IGNORED

Moutinho

I don't mean this in a negative way but isn't this guy another Pienaar?

i.e. small, tidy & hard working.

Don't we have enough tidy, midget gems?

We need pace!

Don't know a lot about Moutinho so could be talking out of sorts.

Well, there's a few things I can tell you about him. Yes, he's a bit on the short side, but he doesn't turn away from a dispute, he's very hard-working, running the entire lengh of the field for the entire 90 minutes. He's not a sprinter, no, but he isn't slow either, he has speed, good ball control, and good vision. He's very good at passing, especially through balls for fast attackers, but there's one thing he has that, to me, define him:

-He has the highest stamina and (quite possbily) the thoughest hide I've ever seen in a player. He goes the whole 90 minutes, EVERY SINGLE GAME. Last season, he played 57 games for Sporting, plus the Portugal games. I've seen him take a shit load of beatings, and he hasn't had even a minor injury, let alone a major one. Seeing Everton's luck in the fitness department this season, I think you can see the beneficts of having a player like him, that's always match fit.

Also, he's good at defending, has good positioning, so he recovers a lot of balls, but seldom gets booked. Just to give you the picture, he's on his 4th yellow of the season, and last year, he didn't miss any matches because of suspensions.

The thing is, things might be very different come this summer. porto and benfica are clearly underperforming, and, if we were playing like we should, we'd be top of the league by now with a confortable margin. as it is, I don't even know if we can win it. I do know that an election is coming, and who knows what will happen after a new president is elected.

Edited by Sporting4ever

i don't want him for the following reasons:

1. massive price tag...who are we real madrid? we need to pack this one big signing a season thing in and get ourselves a strong squad as well as improving the first team. we could buy several players instead of just moutinho

2. unproven in the premiership

3. where will he play? after signing fellaini (who i didn't want either and still don't) we now have neville, arteta, cahill and fellaini to compete to start in central midfield. we don't need another we need some wide player. osman isn't good enough and pienaar is hit and miss, take either of them otu and there's no back up.

4. height...again

i think the most important onces are 1 and 3 for the time being. if jo does well or any other players become available we'll have nothing left. personally i'd like to see us in for adam johnson should boro go down, jo or bent, ledley or mattock, he's a dick but maybe pennant on a free just to strengthen the squad as well as the first team. we've struggled for squad size for a few seasons now i think it's about time we seriously looked at it even if it means selling to buy as well...anichebe no longer has a future for me get a few mil there and osman is a centre mid really who won't get near the side, he's a good squad player but if we can get a decent sum.

if we get into europe again we can't afford the same mistakes and the same small squad. we need to move forward but buying one player isn't the way IMO.

Edited by CraccerC

i don't want him for the following reasons:

1. massive price tag...who are we real madrid? we need to pack this one big signing a season thing in and get ourselves a strong squad as well as improving the first team. we could buy several players instead of just moutinho

2. unproven in the premiership

3. where will he play? after signing fellaini (who i didn't want either and still don't) we now have neville, arteta, cahill and fellaini to compete to start in central midfield. we don't need another we need some wide player. osman isn't good enough and pienaar is hit and miss, take either of them otu and there's no back up.

4. height...again

i think the most important onces are 1 and 3 for the time being. if jo does well or any other players become available we'll have nothing left. personally i'd like to see us in for adam johnson should boro go down, jo or bent, ledley or mattock, he's a dick but maybe pennant on a free just to strengthen the squad as well as the first team. we've struggled for squad size for a few seasons now i think it's about time we seriously looked at it even if it means selling to buy as well...anichebe no longer has a future for me get a few mil there and osman is a centre mid really who won't get near the side, he's a good squad player but if we can get a decent sum.

if we get into europe again we can't afford the same mistakes and the same small squad. we need to move forward but buying one player isn't the way IMO.

Yay, someone else who has the same opinion of Fellaini as me.

Adam Johnson is a very good and unsung player & plays on the wing.

i just don't see what all the fuss is about with fellaini all he's done is win a few headers, his workrate i think is poor and he can't tackle so for someone who i thought was meant to fill out DM role he's pretty shite at it.

i think adam johnson would be ideal for that reason, either wing and good at it too.

Edited by CraccerC

IN MY OPINION, we need players like Moutinho and the like to step up to the next level, enen though he's a decent player, I don't see Adam Johnson turning us into a Champions League side. You really can't be serious bringing that dick Pennant here? I'm sure he'll add to the team spirit here.

