IGNORED

Lescott

For any team to improve and push on you have to buy new players that are better to what you currently have, that's just common sense.

Chelski did it when Roman took over... that's just the way of the world. The thing is, Chelski where already the second best team in the league whereas City are mid table mediocrity, therefore they need to replace about 8 or 9 of their first XI.

Attually they beat liverpool on the final day of the previous season to qualify for the Champs league, had they lost, he probably wouldn't of brought them.

Probably the wrong place to write this (feel free to move) but as we're discussing cover for Lescott and I can't find the Mancienne thread...

bbc website says that Chelski are looking to bring Pirlo in with Mancienne and A N Other going in the opposite direction.

Would a bid for Mancienne not be a shout? He is very talented and highly rated, young, English and surely he'd prefer to stay in England than go abroad (actually, upon re-reading that AC Milan or Everton...?!)

Anyway, I think it would be a good move and if Chelski don't want to keep him then he may be tempted.

He can play RB and CB too so would give us the cover we need...

For any team to improve and push on you have to buy new players that are better to what you currently have, that's just common sense.

Chelski did it when Roman took over... that's just the way of the world. The thing is, Chelski where already the second best team in the league whereas City are mid table mediocrity, therefore they need to replace about 8 or 9 of their first XI.A new owner comes in with loads of money and he wants success; do you a) buy one or 2 starts a year to move up the league gradually, or B) buy as many as you can to try and get guaranteed instant success?

As for players, unless they are playing for their boyhood club and already getting paid a wedge, i.e. at the top 4 already, then they will undoubtedly move when offered to double their money. Lescott has no ties to Everton, he is an employee first and foremost. Yes, there is a great comradery but does anyone really think that is worth £2million a year (estimate based on £40k/week salary increase)- no, is the answer I would suggest.

I just hope that this isn't the start of bad times. Pienaar has rejected the initial contract offer, I'd very worried about what would happen to Arteta if Fabregas went back to Spain as he would certainly fill the gap for Wenger. Arteta has come out and said we need to buy new players, as has Lescott and to see another pre-season when we bring no-one in and anyone we are linked with moves elsewhere and the club releases statements to confirm we were never interested in them must make the players doubt the ambition of the club.

Other clubs are in more debt than us and can buy players so although I accept that is a factor others manage it.

Moyes dragged his feet over his contract and finally signed it, I'd have thought that would have included some assurances over transfer funds, so again if the club renage on this what does this mean?

It's another frustrating pre-season as an Everton supporter. We see other clubs around us active and buying players, We have lost 3 or 4 squad players and brought no one in to replace them. We over achieve based on the number of players we have and sooner or later that will bite us on the ar5e.

If Lescott wants to go, sell him for the best price, get the money in and use this (if Moyes is allowed) to bring a few more in and they are certainly needed.

Hopefully I've not said anything there to upset anyone and receive a torrent of abuse :lol:

Didnt Chelsea finish 4th the year Abramovich took over?? Either way Man City have even more money to splash so probably will do it quicker.

Money talks , Chelsea bought the league, so did Blackburn and the top 4 have been there for years because of thier spending power

I totally agree with what you say though

In effect doesn't every team buy success?

To an extent yes....but this lot were a bit of a bargain...

Southall £150,000

Stevens £0

Mountfield £30,000

Ratcliffe £0

Van den Hauwe £100,000

Steven £300,000

Bracewell £425,000

Reid £60,000

Sheedy £100,000

Gray £250,000

Sharp £120,000

£1,535,000 all in (record transfer at the time was £1,500,000) :) .

To an extent yes....but this lot were a bit of a bargain...

Southall £150,000

Stevens £0

Mountfield £30,000

Ratcliffe £0

Van den Hauwe £100,000

Steven £300,000

Bracewell £425,000

Reid £60,000

Sheedy £100,000

Gray £250,000

Sharp £120,000

£1,535,000 all in (record transfer at the time was £1,500,000) :) .

Brilliant Mike, this is why i rate Kendall as a better manager than Catterick.

Cattericks team of the 60s was a better team to watch (school of science football) and all that, but as Mark said we bought all the good players, with the John Moores (Littlewoods) millions.

Kendall assembled a squad of decent players, no big stars as such, but they came in to do a specific job and did it well, it was the right player, at the right time and in the right place, plus a terrific team ethic.

They certainly became big stars and household names in that golden period. Brilliant.

Everton will reject Citeh's revised offer, I've said it once and say it again DM will not allow Lescott to move in this Tranfer window.

Although certain members of the board would see this as a good deal, the majority believe selling Lescott would seriously p*** o** DM and the failure to back his tranfer policy (i.e not selling his best players) could lead to DM questioning his future with Everton.

If we got Onuhoa however you spell his name and something in the 15-20 mill range i'd be happy that would mean we only have to buy cover and it does give us a little money to spend without having to take out more loans

just hear on SSN Onuhoa just signed 5 year deal at Man SHitty, another one bites the dust!

Anyone else think Lescott may have to go in order for us to spend any money this summer?

I think lots of people will think that....and some will think that we'll sell him and still not spend any money :) .

Personally (based on nothing more than gut feeling) I think Davey will do anything to avoid selling. I think he's probably got a budget of around £10-12m as it is and I think that if Lescott forces his hand by asking for a transfer he'll get another £10-12m from the sale but may not spend it until January.

And I think he'll have marmite on toast for breakfast tomorrow....black decaff coffee with a spoonful of golden granulated sugar....just my instinct; don't quote me.

Anyone else think Lescott may have to go in order for us to spend any money this summer?

Don't know about that!.....BUT, if he stays at Everton, because he WANTS to, then I hope the fans at Goodison for the first game aginst Arsenal give him the credit he deserves.Lescott staying will say more about Everton than any amount of big time charlies not coming will......I think :blink:

I think lots of people will think that....and some will think that we'll sell him and still not spend any money :) .

Personally (based on nothing more than gut feeling) I think Davey will do anything to avoid selling. I think he's probably got a budget of around £10-12m as it is and I think that if Lescott forces his hand by asking for a transfer he'll get another £10-12m from the sale but may not spend it until January.

And I think he'll have marmite on toast for breakfast tomorrow....black decaff coffee with a spoonful of golden granulated sugar....just my instinct; don't quote me.

Sorry have read in newspapers that he has sweetners

I think that if Lescott wants to stay he will need to come out and say so

Sorry have read in newspapers that he has sweetners

Sorry Adam but I think you're deluding yourself.

Shouldn't believe what you read in the papers....unless you can come up with a link from the Official Site to back up that allegation I'll stand by my views B) .

They will go to £22m imo. and we'll reject that as well. We'd be stupid to sell him at the moment. We need to sign one new centre back as it is, if Lescott goes that's two centre backs. We lose Yobo in January as well, and just have to hope that Jags gets back in time. It doesn't matter how much they offer, Moyes would be stupid to sell because he will know that he would only get a small fraction of the amount raised from the sale.