IGNORED

Champions League

Real Madrid just lost to Lyon. They were outplayed in the second half and never looked like scoring another goal. Most people probably wanted Real to remain in the competition so there would be a Real-Chelsea or ManU game, but Lyon really deserved this.

Would't mind if Miralem Pjanic was one of the players Moyes brings in during the summer :). What a player at only 19 years old.

From the bits and pieces I saw of ManU vs AC Milan it looked almost as boring as Arsenal-Porto.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the bits and pieces I saw of ManU vs AC Milan it looked almost as boring as Arsenal-Porto.

It was...it's just so bloody frustrating that we took that United side apart while they're so all powerful in Europe and we just keep blowing it :( . Experience I guess.

Fair play to Lyon though....great result. Final's at the Bernabau this year....what a shame. Perhaps Real need to spend some more money :P .

im curious what repercussions this will have for Real. Im sure some of the investment they received was banked against winning the CL and the league. Maybe a firesale of some of the fringe players to help raise more money? There are a couple i wouldnt mind taking off them!

van der vaart would be more than welcome!!

dont real madrids debts etc get wiped off sometimes though as they are run by the government?? summat similar to that i heard but i dont know enough about them or their finances to back that up with anythin!

Edited by marcopaulo

im curious what repercussions this will have for Real. Im sure some of the investment they received was banked against winning the CL and the league. Maybe a firesale of some of the fringe players to help raise more money? There are a couple i wouldnt mind taking off them!

Think you've got it twisted - they'll just spend even more money and have today been linked with paying whatever it takes to get Rooney there.

On another note; I think Inter will knock Chelsea out tonight.

i wouldnt be suprised if they give Chelski a tonking. Depends on how Terry decides to play and looks like 3rd choice keeper is playing again. But then they do have a crackin attack, Malouda apprently in fine form and Anelka + Drogba usually = goals. still, im going with a convincing 1-3 to Inter, think Chelski will bottle it...

side note, come on Wigan!

I'm not completely sure if its a new thing this season, but i'm really glad that they're staggering all the round of 16 ties this year so that we have 4 of the 1st/2nd legs being played one week on tues/wed and the other 4 being played the next week. it's much better than having 8 champs league 1st/2nd legs being played in 2 days in the same week, so that it gives us a chance to watch more of the games.

is this a new thing they're trying out this year? i don't think they did it thinking over the last few seasons but i could be wrong

is this a new thing they're trying out this year? i don't think they did it thinking over the last few seasons but i could be wrong

It is a new thing, but I suspect the punters getting the chance to see more matches is just a side-effect of the real reason....UEFA trying to rake in more folding stuff off the TV companies :) .

It is a new thing, but I suspect the punters getting the chance to see more matches is just a side-effect of the real reason....UEFA trying to rake in more folding stuff off the TV companies :) .

So it's win-win.

Think Chelsea go through. Can't see them not scoring at least once. The away goal will be important.

Chelsea out. Never looked like winning it.

If you think the rich getting richer is a win situation then yes :) .

I don't mind the rich getting richer .. who cares? the product improved for everyone.

I'm thinking this improves Chelsea's chances of winning the premier league title.

Edited by holystove

draw has been made:

Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow

Arsenal v Barcelona

Bayern Munich v Manchester United

Lyon v Bordeaux

for the Semi finals:

Inter/CSKA Moscow v Arsenal/Barcelona

Bayern/Man United v Lyon/Bordeaux

Should be interesting! Will have to see if i can get to the Arsenal game too :)

I agree with Mike about the teams going through to the semis. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Lyon in the finals.

Happily be proved wrong :) .

Looking back at French performances in previous years spotted that Stade Reims actually played in the first ever European Cup final against Real Madrid in 1956 (losing 4-3) and again in '59 (losing 2-0).

Now they're in the Championnat National, the French third division. Bit of a come-down :( .

• 2 weeks later...

my dad said he thought it was harsh but i dont see why? fabregas was about to volley it at goal from 4 yards out with just the keeper there?? it was a goal scorin chance and puyol stopped it...i said the same to my dad i don't see why it was harsh? once the penalty was given it had to be red

and yeah i saw that about his leg he may be out of the world cup...what are the chances for mikky?

Edited by marcopaulo

I thought the sending off was harsh coz it was more of a case of Fabregas getting his leg caught between Puyol's legs rather Puyol trapping Fabregas' leg himself. If that makes sense.

It gives Mikel a chance to get in the squad but I doubt he'd get much opportunity to play seeing as Fabregas himself doesn't get past Xavi and Iniesta :unsure:.

even so would be nice for him to at least be in the squad and then who knows?? i know what you mean about fabregas gettin his legs tangled in puyols but if the penalty is given i think it has to be a red card doesnt it...puyol has put himself there and run the risk of trippin him which he did..

even so would be nice for him to at least be in the squad and then who knows?? i know what you mean about fabregas gettin his legs tangled in puyols but if the penalty is given i think it has to be a red card doesnt it...puyol has put himself there and run the risk of trippin him which he did..

It probably does, but I'm one of those people who thinks the penalty is punishment enough... unless it's against Everton of course, then they should be sent off without a doubt ;).