IGNORED

World Cup Play-Offs

There's no RefCam so it's impossible to know whether or not the ref and linesman had a clear view but if there was ever a more obvious example of why football needs a Television Match Official it was the 11 Irishmen on that pitch who cried their eyes out at the sheer travesty of it all.

My FA Cup disappointment has nothing on this.

SSN have done a feature on it where they use video technology to see whether either of them had a view. It turns out the ref had no way of seeing yet the linesman had a clear view. I thought the ref had a very good game, especially with the Anelka dive call (should have been booked though). Iv always thought of Henry as one of the greatest players Iv ever seen play football, and for me this tarnishes his reputation a little. Like someone said, in the same situation I would probably have done the same, at least instinctively, but I would like to think I would have owned up to it before the decision of a goal was counted.

An Taoiseach himself calling for a replay: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1119/ireland.html

Irish Prime Minister for those who don't speak Irish lol.

Some choice quotes

Arriving at a summit meeting of EU leaders in Brussels, Brian Cowen said he agreed with calls for a replay since, 'fair play is a fundamental part of the game.'

He said he would be discussing the matter with the French President Nicholas Sarkozy on the margins of the summit although he did not want 'to raise it to high diplomatic status.'

However, as a football row becomes political, French Prime Minister Francois Fillon responded by saying that the Irish government 'should not interfere' in footballing decisions.

The matter was raised in the Dáil this morning, with Fine Gael's Alan Shatter calling on FIFA to vigorously pursue the use of video referees.

Mr Shatter also called on the Dáil to congratulate the Irish team on its performance, in a game 'that had been won by sleight of hand'.

He said the game had contaminated the reputation of the World Cup, and called for a meeting of Ministers for Sport, to get an EU Directive requiring the use of video referees in soccer.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen earlier congratulated the Irish Team on 'a most courageous performance'.

The Dáil being the Irish lower house.

Edited by Grarghsies

Wow some of the reactions are way out of proportion (here, in the Irish and UK press, and that douche Keane).. the fact that they're French is irrelevant...

I don't think anyone (on here certainly) has attached any relevance to the fact that it was the French have they?

The last time I got this angry about events on a football pitch (other than Maradonna) the French were the injured party in fact. It was Harald Schumacher's unpunished assault on Patrick Battiston in '82...

who do we have here! Platini :)

i'm incredably curious to what he has to say about the situation. as a frenchman, but foremost as an opponent of the use of technology in Football.

Does anyone know if Platini or blatter made a statement about what happened?? I'm afraid they will stick their head in the sand again.

FIFA have said a replay is not possible. I wonder if it would be a different story if it'd have been an Irish hand that cheated the French out of a place at the World Cup...

FIFA have got their wish that pretty much all the big boys will be at the World Cup now.

I disagree with this. If a replay isn't possible then they need to make some rule changes so this doesn't happen in the future. But there's no conspiracy here.

Besides, Russia's not going and a country of 2 million people, Slovenia, is.

I disagree with this. If a replay isn't possible then they need to make some rule changes so this doesn't happen in the future. But there's no conspiracy here.

Besides, Russia's not going and a country of 2 million people, Slovenia, is.

Yeah, just the one big team lost out, I'm sure FIFA would have taken that before the games were played. You don't find it at all strange that there were so many big countries involved in the play-offs and they decided to seed them?

Just occurred to me....does the fourth official have no power at all in this? It seems that by the time the game kicked off again the ref already knew he'd made a mistake, presumably because he'd been told by the fourth man. Can he not legally act on that info...could have sworn when Zidane was sent off in the Final it was under those circumstances. If they can act on that then why could they not on this occasion?

That is a complete and utter travesty. If ever a game should be replayed then that should. If that's not possible then France should be thrown out otherwise it just sends the message that cheating pays...Henry up there with Maradonna for ever.

There are precedents for games being replayed in the past under such circumstances (Arsenal/Sheff United FA Cup 1999), maybe not world cup games but I certainly think the Irish should push for it and the French should be big enough not to object (like Arsenal didn't).

:angry: And Alan HANDsen!

Pretty understandable why the Irish feel so angry over this. If it's any consolation, check out how the odds offered to French supporters on this match - absolutely scandalous! It's because monopolies, which rip off supporters. The right2bet petition has been a long time coming, but this really shows just how overdue it is.

Edited by Moyes85

Truth of it is that the only people who could possibly have made the decision to replay it were the French FA...and they never would.

Would we? Would anyone?

Have to let it go now....even Bono's getting involved today ffs!

Agreed. There will always be sympathy for the Irish for what happened from everybody around the world - Yes Henry did handle the ball, yes he shouldn't have celebrated, yes they got screwed over, yes they were denied a chance to play on the biggest stage of them all, but sometimes shit happens and that's life.

In no way am I having a go at any of the Irish players or people - I lost a whole lot of respect for Henry and I felt strongly that a replay should have been scheduled, and perhaps if one wasn't going to happen that Henry should retire from international football. But keeping in mind a similar issue that happened to Australia at the 2006 World Cup, where Fabio Grosso took a dive in the box following a Lucas Neill challenge, earnt them a penalty and they went on to win the World Cup.

Did we feel cheated? Absolutely. But then again, if it had of gone to extra time and penalties, there was no guarentee we would win. I feel this is a similar issue here, both of us got screwed over by one player cheating to win. But once again, it was 1-1 at the time on aggregate, there was no guarentee that they would have won on penalties if the goal had of been disallowed.

Believe me I do feel sympathy for the Irish and I repeat in no way am I having a go at them, but sometimes you just have to accept what's happened and move on. I think the concept of video referees would be helpful in today's game, however I can't see them implementing them anytime soon.