IGNORED

The Tesco Value Thread

Let's face it we're not going to have a lot to play with this summer even if we sell so here's some players who would be decent/realistic additions in my opinion within our modest budget...

GK-

Westwood - free - competition for Howard

Green - sure I've read he's free - replacement should we sell Howard

Full backs -

Torres - free - only on the basis we've been linked

Naughton - £? - has played well for Leicester (would prefer Walker but he'll no doubt be in and around spurs starting XI)

Little - £? - young Peterborough attacking RB, looks very good whenever I've seen him

Clyne - £? - Palace RB, maybe as part of a deal taking Vaughan to them

Centre Backs -

Upson - free - if we sold Distin for a few mil then he would be worth bringing in short term to invest in other areas

Chambers - free - has looked decent whenever I've watched Forest

Mancienne - £? - his versatility anywhere across the back 4 is appealing - still think he'll turn out decent

Wingers -

Larsson - free - not a huge fan but he can deliver a quality ball from the right and a set piece, which we lack

Vaughan - free - hard working 'Moyes-type player'

McGugan - £? - looks like Forests star player, tricky and lively

Centre Mid -

Moussi - free - only put him here as we've been linked, personally think he looks very clumsey

Scholes - £? - yes Paul Scholes - he wants more game time - we could offer it here especially if we were to lose felli or rodwell - ridiculous maybe but what a player to have short term for Barkley/Baxter etc to learn from

Strikers -

Klose - free - not a chance in my opinion but he would be a class signing for a couple of seasons

Nugent - free - why not? He's not too old... he's lost his way a little but if we lose Vaughan then he would give his all for the team he supports

Bothroyd - free - not too dis-similar to Zamora at Fulham - that seems to have worked out - no way my first choice but he'd be a good 'bully' type striker to bring on late in games

Borini - free (with tribunal) - would be a good little signing in my opinion

Please take this apart/ agree with some and add own suggestions. It's clear we need squad players and it's clear we are going to lose some of our current fringe players... obviously if we sell for a decent fee I'd expect bigger signings but some of these would be decent addtions.

Thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hargreaves and owen worth a shot? both great players when fit, could give the team that extra bit of class like king louie has

er Owen has been rubbish for years, and im sure we have members on here who were not even born the last time Hargreaves was fit lol

Edited by theprisoner

Owen took his goal well, maybe a good option for us...

One well taken goal and he's a good option? sorry scouse, but its a definite no. If we play one up front, do you think Owen will last 10 minutes? He'd get battered, you need someone who can hold their own up-front hence why Beckford is on the floor far too often

One well taken goal and he's a good option? sorry scouse, but its a definite no. If we play one up front, do you think Owen will last 10 minutes? He'd get battered, you need someone who can hold their own up-front hence why Beckford is on the floor far too often

agreed, also we need someone with abit of strength up there, and movement, we don't need another small striker, neither Cahill or Saha are the biggest, and Beckford does get knocked off the ball sometimes quite easy, even Victor has the power but no skills and he is not the tallest either, Owen would be a complete waste of time i reckon, there was something yesterday somewhere about Bothroyd from Cardiff on a free, more the sort of player, but i have no idea how good he is

Edited by theprisoner

All the signs are actually pointing towards us signing him tbh, it's a lot like the rumours we were hearing about Beckford at the end of last season. I was dead against the Beckford and that's turned out OK, so I hope, if this is true, it turns out like that again.

If we signed him surely that would mean Moyes is thinking of 442?

I was thinking more along the lines of his proven ability, agreed he wouldnt fit with our current set up as a loan striker but he would be a good option to bring on or play with 2 uptop, surely between him a Saha we would get 20 games from them :rolleyes: .. I think Owen could still do a job in the Prem.

Good shout on Luke Chambers. Seen him play a few times this season and he looks a top player to me. I thought he had another year on his contract though but could be wrong. Would like to see this happen, especially if we see Yobo and/or Heitinga leave.

I imagine Bothroyd will be an Everton player next season too, too tempting for Moyes not to.

A former England striker on a bosman should not be sniffed at, that applies to Owen too. Although his wage demands will be in the "finest" category.

I imagine Bothroyd will be an Everton player next season too, too tempting for Moyes not to.

A former England striker on a bosman should not be sniffed at, that applies to Owen too. Although his wage demands will be in the "finest" category.

hmm, i would rather see that DJ Cambell from Blackpool if we are talking Bosmans, he's scored a decent amount of goals considering the team he is playing for, always looks hungry for the ball, reckon he would be a decent Bosman for us.