IGNORED

Champions League

I don't think that it was a sending off either. Puyol did run the risk but at worst he coul have been given a yellow card, the penalty is enough punishment. None the less it was given and Fabregas put it away like a true professional.

Even with the score locked at 2-2 I think that Barcelona will blow Arsenal away at the Nou Camp either 2-0 or 3-0. Ibrahimovic, Iniesta and possible Xavi to pop up with the goals. If it wasn't for Almunia the tie would already be won.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably does, but I'm one of those people who thinks the penalty is punishment enough... unless it's against Everton of course, then they should be sent off without a doubt ;).

owd mans like that thinks the penalty is bad enough for them and he says if they're clean through and brought down outside the area its a red and a free kick inside a pen and a yellow...i disagree though a goal scorin chance is a goal scorin chance if you drop them its a red for me

owd mans like that thinks the penalty is bad enough for them and he says if they're clean through and brought down outside the area its a red and a free kick inside a pen and a yellow...i disagree though a goal scorin chance is a goal scorin chance if you drop them its a red for me

I think exactly the same way. If they're brought down inside the area then a penatly is awarded which gives that side an excellent chance of getting the goal, punishment enough in my book. But if it's outside the area they're only getting a free-kick which lessens the chance of getting the goal scoring opportunity denied to them so the player deserves the red.

Games are too often spoiled by red cards, which is why I think a bit of common sense should be used. I mean, Barca have actually been punished three times due to that red card - he missed the rest of that game, Arsenal scored from it, and he'll miss the next leg too. That doesn't seem right to me when it was more of a case of Fabregas winning the penalty than Puyol giving it away.

I think exactly the same way. If they're brought down inside the area then a penatly is awarded which gives that side an excellent chance of getting the goal, punishment enough in my book. But if it's outside the area they're only getting a free-kick which lessens the chance of getting the goal scoring opportunity denied to them so the player deserves the red.

Games are too often spoiled by red cards, which is why I think a bit of common sense should be used. I mean, Barca have actually been punished three times due to that red card - he missed the rest of that game, Arsenal scored from it, and he'll miss the next leg too. That doesn't seem right to me when it was more of a case of Fabregas winning the penalty than Puyol giving it away.

what if a player has rounded the keeper and gets brought down? i see what you're saying, but it's a bit difficult to decide what is what. if i go round the keeper and im bout to put it into an empty net and get nailed by boris johnson, i don't think a penalty is enough.

when i was younger i once deliberately hand balled on the line and i didnt get sent off for it, got a yellow. they missed the pen and we won 1-0. of course i was seen as a genius and a hero but where's the justice in that?

Don't know if it has been mentioned but I have always thought that if a player gives away a penalty or free kick that merits a red card then it should only stand if the penalty or free kick does not result in a goal. If either is missed then the player leaves the pitch but if it is scored then that is enough punishment and he stays on. Probably decent arguments to counteract that though.

Edited by The Beard

if a player gives away a penalty or free kick that merits a red card then it should only stand if the penalty or free kick does not result in a goal. If either is missed then the player leaves the pitch but if it is scored then that is enough punishment and he stays on

I love that! Would be awesome if they introduced that. Intentional misses, having a player banned or not, .. intriguing.

I love that! Would be awesome if they introduced that. Intentional misses, having a player banned or not, .. intriguing.

Quite true, which is one reason it will not come into force. Imagine us 3-0 up against, say, Liverpool and Torres/ Gerrard or anyone really, handles on the line in the last minute. Moyes may order whoever is taking the spot kick to miss, as the game is already won, and the player walks and gets a ban.

Watched the first 5 minutes of the CSKA/Inter match. Bored already.

European speed football is not fun to watch when it's not combined with top class possession and defensive pressure like you get from Barcelona.

The Premier League really is a class apart with the sheer speed of the spectacle. Call me ADD lol.

European speed football is not fun to watch when it's not combined with top class possession and defensive pressure like you get from Barcelona.

The Premier League really is a class apart with the sheer speed of the spectacle. Call me ADD lol.

this^

too bad the Barcelona-Arsenal fixture had to come in the quarterfinals. That would have been a dream of a final.

Well CSKA Inter was always going to be a dull game. It's like saying you don't like the Premier League because you judge it by watching a Bolton-Wigan game.

I'm a big fan of the CL. It would be a loss for football if teams like Barcelona/Madrid, Bayern, Lyon, Arsenal/ManU/Chelsea, .. would only play each other in friendlies. The way Barcelona played at Emirates in the first half especially, was the best football I've seen in a long time.

Well CSKA Inter was always going to be a dull game. It's like saying you don't like the Premier League because you judge it by watching a Bolton-Wigan game.

I'm a big fan of the CL. It would be a loss for football if teams like Barcelona/Madrid, Bayern, Lyon, Arsenal/ManU/Chelsea, .. would only play each other in friendlies. The way Barcelona played at Emirates in the first half especially, was the best football I've seen in a long time.

At least Bolton-Wigan would be fast paced and end to end. It might not be pretty, but it'd be somewhat interesting.

Oh and Messi is a god. End of. :lol: (Written at half-time in Barca/Arsenal :P)

You're right about Messi. Was also impressed with Dani Alves, "Seamus Coleman"-esque going forward :).

The game was a little bit too fast for Arsenal, especially for Bendtner.

That's because he's simply poo :P.

Messi is amazing to watch, I'm in awe at the speed he can run with with the ball at keep it under control. Every opportunity I get to watch Barca I do, and hopefully I'll get to watch the Madrid/Barca game.