Fellaini wise. He's a good player. £15million? Nah, no way not yet. But Jesus he's 21!!! The foundations are good we need to put meat on the bones and players like Moutinho are just the ones we need to be linked with. The Portugesse league is a very good league as well compared to the Russian (Arshavin) for example..

I disagree about one big signing per season, we havent got a big squad, but we have a decent one. if one player is replaced by better quality each season and we dont lose anybody we should keep slowly improving

we'll have to agree to disagree because I completely disagree with that. do you think fellaini has improved us from last year? yakubu did, did beattie?

but on the squad front i don't think we have a decent one at all, we're putting kids on the bench that aren't ready, even shandy is on the bench we're that short. if pienaar and osman (who isn't good enough in the first place) get injured who do we bring in? gosling or rodwell? both central midfielders who are prospects not top 6 players. if we buy one player a season whilst man city, spurs, newcastle, villa buy several how are we going to keep improving? it's only a matter of time before someone like spurs starts the season well they were ahead of us a few seasons ago and as much as i hate them they'll be back there soon enough.

on the adam johnson point, you're right he's not champions league quality, neither is pienaar, osman, fellaini, neville, hibbert all which are current starting 11 players. the thing with johnson however is that he has the potential to be a champions league player and sometimes you've got to take a player like that and blood them in. even if he isn't top 4 quality he's still better than osman and thus is still improving the starting 11.

on pennant - as i said he may be a prick and yes he could cause problems in the dressing room I wasn't saying that we should definitiely sign him, I just mentioned him in a group of players that we have been linked with an may be cheaper possibilities, on a free transfer and better than what we have.

as well as we've done recently we've still got a squad that's not big enough to compete at the top. liverpool in the cup we were absolutely battered, poor poor performance and that's with only arteta missing from the side that gave them a good game...coincidence? maybe, maybe not. every team misses key players, i'm not trying to say that they don't but we've got noone on standby that's proven.

after spending 15+ on fellaini can we really afford to spend in excess of that on ANOTHER centre mid? not for me, too risky. i really wishwe'd signed mout instead of fellaini but we're stuck with screech now much to my disappointment,

we'll have to agree to disagree because I completely disagree with that. do you think fellaini has improved us from last year? yakubu did, did beattie?

but on the squad front i don't think we have a decent one at all, we're putting kids on the bench that aren't ready, even shandy is on the bench we're that short. if pienaar and osman (who isn't good enough in the first place) get injured who do we bring in? gosling or rodwell? both central midfielders who are prospects not top 6 players. if we buy one player a season whilst man city, spurs, newcastle, villa buy several how are we going to keep improving? it's only a matter of time before someone like spurs starts the season well they were ahead of us a few seasons ago and as much as i hate them they'll be back there soon enough.

on the adam johnson point, you're right he's not champions league quality, neither is pienaar, osman, fellaini, neville, hibbert all which are current starting 11 players. the thing with johnson however is that he has the potential to be a champions league player and sometimes you've got to take a player like that and blood them in. even if he isn't top 4 quality he's still better than osman and thus is still improving the starting 11.

on pennant - as i said he may be a prick and yes he could cause problems in the dressing room I wasn't saying that we should definitiely sign him, I just mentioned him in a group of players that we have been linked with an may be cheaper possibilities, on a free transfer and better than what we have.

as well as we've done recently we've still got a squad that's not big enough to compete at the top. liverpool in the cup we were absolutely battered, poor poor performance and that's with only arteta missing from the side that gave them a good game...coincidence? maybe, maybe not. every team misses key players, i'm not trying to say that they don't but we've got noone on standby that's proven.

after spending 15+ on fellaini can we really afford to spend in excess of that on ANOTHER centre mid? not for me, too risky. i really wishwe'd signed mout instead of fellaini but we're stuck with screech now much to my disappointment,

CraccerC, are the hightlighted sections a contradiction then? You said the our kids aren't ready and they need time, but you are willing to take Johnson in the starting 11 over Moutinho, whom may i add, would need alot more time!?

Personally i'd have Moutinho over Johnson, because a)he has much more experience at top level b)is quite clearly more talented, even at 2 years different and c)we've had a johnson and i WANT a moutinho :P

As much as i would love to see moutinho at Everton, i don't think we should spend the bulk of the transfer money on just one player. We need to get a couple of players who are good.(moutinho would be in the category of very good) We need strength in depth and quite frankly we been running on a small squad too long. We need the luxury of being able to rotate players every once in awhile. Honestly, it maybe a good thing we are out of europe at this point because we may not be able to play so many games without rotating our players abit. Look at the teams above us. They have a healthy squad size and thats why they are up there. Hopefully we can sign another cahill or arteta-esque players for the same value. But if we can do that and still afford Moutinho, then sign him up! Either that, or we can hope some really rich billionaire buys us over.

