IGNORED

Michael Owen

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like Phil Neville would welcome Owen to the club.

Everton captain Phil Neville has admitted he would welcome the signing of Newcastle striker Michael Owen.

The pair played together for years for England and Neville still regards Owen as the best striker in the country.

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear has finally offered the 29-year-old a new contract but rumours have linked the striker with a move to Liverpool, Everton or Manchester City.

With Owen's contract set to expire at the end of the season Newcastle will be conscious of losing the player for free so a January sale could be on the cards.

Despite the speculation Neville confesses that it would be difficult to prise Owen away in the January transfer window.

"He's the best striker in England and you would welcome a striker like that in your club but he's a Newcastle player at the moment so it's just mere speculation," the former Manchester United man told Sky Sports News.

More

Guest efctaxi
In other words, "I'm leaving on a free, fuck the Geordies."

Can't see that happening . I expect to see him gone next month , though will be interesting to see what happens .

Can't see Newcastle not getting something back from him in the window if he won't sign .

He is contracted untill summer 2009 , so Newcastle could sell him in the Jan 09 window and recoup some funds couldn't they ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-20990482/

Newcastle could accept the bid but they can't force him to leave. If he wants to run his contract down then he will do, and there's jack shit Newcastle can do about it.

• 3 months later...

Exactly. If I had any faith in his ability to stay fit I would be all for this, but we don't have the money to waste on his wages while he sits on the bench for 90% of the season. Also I would point out that I don't think are football would suit his style of play. He needs good service in the box, and what we need is a good grafter who is going to get stuck in, if Owen got stuck in he would fall apart.

Think of it this way, world cup next summer, Owen will want to be apart of that, he will give it his all to be in that squad, so when he is playing he will be a genuine threat, will give it 110%. The shirt sellings on him will sell a fair bit as well

Think of it this way, world cup next summer, Owen will want to be apart of that, he will give it his all to be in that squad, so when he is playing he will be a genuine threat, will give it 110%. The shirt sellings on him will sell a fair bit as well

Really? Why?

Most fans do not hold him in high regard anymore, I would rather put Fellaini on my shirt.

A fully fit michael owen is still one of THE best finishers in the league and I personally would love THAT player at our club, however there are 3 main problems I would have with the transfer:

A - He will never have a fully fit season again as too many old injuries dont seem to have healed well enough

B - He would still attract some of the richer clubs outside of the top 4 ie man city,aston villa etc and will command at least 80k wages - no doubt well above our budget and what I would want us to pay

C - Our current best formation I still believe is 4-5-1 and owen would be no good playing as a lone striker, we have better options already - yak,saha,victor,vaughn.

I like the fact that we are being mentioned as a possible destination for a player of his quality and I think it shows the progress we have made under moyes, just remember some of our old strikers: cadamateri, mo johnston, jeffers etc

However I like the type of signings we have made in the last few seasons and personally hope that moyes sticks with that plan of young progressing players (not superstars but superstars in the making) ie cahill, arteta, jags, lescott, baines etc etc etc.

I say save the crazy wages we would have to pay and put all of that into a transfer fee and go for the likes of moutinho,van der vaart, deffour etc as those guys represent a lot better value for money.

Potential owen cost : £80k wages = £4mill a season x 3 year contract (min) = £12mill + 10% signing on fee of any potential transfer fee + whatever the agents fee - then the usual bonuses and add ons that all big name players seem to demand = OVER THE ODDS TRANSFER!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/97926

MICHAEL OWEN is set for an emotional return to Merseyside in the summer, with Everton primed to make him an offer to end his career at Goodison Park.

Owen is heading for Liverpool this weekend as Newcastle face another scrap for points in their fight to avoid relegation, but his return to the city where he became a hero at Anfield may be for the long term.

Newcastle’s temporary boss Alan Shearer, a former England team-mate, would love his star striker to agree a new deal on Tyneside. But Everton are ready to tempt Owen with a return to his home patch whether or not Newcastle survive in the Premier League.

The crucial factor is timing, with Owen’s Newcastle deal running down to its conclusion this summer. He announced in mid-winter that he would not seek a transfer in the January window but had no intention of signing a new contract for Newcastle until this season ended.

He also insisted his decision had nothing to do with money and claimed he would consider taking a pay cut – a statement that was seen as a carrot both to potential suitors and Newcastle.

I understand Everton will not match Owen’s current deal, worth more than £100,000 a week, but that would not necessarily be a problem for the player. He would almost certainly receive, in addition to his Everton contract, a handsome signing-on fee.

Everton are not cash-laden, and that is why a gamble on injury-plagued Owen is seen as a good bet.

Although he has lost pace and, in recent weeks, his trusty eye for goal, he remains a natural finisher of the highest order.

Everton, unlike Newcastle, boast a side with a good Premier League pedigree. Having such a striker would complement them, if they can keep Owen fit.

It is understood that if Everton follow up their interest, it would intrigue a player who was a fan of theirs as a boy.

Everton tried to sign Owen when Newcastle took him from Real Madrid four years ago and boss David Moyes spoke with him. But they could not compete with Newcastle’s £17million bid.

Now they could effectively get him on a Bosman free, although there may be competition from the considerably richer owners of Manchester City.

But Everton would suit Owen, who often relies on a helicopter when he commutes from his family base in Cheshire.

He would be back to his roots and to his boyhood favourites – the club where his father, Terry, spent some time as a player. And he would be close to the multi-million-pound racehorse facility he opened in 2007. Owen said earlier this campaign: “After speculation about my future at Newcastle, I have decided to make it clear I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season and have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time.

“I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not as being disloyal in any way.”

He added: “I am committed, along with the rest of the players, to ensure the club end the season on a high.”

Finishing on a high now for Newcastle would be fourth-bottom and an escape from relegation. Whether it is achieved or not, it may be Owen’s last effort for the Toon. ‘I won’t make a decision just yet’

Yes please.

Guest efctaxi

:unsure:

Just about the laziest striker in the league , and as fragile as a china tea pot .

Would rather have 1 Crouch than 2 Owens ;)

I reserve the right to be hypocritical should I change my mind :lol: