injured more often than Saha IMO. It is just that Saha has had more serious injuries which have kept him out for longer periods, Owen picks up niggles too easily and the one thing I did admire about him was his pace, this is no longer a factor with the little gobshite. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I can't stand the twit.

ATB

Mac

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen is injured more often than Saha IMO. It is just that Saha has had more serious injuries which have kept him out for longer periods, Owen picks up niggles too easily and the one thing I did admire about him was his pace, this is no longer a factor with the little gobshite. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I can't stand the twit.

ATB

Mac

Me to :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=191385

He is already being payed ridiculous amounts of money from Newcastle, how much would we have to shed out just to get him here. Then he'll get injured and we'll spend loads of money on a player who doesn't play for us, then he'll move on to another team who want to pay him a larger sum of money.

He was, before he went to Liverpool, an Everton supporter. Personally I think he'd be good for Everton and certainly a massive improvement on Johnson, though the question should be, can Everton afford to pay his wages? I do not think he will join Everton the club he supported as a kid his wage demand is too high ,but yes I do agree he would bring an attacking change to my team and if he stayed fit then we could be a force.

He was, before he went to Liverpool, an Everton supporter. Personally I think he'd be good for Everton and certainly a massive improvement on Johnson, though the question should be, can Everton afford to pay his wages? I do not think he will join Everton the club he supported as a kid his wage demand is too high ,but yes I do agree he would bring an attacking change to my team and if he stayed fit then we could be a force.

Most people thought bringing saha into the team would make us an attacking force. Him and Yakubu havent kicked a goal for a while now and dont even look like scoring. How do u know that owen wouldnt do the same if he came to Everton?

Edited by kurt321

Surely if hes an Everton fan then hed be up for taking a cut in his wages to play for the club he supprts/supported :lol::lol: i mean its not like he needs the money the amount hes earned over his playing carrer, i expect he's got enough money now to retire comfortably.. <_<

sorry but he will not do anything for a team other than hang in 6 yrd box, most players haven't got the gall to be as selfish as Owen and look at their team mates in the eye. Yeah, great player when he had pace to beat the defender, now he can't, he relies on people not picking him up. £100k a week!!! He has been the most overrated player for ages and Capello has seen it.

People seem to forget he insisted on taking penalties for the shite and he had the worst average. He missed 3 in 5 once. nah leave him for Spurs, expensive lazy selfish luxury... had his day and is still gettin well paid..

I think Everton should focus on getting moutinho. He would be a great addition to the team and if we wait too long a bigger club will get him. Downing would also be a great addition.

I would love Moutinho but cant see us making any significant signings until we have new owners. But I cant see what anyone sees in Downing he is an average Prem player at best and I cant see how he would be an improvement on Mikel or Stevie P so would be a waste of money IMO and as we are skint I would rather see us hire more catering staff in the Park End!!

I agree taht Owen would be a waste of money. A move to us would only benefit him, stupid money, close to home and wouldn't have to play much because he is not good enough for our first team. I would have took a punt on him when he returned from europe but has been nothing but a sicknote and distinctly average since, completely resting on his laurels. The Erikson/McLaren era has a lot to answer for. It has kep and put players in the the limelight who have no business in an England Squad. I mention this not only because of Owen, but also because Downing has been mentioned. Rated by McLaren, put in the England set up by McLaren, thousabds of brainless twits follow this train of thought and think he is something special. He is an average at best prem player that would be a star in the championship. He shone at 'Boro because they are and always have been shite. We have suffered the same in Owen in that McLaren etc. kept faith with a player that has declined significantly in all aspects of his game, hoping that all these minor injuries were a 'glitch'. This is what happens to players that are brought in to top level footbal too young and relied on. Won't be long until we start to see Rooney suffering the same fate. Give it 4-5 years. Will be languishing in memories of better days when he should be in his prime while other players the same age are peaking. These prodigies are great, but they are usually players who peak early in life and shine above the others around them, they peak and everyone else catches up.

Anyway, back on point, Owen, no way, not even if he was half the player he was. We simply do not need a striker. We do need a world class midfielder and possibly a right back. Midfielders, go for Lucho again, possibly Moutinho (although I think he is an expensive gamble) or M'bia. I still like Appiah, despite his injuries and on a free represents good value. Would love to see Lahm at right back. Has been the best RB in Europe for some time imo, and is vastly underated.

Ignoring for a moment that this is about Owen, I have a slant on transfers that you may disagree with.

We need a bigger squad. I know we REALLY need players in certain positions, but we do need a bigger squad all round.

Owen is not as good as he was and there are many who would not have had him when he was at his best due to his past history. However if we could sign someone like him, would it smooth the way for other players to join us?

Some positive points about him (the negative ones have already been mentioned):

1, he is English, and with the proposed cap on players from other nations playing for a club from EUFA and FIFA being bandied about, it could be a useful signing.

2, although he is past his best, he can still get a few goals, which frankly we do need.

