IGNORED

Transfer Disappointments Yet Again?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have turned down £20m from City for Lescott, £5m from Stoke for James Vaughan and £8m for Saha.

That's quite some lump of cash.

If we are turning down this kinda cash presumably either..

a) Moyes doesn't think the potential replacements are as good

B) there is no out there for the money

c) we have money for transfers

d) we are waiting for the deadline day in order to save wages

Surely we must have some money put aside for this window consider the cup run and other increases in revenue.

So we have turned down £20m from City for Lescott, £5m from Stoke for James Vaughan and £8m for Saha.

Surely we must have some money put aside for this window consider the cup run and other increases in revenue.

That'll be the right answer...stingey buggers aren't we lol

This.

I think we will have a little bit of money come in from the cup run, and we will have around £10m in total to spend. That's just a guess though. We will have extra sky money but we will have "future-borrowed" on that already and I reckon the banks will be tired of Bill coming cap in hand every summer now. £10m is the very most I can see us spending this summer, and thats being generous.

This.

I think we will have a little bit of money come in from the cup run, and we will have around £10m in total to spend. That's just a guess though. We will have extra sky money but we will have "future-borrowed" on that already and I reckon the banks will be tired of Bill coming cap in hand every summer now. £10m is the very most I can see us spending this summer, and thats being generous.

For me, our activity will have to be a couple of the following:

Blaise Matuidi - Young deep lying playmaker, with a crunching tackle (£4m)

Rasmus Elm - Young Swedish, (Berkamp-esque) player, technically very good, can play across the park (£6m)

Joe Ledly - Welsh international, very good Champ player, Left/Right winger, can he step up? (£5m)

Hassan Yebda - Tenacious mid who again is technically sound, lacks height but can play across the park (£3m)

Albin Abondo - French right back, not much is known (£3m)

Phillipe Senderos - Swiss international, potential to be v.good, worst kept secret and longest transfer saga so far (£6m)

Any two of the above would do nicely, personally i'd quite like 3 - Elm, Matuidi and SenderosRoughly £12m isnt bad for 3 young, talented players?

Edited by tenaciousj

He's bluffing ;) . It's all under control B) .

I hope so...for comfort i'm going to screen print this page, print off copy of your statement, them im going to hold on to it all night, cuddling it, rocking backward and forth, and pray. That you Mike, have saved my pre-season sanity :) no preassure :P

its just his way to cool our expectations...its understandable that to get a squad player who is good enough to be a 1st team regular, but not have big wage and transfer fees is difficult - they're not many of them. I'm beginning to accept that the season will kick off without any more signings, but we will make one or two before sept 1st (Senderos/yebda/albondo/hunt/ledly/ryan taylor?????)

its just his way to cool our expectations...its understandable that to get a squad player who is good enough to be a 1st team regular, but not have big wage and transfer fees is difficult - they're not many of them. I'm beginning to accept that the season will kick off without any more signings, but we will make one or two before sept 1st (Senderos/yebda/albondo/hunt/ledly/ryan taylor?????)

Lol trust me my expectations do not need any cooling down!

I don't reckon moyes is doing himself or the team any favours by coming out and saying "the squad isn't ready" a few days before the start of the season. He spent most of last summer sulking about his difficulties signing new players and it translated into a near-disastrous start to the campaign.

He knows as well as any of us what our financial situation is and how it puts us at a disadvantage in the transfer market - so why come out and say the same thing, year in, year out? On the one hand, we'll have to do what we've always done under him - make do with what we've got, and do a pretty damn good job of it at that. On the other hand, I'm not having it that Kyle Naughton and Fabian Delph are the only people available on the transfer market who fit both the Everton model and price bracket. If we needed a right-back, centre-back and wide midfielder, Roger Johnson signed for Birmingham for £5.9m, Sam Ricketts and Zat Knight signed for Bolton for not very much, Stephen Kelly signed for Fulham, Andrew Surman signed for Wolves and the young French forward Gabriel Obertan who United signed for £3.5m can operate on the wing as well. Were we not looking at any of these? (and before anyone says they're crap, Moyes himself has said what we need is additional bodies to add depth rather than superstars, and I think all of tehse fit the solid professional or promising youngster category we need).

