IGNORED

Elite Player Performance Plan (Eppp)

Louis

http://www.telegraph...h-football.html

One of the most significant changes will be to get rid of reserve team football and replace it with an Under-21 development league.

The idea is to create a competitive environment for young players that the reserve league does not currently provide. There will be dispensation for a restricted number of overage players to be part of the squad.

Participation in the league will be mandatory for Premier League clubs.

The second important development will be the creation of an independent authority to grade academies, much like the one that operates in the German Bundesliga.

The body will be created this summer and will, from next season, begin to grade academies with a mark of one to four, with grade one academies being the best.

Centre of Excellences will disappear. In the long term this would facilitate the movement of players up the academy food chain — a development that will doubtless meet resistance from the Football League.

There have also been discussions about the loosening of the rule that youth players must live within a 90 minute commute of their club.

Some Premier League executives have questioned if the rule would stand up to legal challenge and there have been talks about creating a new rule that would allow the best players to join the best academies, if they so choose.

The EPPP goes in front of the Premier League’s shareholders on Feb 3 and the new rules are expected to be voted through at the AGM in June, in time to be implemented next season.

The plan has been put together by the Premier League’s youth development group which is made up of Ged Roddy (Premier League director of youth), Ivan Gazidis (Arsenal chief executive), Brian McClair (Manchester United Academy director), Neil Bath (Chelsea Academy director), Jez Moxey (Wolves chief executive), Terry Westley (Birmingham Academy director), Duncan Riddle (Aston Villa’s Head of Community) and Mike Foster (Premier League General Secretary).

• 4 months later...

http://www.telegraph...with-Barca.html

Academy regulations state that young players can receive no more than 3,760 ‘contact time’ hours on the training pitch up to the age of 21.

But under the leadership of Ged Roddy, who spent 17 years as director of sport at the University of Bath, the Premier League’s Elite Player Performance Plan is moving towards a blueprint that will result in English youngsters narrowing the coaching gap.

Young players at the Ajax academy in Holland and Barcelona’s La Masia facility, which adopted the Ajax model under former Barcelona coach Johan Cruyff in the early-1990s, can expect to receive 7,000-8,000 hours of coaching between the ages of 10-18.

Why is nobody interested? :(

It's a proposal going forward this month that Premier League clubs:

Scrap the rule which indicates players can only be in the academy if they live within 90minutes of the club

Introduce an residential school for prospective players

Increase the number of coaching hours to academy players from 3,000 to 8-10,000 during their time in the academy

In short, we could nab a load of kids from Africa/Asia/Americas for our academy, as could any other club. It'll probably strengthen the larger club's academies, but will it be to the detriment of other clubs in the country?

I'm interested to see what people think.

The plan has been put together by the Premier League’s youth development group which is made up of Ged Roddy (Premier League director of youth), Ivan Gazidis (Arsenal chief executive), Brian McClair (Manchester United Academy director), Neil Bath (Chelsea Academy director), Jez Moxey (Wolves chief executive), Terry Westley (Birmingham Academy director), Duncan Riddle (Aston Villa’s Head of Community) and Mike Foster (Premier League General Secretary).

Am i being a bat, or have we not got a representative in this? Do Everton not want this then?

I'm interested Louis, but i fear its bad for the game. The English game at least>? Yes we can go and nab some kids from around the world and play them more in their respective age group but is this not a negative, or have i understood it wrong?

You've understood it correctly. The example often given is Lionel Messi at Barcelona. I've had a look at the Premier League site and I can't find any minutes/agendas for the meetings, yet people are up in arms about FIFA. Let's look closer to home when asking for transparency eh?

Everton had no say in putting it together. I think Robert Elstone and/or Bill Kenwright are Everton's representative at the Premier League AGM.

Im sure Everton's view would be to encourage the local talent and it maybe a reason as to them not being represented on this matter. I know DM tries to encourage local lads to step-up and work towards being a first team player; hence why he always uses Osman and Hibbert as examples, so all in all i'm about "meh" about this situation.

If the FA were truely interested in improving the national team and home national youth development, then surely they would have scrapped this?

Or is it a case of? The papers say the Dutch and Germans have a great development network, so we want that too!?

Why is nobody interested? :(

It's a proposal going forward this month that Premier League clubs:

Scrap the rule which indicates players can only be in the academy if they live within 90minutes of the club

Introduce an residential school for prospective players

Increase the number of coaching hours to academy players from 3,000 to 8-10,000 during their time in the academy

In short, we could nab a load of kids from Africa/Asia/Americas for our academy, as could any other club. It'll probably strengthen the larger club's academies, but will it be to the detriment of other clubs in the country?