OK I stand here ready to be shot down in flames, but they are positives of a sort.

Ignoring for a moment that this is about Owen, I have a slant on transfers that you may disagree with.

We need a bigger squad. I know we REALLY need players in certain positions, but we do need a bigger squad all round.

Owen is not as good as he was and there are many who would not have had him when he was at his best due to his past history. However if we could sign someone like him, would it smooth the way for other players to join us?

1, he is English, and with the proposed cap on players from other nations playing for a club from EUFA and FIFA being bandied about, it could be a useful signing.

2, although he is past his best, he can still get a few goals, which frankly we do need.

OK I stand here ready to be shot down in flames, but they are positives of a sort.

i dont think anyone would disagree we need a bigger club but the money just isnt there, unfortunately were going to have to struggle trough with F all players until our youth players shine through and we can start selling to buy, or get bought by some new owners...

I dont think your points are invalid, but we dont really need another english player, we have enough to field a full english squad, and owen wouldnt add anything to our game, besides a few goals, but thast all there would be, and we have goalscorers they just arent getting fed...thast why we need a more creative midfield and a sturdier defense...if anything we should be focusing on brining in midfielders ofa high quality, playmakers who will earn big wages by providing us with lots of goalscoring oppourtunities

Replies to your points:

1: Yes he is English, but as far as I am aware, tha vast majority of planet earth plays football and there is plenty to choose from and at present there is no cap on players so a mute point.

2: Understatement, he is well past his best. No doubt he can get a few goal, when he is playing, but so could I. No disrespect to Owen personally, but a young player from our academy or from the lower leagues could fill the job of squad player and make just as valuable contribution with probably less chance of being sidelined. But we could have a number of these players to add to the squad for £100k per week. Surely that would be better.

I like your positivity, but I don't believe Owen is worth a punt. Nugent would be a better risk.

No offense BlueBri mate but the only plus to Nuggent on Owen is the fact he has a better injury record other then that Owen even far pst his best is a better player then Nuggent i know wages would be alot less but we would receive alot less in return, Im no fan of Owen far from it and i hope we never waste the money on bringing him here but David Nuggent has and always will be a piss poor striker in the EPL.

Edited by EFC-Paul

I'd take Heskey or Crouch over owen and Nuggent.Vaughan's been a bit injury prone, but I'd back him to be a better prospect than Owen or Nuggent.

I could see Heskey or Crouch working well with the Yak, or partnering Vaughan.

Vaughan and Anichebe are growing up together, in a couple of years time they could be our strike force.

Please not Owen.

No offense BlueBri mate but the only plus to Nuggent on Owen is the fact he has a better injury record other then that Owen even far pst his best is a better player then Nuggent i know wages would be alot less but we would receive alot less in return, Im no fan of Owen far from it and i hope we never waste the money on bringing him here but David Nuggent has and always will be a piss poor striker in the EPL.

Poor example to use Nugent. I agree he is not he man for us. I was merely trying to point out that he would be a better risk than Owen purely based on his wages etc. As you rightly say, they are on a par with regard to their relative plus and minuses, but in comparison for value for money, Nugent would represent better value. I am not suggesting he would be 'good' value. With regard to your comments about Nugents ability in the EPL, I don't think anybody could say with any authority whether he was any good as he has not been given a fair opportunity. This could be because Redknapp on reflection thinks he is crap, and is very likely, but it was a very expensive mistake if he really is that bad.

Poor example to use Nugent. I agree he is not he man for us. I was merely trying to point out that he would be a better risk than Owen purely based on his wages etc. As you rightly say, they are on a par with regard to their relative plus and minuses, but in comparison for value for money, Nugent would represent better value. I am not suggesting he would be 'good' value. With regard to your comments about Nugents ability in the EPL, I don't think anybody could say with any authority whether he was any good as he has not been given a fair opportunity. This could be because Redknapp on reflection thinks he is crap, and is very likely, but it was a very expensive mistake if he really is that bad.

Or it might be that he sent a picture to some girl on her mobile phone, exposing himself, that would'nt go down very well. ( no pun intended ) :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Reg Reagan

Read on the Daily Mail that we will be making a £2million bid for Micahel Owen.

Not a fan of Owen, very injury proned but he will be a welcome addition to our squad :)

Read on the Daily Mail that we will be making a £2million bid for Micahel Owen.

Not a fan of Owen, very injury proned but he will be a welcome addition to our squad :)

I think he is the best of the names being touted around (apart from Podolski!) I think I would prefer to see us get him

than Emile"fall over"Heskey.

True he may be injury prone but he would score more goals in 30 minutes football than Heskey would in 30 games

I would prefer Owen to Heskey, for obvious reason's. But feel that his wages will still be an issue, he would have to take a huge pay cut for us to be able to afford him, he is one of the leagues top earners and we simply can't afford to bank roll that, especially as at least 50% of the time he will be injured. Still though, it would be a bug name player and a moral boost for the squad. It won't happen though.