I disagree with you I think we have got the nucleous of a good squad already and so i dont think there is any point what so ever in spending money on squad players. If they are not going to improve the side why bother signing them?

I would be quite happy if we get one top quality player each window, which i think Mountinho is by the way

I also think Osman is a good player, granted he would probably be one of the first to drop down to the bench if we did bring in a world class midfielder

fair enough mate, i respect your opinion. but it either have a bog squad and not go forward, or have a small squad of mroe quality, and maybe go forward. but i agree felaini has not improved us from last season, btu its about time we staeted buying your up and coming players. but johnson, sorry, poor mans downing, and even he is shite.

and yes, beattie did improve over darren bent, johnson improved over him, and yak improved over him.

I have to dissagree, I think that Screetch is an improvement to our squad. Fallini is different to any other type of player we currently have. He is tall, strong, athletic, can head, pass, tacke and is a real box to box player, in short an all rounder.

He is new to this country and the Premier Leauge is very different to the Belgum Leauge in terms of pace and style and this takes time to adapt to. He is also carrying a back injury at the moment so his movement is restricted. We wont see the best of the big fella until next season, but when we do I believe that he could be our Viera given time.

Peanuts is a midget gem, full of pace, stamina, skill and is a good passer, he has struck up an excellent understanding with Baines (who I believe to be one of the best left backs in the country right now) the pair of them "retired" Garry Nev at old trafford with the passing and movement, it was great. While not world beaters they do a job and they do it very well.

Osman is carrying a knee injury that will probably require surgery at the end of the season if reports are to be believed. He is very similar to Peanuts in that he is small skillful, good passer and makes runs, but unlike peanuts he blows very hot and cold. I think when he is fully fit he has been consistant and his ability to interchange with the other midfield players is a definate advantage. He is capable of great things like the goal against Larrissa, and absolute shockers. He is a very good squad player if he could be more consistant then he would be more than that.

I think the main thing to remember is that we are a team and a team is greater than the sum of its parts. To improve us I think a wide player is needed one of real quality. Downing is an answer to question we havent asked. I would like to see Bently or Lennon plus ledley at Cardiff who is one for the future and Gienus at spurs who is able to play accross the whole of midfield and can do everything quite well - a more consistant Osman and good competition for places.

London blue ....... He is tall, strong, athletic, can head, pass, tackle and is a real box to box player, in short an all rounder.

Your getting him mixed up with Superman. :P Tall, Can head, Pass, YES.

Strong, Athletic, Tackle, a real box to box player, a BIG NO. not an all rounder, not in a million years. :)

London blue ....... He is tall, strong, athletic, can head, pass, tackle and is a real box to box player, in short an all rounder.

Your getting him mixed up with Superman. :P Tall, Can head, Pass, YES.

Strong, Athletic, Tackle, a real box to box player, a BIG NO. not an all rounder, not in a million years. :)

Super Screetch? :lol:

He is strong Ive seen a few players bounce off him in the games hes played for us. Tackling is a bit hit and miss I grant you but I have seen him make a few tackles :P , and he is known as a box to box midfielder in Belgium or so I'm led to believe and if there is one thing DM is good at it is improving fitness.

Anyway time will tell I guess

I'll go with what Moyes wants. He is aware of the progress he expects from Rodwell and others. I doubt if we'll be able to afford a big signing this year, we have a drop in income (early exit from Europe), no increase next seasons ticket prices and a slight fall off in attendence.

As for Fellaini, he is still a work in progress, needs to get his temper sorted and pick up his pace a little. I think he has been told not to tackle too much because of his lanky size, it would look like a deliberate foul to some refs. He has taken some nice poachers goals so I live in hope that he'll fill the bill

As much as i would love to see moutinho at Everton, i don't think we should spend the bulk of the transfer money on just one player. We need to get a couple of players who are good.(moutinho would be in the category of very good) We need strength in depth and quite frankly we been running on a small squad too long. We need the luxury of being able to rotate players every once in awhile. Honestly, it maybe a good thing we are out of europe at this point because we may not be able to play so many games without rotating our players abit. Look at the teams above us. They have a healthy squad size and thats why they are up there. Hopefully we can sign another cahill or arteta-esque players for the same value. But if we can do that and still afford Moutinho, then sign him up! Either that, or we can hope some really rich billionaire buys us over.

