IGNORED

Pre-Season: Birmingham (Away)

duncanmckenzieismagic

First half we were very poor, Brum looked a lot more ready and up for it. They pressured the ball really well and had a couple of chances, getting behind our back line on more than a few occasions. We were a bit better in the second half. But not really until after we'd scored the second goal, which seemed to deflate them a little. Bainesy scored first with a signature free kick just from outside the area, then Saha came on and scored a cracker into the bottom corner of the goal from about 20-odd yards out. That second goal did seem to deflate Brum, and we looked a lot more comfortable from then on. Brum got one back late on with a cheeky backheel from Adam Rooney.

They don't look like a bad team to be honest, well organised and passed it well, outnumbered us in midfield and restricted us, at least in the first half, to playing a failing long ball game. Two of their players Adam Rooney and Nathan Redmond looked lively, Yak came on also in the second half and ran around a bit, but didn't really have any clear chances to speak of.

The worrying thing for me, is that until Saha came on, we didn't really look like threatening them ... at all; we had maybe two, three chances in the first half, but none of them on target; Howard was by far the busiest keeper up until half time. I hate to say it, but if Saha get's injured, it could be a very frustrating season again for us.

the game was crap,first half birmingham well on top some nice saves from tim, looked better when distin and cahill came on.

the centre back pairing didnt look to good we were weak in the air,2 nice goals by us,glad to see ross barkley come on for a little cameo plus nearly scored in the last seconds,i think moyes is trying to get his fitness right up there with the rest of the squad.

roll on breman though that will be a harder game.

First half we were very poor, Brum looked a lot more ready and up for it. They pressured the ball really well and had a couple of chances, getting behind our back line on more than a few occasions. We were a bit better in the second half. But not really until after we'd scored the second goal, which seemed to deflate them a little. Bainesy scored first with a signature free kick just from outside the area, then Saha came on and scored a cracker into the bottom corner of the goal from about 20-odd yards out. That second goal did seem to deflate Brum, and we looked a lot more comfortable from then on. Brum got one back late on with a cheeky backheel from Adam Rooney.

They don't look like a bad team to be honest, well organised and passed it well, outnumbered us in midfield and restricted us, at least in the first half, to playing a failing long ball game. Two of their players Adam Rooney and Nathan Redmond looked lively, Yak came on also in the second half and ran around a bit, but didn't really have any clear chances to speak of.

The worrying thing for me, is that until Saha came on, we didn't really look like threatening them ... at all; we had maybe two, three chances in the first half, but none of them on target; Howard was by far the busiest keeper up until half time. I hate to say it, but if Saha get's injured, it could be a very frustrating season again for us.

Both sound a lot like last season tbh and we cant blame the heat this time like the 2 friendlies in the States. The Bremen game looks like it is going to be the acid test in some ways. I expect a fairly full strength team to be playing and the players should be fairly sharp by now. They are a good side but one we should be beating and if they dominate the same way it sounds Brum did then we could be in for a bit of a humbling.

I thought it was a typical friendly really. No real challenges being made and it looked like we could up the tempo as and when required, which really should be expected, and which we did in the second half.

Friendlies such as this game can be looked at two ways, a fitness, sharpness enhancer, trying out new formations players etc or the chance to hammer a supposed inferior team, which to me means very little towards the bigger picture. I don't think Spurs will be too worried at conceding two to Brighton yesterday, likewise Sunderland being beaten by Burnley and even Liverpool being beaten 3-0 by Hull last week.

The Bremen, Villareal games should indicate how we are progressing fitnesswise and teamwise. I am sure if you check recent pre-season you will see a run of good results does not necessarily mean a great season and vice versa.

On a side note, and I don't know what squad Birmingham have, but from the starting line up I think they had just four players who played regularly in the Premiership last season and won a cup to guarantee a European slot. Maybe a pointer to how not to be grateful for foreign ownership.

I think Moyes knows this and it probably frustrates him too. We are a first team winger and striker away from challenging 4th place - it's so frustrating to us all!