IGNORED

Shelvey To Rs

Firstly I'd like to make 2 apologies in advance, 1) sorry if this is the wrong place for this and 2) sorry if I'm being stupid

With the news that the RS have agreed terms to sign Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton I'm a bit confused partly as to why he'd want to go to those tossers (probably offered him silly money) but mainly how come they are managing to sign him on May 10th cos as far as I knew the transfer window opens at the start of June and certainly after the end of the season. As far as I'm aware he's got a contract for longer than that so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how this is possible???

Also if anyone can explain to me why Charlton are willing to lose a player prior to the play-offs they seem likely to be involved in then all the better!!!

Once again sorry if it's just me missing something

Firstly I'd like to make 2 apologies in advance, 1) sorry if this is the wrong place for this and 2) sorry if I'm being stupid

With the news that the RS have agreed terms to sign Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton I'm a bit confused partly as to why he'd want to go to those tossers (probably offered him silly money) but mainly how come they are managing to sign him on May 10th cos as far as I knew the transfer window opens at the start of June and certainly after the end of the season. As far as I'm aware he's got a contract for longer than that so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how this is possible???

Also if anyone can explain to me why Charlton are willing to lose a player prior to the play-offs they seem likely to be involved in then all the better!!!

Once again sorry if it's just me missing something

You can agree deals etc. before the window opens. Those are all done via standard business contract law.

Where the football rules come in is the fact that you can't transfer the REGISTRATION of a player outside of the transfer windows (barring free agency).

So basically you can agree deals, but the player cannot play for their new team (and therefore he's still eligible for Charlton) until the transfer window opens.

The deal is actually going through on May 10th though Ian, that's when he's officially joining the shite.

I have no idea how that's working then. I'd like to know if he's eligible for Liverpool from that date then or if he has to wait for the window?

Edited by Grarghsies

The deal is actually going through on May 10th though Ian, that's when he's officially joining the shite.

The season closes on Sunday may 9th so i would think once the season has finished, the transfer window opens. :)

According to the rules, each national football association decides on the registration periods used in that association. FIFA mandates two registration periods. The first registration periods starts at the end of the season and may not exceed 12 weeks. The second registration period occurs during the season and may not exceed 4 weeks.

Has that cleared it up for you.

According to the rules, each national football association decides on the registration periods used in that association. FIFA mandates two registration periods. The first registration periods starts at the end of the season and may not exceed 12 weeks. The second registration period occurs during the season and may not exceed 4 weeks.

Surely though this says the transfer window may not exceed 12 weeks so therefore as it closes at the end of August then May 10th is far too early to be within that window, so still none the wiser I'm just surprises how hard I've found it to find anything more out about the situation as noone seems to be questioning it elsewhere.

Oh well thanks anyway for your thoughts on this

Guest Reg Reagan

another young player's career ruined so early by joining the redshites.

what a shame, has so much potential and possibly ended his career at a very young age of 18.