I think that David Moyes is trying to build a team of talented players. Given limited funds, he wants to achieve his aim in 2 ways, namely (a) where in one way he want to acquire young talented players at a cheaper rate like Seamus Coleman and I just heard about an Under-21 Noewegian defender that may be in Everton team during the Summer (B) to purchase one highly talented young player on an annual basis like Marouane Fellaini last year and this summer, wishing to have Jose Moutinho. Just like Arteta and Cahill who has been brought to EFC at a cheaper rate, DM believes that player like Coleman being purchased at a lower rate will be a big hit to the club.

I think that David Moyes is trying to build a team of talented players. Given limited funds, he wants to achieve his aim in 2 ways, namely (a) where in one way he want to acquire young talented players at a cheaper rate like Seamus Coleman and I just heard about an Under-21 Noewegian defender that may be in Everton team during the Summer (B) to purchase one highly talented young player on an annual basis like Marouane Fellaini last year and this summer, wishing to have Jose Moutinho. Just like Arteta and Cahill who has been brought to EFC at a cheaper rate, DM believes that player like Coleman being purchased at a lower rate will be a big hit to the club.

João, not José ;)

And by the way, you guys have been checking up on the players from Braga I mentioned some time ago? There's also lots of young talent there, and it's much cheaper, I might add. There's quite a few quality players in minor clubs (not that Braga is a minor club, simply smaller then the Big 3) over here, and they'd cost a lot less. From what I heard a few weeks back, there's been Everton envoys watching a few Braga games, so either someone reads this forum, or the club has not gone completely unnoticed ;) . Anyways, I think Everton need to correct 2 problems, the small squad, that makes every injury an extremely though problem, and a few more quality players, to, if nothing else, allow for a better squad management, so as not to burn the players. Remember, next season the UEFA will be like the Chamions League, so there's a lot more games to played. Everton cannot afford to have such a small squad, if you hope to progress as much as possible in every single competition.

João, not José ;)

And by the way, you guys have been checking up on the players from Braga I mentioned some time ago? There's also lots of young talent there, and it's much cheaper, I might add. There's quite a few quality players in minor clubs (not that Braga is a minor club, simply smaller then the Big 3) over here, and they'd cost a lot less. From what I heard a few weeks back, there's been Everton envoys watching a few Braga games, so either someone reads this forum, or the club has not gone completely unnoticed ;) . Anyways, I think Everton need to correct 2 problems, the small squad, that makes every injury an extremely though problem, and a few more quality players, to, if nothing else, allow for a better squad management, so as not to burn the players. Remember, next season the UEFA will be like the Chamions League, so there's a lot more games to played. Everton cannot afford to have such a small squad, if you hope to progress as much as possible in every single competition.

Will someone forward this posting to the club, we could save a few euro's :lol:

IMO Moyes intends feeding as many youngsters into the system as he can, balancing this against some reasonably big buys, it his way forward. I have wondered however actually how good our scouting system is.............................just see how we spent at the last minute in past transfer windows, that is scary

Edited by Jimmy the blue

Thinking about it we have some good players coming through the ranks for most of the field.

Baines isn't that old and could count as one of the younger contingents, Coleman with development could be a very good right back, Rodwell is exceeding expectations in defense midfield, as well as gosling on the line, kissock will need deelopment but he's a promising player, as is Turner and Baxter. Jutkiewicz has gone out on loan but I think with fine-tuning he could be a solid striker.

Fellaini really doesn't have an excuse for his overbearing midfield presence, when we attack, especially on set pieces, they have a lot to be worried about with Baines/Arteta crossing and Cahill, Felli and Lescott in the box, but defending he is thusfar below standard, he doesn't track back as much and when he does his challenges are clumsy and often too strong. That's how he has so many cards and it needs to disappear from his game before he will develop in the prem. <_<

Overall our major area from improvement is our wide positions, the left most desperately. While Moutinho would do more for our "liquid football", I think while we have arteta in central midfield there's no room for him, and he wouldn't settle for a place on the bench after being Captain for a big club. :rolleyes:

We should have secured Manny Fernandes as I think with a good run here he would have given us what Moutinho is offering but from a wide position, in place of that I'd have someone like Ángel Fabián Di María or Juan Manuel Mata. Both young, very fast and talented players who are gaining recognition at their clubs.

Either that, or at least bring someone with pace into the squad, as there are few among them who truly have it on the level of some prem players and it's hurting our attack, considering a hell of a lot of our goals come from set pieces. :huh:

Moyes knows what to do and he knows who to go for, he also gets the best out of the players in most situations, even Shandy Andy provided the cross for the red shite bashing! :P

So I trust that he knows what we need to compete and I'm sure he will bring in someone who will help us get further than we are now.

