IGNORED

Rooney vs Pele

Heard Fergie's comments today about comparing Rooney to Pele

What does everyone think? im not so sure you can compare the 2 tbh, football in Pele's day was very different to football now, and i dont even think Rooney is as good as Ronaldo, let alone Messi and tbh from what i have seen, imo i would say Maradona was better than Pele anyway

Heard Fergie's comments today about comparing Rooney to Pele

What does everyone think? im not so sure you can compare the 2 tbh, football in Pele's day was very different to football now, and i dont even think Rooney is as good as Ronaldo, let alone Messi and tbh from what i have seen, imo i would say Maradona was better than Pele anyway

Good comparison, as in they are both very good, but over-rated.

Surely Fergie's been at the gin again! To me Maradona was the most gifted player since pele, mind you the real hardcore Brazilian supporters who were around at the time say that Garrincha had the better skill. Anyway, if Rooney is all that let him go to Fulham and win the premier league, not once but twice like Maradona did with Napoli.

Good comparison, as in they are both very good, but over-rated.

Definitely. I thought it was just me that felt that about Pele. Cruyff, Maradona were much better. Ferguson actually thought Bobby Charlton was the best player ever and I have some sympathy with that. I don't think Rooney has ever really become 'great', or will ever be.

Edited by formby

Rooney hasn't played in a decent national side to be fair to him, while the others won the World Cup with their respective teams and became famous as a result. Had Rooney won the World Cup then I'm sure the historians would be creaming themselves.

Rooney ain't good enough to win a world on his own, Maradona 86, Rossi 82, Kempes78 Garrincha 62, shit i forgot Zidane 98, any one else that I have not put down?

think it was fergie trying to hype rooney up, keep his confidence sky high with these comments.

he is a GREAT player imo. he is in a fantastic team, but the goals he is scoring and the complete all round play in his game have stepped up a notch in the half dozen games this season.

for me though, Maradona all the way.

30-40 years between them right? Football has changed dramatically, you cant compare the 2.

think it was fergie trying to hype rooney up, keep his confidence sky high with these comments.

he is a GREAT player imo. he is in a fantastic team, but the goals he is scoring and the complete all round play in his game have stepped up a notch in the half dozen games this season.

for me though, Maradona all the way.

Spot on. There are very few better than him at the moment, only one 1 can think of is Messi who i think is the greatest of all time.

Edited by Matt

ive only seen messi in the odd game here and there (wasnt impressed in the world cup, but great for barca) and as good as he is, the intensity of maradona everytime he got the ball just excited me like no other player has.

he was disgraced at WC94, but the way he still played like that in his late career was just another level.

i dont doubt messi will end up as the most decorated player ever, just wish he had a bit of nasty.

ive only seen messi in the odd game here and there (wasnt impressed in the world cup, but great for barca) and as good as he is, the intensity of maradona everytime he got the ball just excited me like no other player has.

he was disgraced at WC94, but the way he still played like that in his late career was just another level.

i dont doubt messi will end up as the most decorated player ever, just wish he had a bit of nasty.

And I wish Everton had a bit of Messi. *sigh*