Oh and as for Lescott handing in a transfer request - take £20m for him then, he's not irreplacable. For that we should be able to get Senderos, a utility full back and a decent wide player. Then we can stop moaning and get on with the season!

I don't reckon moyes is doing himself or the team any favours by coming out and saying "the squad isn't ready" a few days before the start of the season. He spent most of last summer sulking about his difficulties signing new players and it translated into a near-disastrous start to the campaign.

He knows as well as any of us what our financial situation is and how it puts us at a disadvantage in the transfer market - so why come out and say the same thing, year in, year out? On the one hand, we'll have to do what we've always done under him - make do with what we've got, and do a pretty damn good job of it at that. On the other hand, I'm not having it that Kyle Naughton and Fabian Delph are the only people available on the transfer market who fit both the Everton model and price bracket. If we needed a right-back, centre-back and wide midfielder, Roger Johnson signed for Birmingham for £5.9m, Sam Ricketts and Zat Knight signed for Bolton for not very much, Stephen Kelly signed for Fulham, Andrew Surman signed for Wolves and the young French forward Gabriel Obertan who United signed for £3.5m can operate on the wing as well. Were we not looking at any of these? (and before anyone says they're crap, Moyes himself has said what we need is additional bodies to add depth rather than superstars, and I think all of tehse fit the solid professional or promising youngster category we need).

Oh and as for Lescott handing in a transfer request - take £20m for him then, he's not irreplacable. For that we should be able to get Senderos, a utility full back and a decent wide player. Then we can stop moaning and get on with the season!

There is no point in blowing our entire 50p transfer budget just to get any old RB, CB, RW or whatever if they arent good enough dont buy them

He knows as well as any of us what our financial situation is and how it puts us at a disadvantage in the transfer market - so why come out and say the same thing, year in, year out?

Because he's asked I guess. If he said, "Everything's great and I'm very happy with the size and quality of my squad" we'd all jump up and down on his head wouldn't we?

Because he's asked I guess. If he said, "Everything's great and I'm very happy with the size and quality of my squad" we'd all jump up and down on his head wouldn't we?

Haha maybe he could do with learning the art of avoiding the question then - I don't think hazel Blears is doing much these days, she was always pretty good at it

I am really really hoping that all this transfer window is a HUGE strategy.

1) the longer you wait in windows, sometimes the cheaper the players prices - Based on the clubs buying replacements early so that when the innevitable happens, the club is ready with life without ____. So Bill's holding out for cheaper fee's.

2) Moyes has done all his research and work, identified targets, and is currently sitting on them untill a) 1 happens and B) Lescott leaves and we get an influx of money. The longer we hold out, the higher the bidding from City goes, which means the more (or more expensive) players we can get in.

3) Moyes is looking at the strength of the current squad, and wants to be a 100% accurate of players' return dates i.e. Arteta/ Yak before he spends money in the same department.

4) Keeping all his cards to his chest, decreases the interest of other clubs in your players, if they realise how small the squad is, they understand how resilient Moyes/Everton will be.

5) The media publication of not having any money and the a tiny squad ill-fit to compete, may idicate to clubs that Everton would be in no mood to commit, into long term negotiations and would rather go in and out, without making othe clubs apparent with our business...

Or Alternateivly

We have no money, No negotiators, no chance!?

I don't think we can sell Lescott now. It is so close to the end of the transfer window we could not replace him and get the replacement up to speed on the Everton way of playing in time for the season opener.

Anyway according to Sky, Lescott's application for a transfer has been turned down by Moyes.

So without his sale, how much money have we got?

I don't think it is very much.

Unless something very remarkable happens, I seriously doubt we will make any signings for the first team this time around.