Edited by The Regulator

I'd love to have Mouthino at Everton. I think he would give us that extra bit of creativity that we miss when Arteta is either out or not playing up to scratch.

However on the other hand we've really struggled with strikers for over a year now. I still think we should have kept McFadden. What we need is someone with pace who can play up front but also do a job on the wing - preferably right. I think Pienaar and Baines do a great job on the left.

I'd be really pleased if we could get Moutinho and a rightwinger/striker, but ultimately I don't think we'll have the funds. I'd let Anichebe go but that's probably it. We need to keep players simply to keep the numbers up and make sure we still have options, especially if we get into Europe again.

Also, if I'm completely honest, I'd be really surprised if we got Moutinho, for sure he's waiting for a 'bigger' club to come get him. And if he is gonna be available in the summer, I'm sure that by the time we get off our asses and actually sign someone, it'll be the same old story of last minute deals and missing out on best players. We'd do ourselves a big favour, if we actually started now to plan for which players we're gonna sign in the summer, that way we'll be able to get the squad together early and hopefully have a better start to next season than we did this.

I don't see what peoples problem is with Felliani. Granted, the reported 15 million fee is a trifle bewildering but i think you will find to reach the 15 million pounds valuation it means we have been very succesful. Alot of the fee is based on appearances and what we can achieve. Felliani is 21. He doesn't speak english and is coming to terms with the hardest and fastest league in the world. Give him 12 months and i assure you we will be fighting off the major european clubs who will want him. As for Adam Johnson, for a player who has been loaned out to championship sides and to not get a game at Boro i think would be a waste of time. We could all pick holes at players for want they dont do but you should focus on what they DO. Pioneer, Osman etc do have flaws but so what? What we are missing big time is real pace!!!

CraccerC, are the hightlighted sections a contradiction then? You said the our kids aren't ready and they need time, but you are willing to take Johnson in the starting 11 over Moutinho, whom may i add, would need alot more time!?

Personally i'd have Moutinho over Johnson, because a)he has much more experience at top level b)is quite clearly more talented, even at 2 years different and c)we've had a johnson and i WANT a moutinho :P

no they're not. both players are as i said prospects and they do need blooding in, they're not top 6 quality but certainly rodwell looks like he might be in a few years. i wouldn't say it's a contradiction, i didn't read over it, maybe i just didn't get my message across how i wanted. essentially, i don't think we need another central midfielder and i do like johnson although he's still young. another point i've just thought of though, should we sign moutinho when are rodwell ans gosling going to get their chances?

no they're not. both players are as i said prospects and they do need blooding in, they're not top 6 quality but certainly rodwell looks like he might be in a few years. i wouldn't say it's a contradiction, i didn't read over it, maybe i just didn't get my message across how i wanted. essentially, i don't think we need another central midfielder and i do like johnson although he's still young. another point i've just thought of though, should we sign moutinho when are rodwell ans gosling going to get their chances?

When we sell Fellaini. :D

fair enough mate, i respect your opinion. but it either have a bog squad and not go forward, or have a small squad of mroe quality, and maybe go forward. but i agree felaini has not improved us from last season, btu its about time we staeted buying your up and coming players. but johnson, sorry, poor mans downing, and even he is shite.

and yes, beattie did improve over darren bent, johnson improved over him, and yak improved over him.

marcus ;)

i don't think beattie improved over bent really, i thought bent was a very good piece of business and did exceptionally well. i agree with the rest though as you say johnson was an improvement and so was yak. i see your point on the quality of the squad too and i believe it's a valid one, i just feel with so many other teams spending big and the fact that we already have a better side than them our main shortfall is in the size of the squad. although we keep managing to somewhat get away with it i think it's only a matter of time before we lose arteta, for example, and it costs us big in the league. a compromise maybe? a 'big' signing and a few smaller ones, however we wouldn't be able to spend 20 million on that signing obviously, maybe a fee similar to what we paid for the yak.

to EW (don't know your real name) i'd sell fellaini for moutinho, but i can't see it happening, or us getting anywhere near an acceptable ROI

Edited by CraccerC

Guest efctaxi
"and yes, beattie did improve over darren bent, johnson improved over him, and yak improved over him".

'''''''''''''''''

Marcus, not Darren. ;)

Had it not been for Darren Marcus Bent , we might have been in the 3rd division by now :)