I'm interested to see what people think.

we can only do that if kids are found by the scouts. I suppose the terms that can offered needs to be seriously considered, otherwise youre right saying the bigger clubs will benefit the most. It doesnt say that the youngsters wont be local lads still, just seems to offer a little more diversity. If ive read correctly that is, im speed reading at work....

I think the extra time spent training young players and the idea of a competetive under-21 league will make a big difference to the quality of young players coming through. Whatever this training model Ajax and Barcelona use is, hopefully we can adopt a similar one when the changes come in. Don't like the idea of filling our acadamy with foreign talent though I think we should be trying to bring through the next generation of homegrown players, for the sake of the national team aswell.

If they can impliment a rule which states that a team can only compete in this 'elite' league, IF they have at least 5 members of the team who live locally or nationally, then fine. But for me, this could hinder the national team and ironically strengthen other international sides!?

until the kids game is revamped at lower level then nothing will change.

got 10 year old kids on full size pitches playing 11 a side.

its a joke, kids should be playing 5 a side, then 7 a side, then 11 a side at maybe 15/16.

The likes of Rooney, Jeffers, Baxter, Royle, Vaughan and Rodwell made their Everton debuts as 16 year olds, how could that happen if they had never even played 11 a side before?

The likes of Rooney, Jeffers, Baxter, Royle, Vaughan and Rodwell made their Everton debuts as 16 year olds, how could that happen if they had never even played 11 a side before?

The likes of messi, xavi, iniesta, robinho, robaldinho, ronaldo, kaka, and most other south American footballers have been brought up on small sided games.

Trevor Brooking has been pushing this for years.

Apart from their debuts, not many of your list were regulars at that age, mostly just the odd game.

If you have a ten year old kid, only four foot tall and put him in goal on a full size, how does that make sense?

How did you find it mike?

Didn't really give it any thought....that was just how it was. Think we "only" played 35mins each half though.

Loved every minute of it :) .

We'd won the league one year, I must've been ten, with one game left which was against Brookwood. They were bottom and had conceded about fifteen goals every game so we were obviously going to spank them good!

One of the parents turned up with a cine camera (no such thing as a home video back then) to record the slaughter and I think maybe we played up to it a bit. Went 1-0 down with ten minutes to go and our keeper burst into tears :lol: .

Won 3-1 in the end.

Probably told that story before :lol: . And I know I've posted this pic before (Alan Ball white boots give me away). Sorry about the colour :unsure: .

jacobswell2.jpg

Trivia...

Back row extreme left is Howard Smith....drummer on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

http://www.dawn.com/...e-shopping.html

"It is an endorsement of the good work going on in the academy system that academies are developing players of the quality of Henderson and Jones and attracting that level of interest from that level of clubs," a Premier League spokesman said.

"What we need to do is to develop even more of those players and that is what the Elite Player Performance Plan is designed to do."

I played on a full size pitch too when I was younger, hated it, it seemed to take ages to get back to defend! ;)

Didn't really give it any thought....that was just how it was. Think we "only" played 35mins each half though.

Loved every minute of it :) .

We'd won the league one year, I must've been ten, with one game left which was against Brookwood. They were bottom and had conceded about fifteen goals every game so we were obviously going to spank them good!

One of the parents turned up with a cine camera (no such thing as a home video back then) to record the slaughter and I think maybe we played up to it a bit. Went 1-0 down with ten minutes to go and our keeper burst into tears :lol: .

Won 3-1 in the end.

Probably told that story before :lol: . And I know I've posted this pic before (Alan Ball white boots give me away). Sorry about the colour :unsure: .

jacobswell2.jpg

Trivia...

Back row extreme left is Howard Smith....drummer on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

At 1:21 you can tell its him. The eyes and shape of his face. Which one are you Mike?

You must have fancied yoruself as a player wearing white boots Mike, also whats with the lad of the far rights boots??

It was 70/71...Alan Ball was God, my bedroom wall was covered in pics of him.

That's Peter Harris....him and the kid next to him (Peter Meredith, who I later shared a flat with in London) were perennial non-playing subs, both little brothers of players on the team. Maybe he didn't have any....nice wellies though!

Had the same eleven every week, no-one was ever injured or ill :lol: .

• 4 months later...