IGNORED

Unsworth.

Bill

Why are loads of sites claiming Darren Ferguson has been sacked as opposed to Brown?

Just who was the mystery manager? laugh.png

David Unsworth made Preston North End caretaker boss

_46459921_david_unsworth.jpg

Unsworth joined Preston's backroom staff in September 2009

Preston have appointed first-team coach David Unsworth as caretaker boss following Darren Ferguson's sacking.

Former Everton defender Unsworth, 37, will take charge for Saturday's Championship clash at home to Derby.

The club also confirmed assistant manager Kevin Russell has been sacked from his position at Deepdale.

Ferguson, 38, was dismissed on Wednesday, less than a year after taking charge, with North End bottom of the Championship.

Ferguson told the League Managers Association website: "It is obviously very disappointing. More time was needed to achieve our objectives.

"I believed in what we were doing at the club from top to bottom and that we had the ability to turn things around."

Chairman Maurice Lindsay said Unsworth's appointment was a good one for Preston. o.gif

606: DEBATE

Have your say on this temporary appointment

"We are delighted David has agreed to take care of the club at a difficult time - it couldn't be in better hands," Lindsay stated.

"David is a Preston man. He loves the club and is one of the most enthusiastic people in football. He will have the full support of the club and the players."

Unsworth joined Preston as an under-13 but signed schoolboy terms with Everton when he turned 14.

Meanwhile Manchester United, managed by Ferguson's father Sir Alex, have recalled Joshua King and Ritchie de Laet from their respective loan deals at Deepdale.

The duo were due to be available to Preston for their next two games but United have exercised a clause allowing them an early recall.

Unsworth is still feasibly at an age to be player-manager if he were so inclined, he seems to have been around for ages, I first got news of him I think in a game with Spurs about 1992, it was a 3-3 draw if memory serves and he scored that day from some way out

Following on from Moyes in a Preston managerial capacity it's even within the realms of possibilty he could be a future manager at Goodison Park one day, the fans would take to him like a duck to water.

I always remember him on the Cup Final day for his agressive work on Hughes in that he was able to match the player physically, he played a pivotal part that day in winning our last domestic trophy

Unsworth is still feasibly at an age to be player-manager if he were so inclined, he seems to have been around for ages, I first got news of him I think in a game with Spurs about 1992, it was a 3-3 draw if memory serves and he scored that day from some way out

Following on from Moyes in a Preston managerial capacity it's even within the realms of possibilty he could be a future manager at Goodison Park one day, the fans would take to him like a duck to water.

I always remember him on the Cup Final day for his agressive work on Hughes in that he was able to match the player physically, he played a pivotal part that day in winning our last domestic trophy

I agree with that bit, it was one of the best displays i had seen from a young centre half, why the f**k would anybody want to switch him to fullback.

Meanwhile Manchester United, managed by Ferguson's father Sir Alex, have recalled Joshua King and Ritchie de Laet from their respective loan deals at Deepdale.

The duo were due to be available to Preston for their next two games but United have exercised a clause allowing them an early recall.

Anyone else thinks this smells of sour grapes by Fergie senior?

Maybe he trusted his players development with Brown, now they have only a caretaker in charge, he might want them somewhere more stable.

That maybe the case with those two but Welbeck and I can't remember the other lad who was there was a different story, Fergie throws his toy's out of his pram far to often, He is a tit of the highest order.

I completely agree with the Welbeck one, but then it was his son they fired.

And yes, he is a tit, but a damn good one at what he does.

Is a tit anything other :)On Unsworth I hope he has a cracking start and they keep him on It would be great to see him move into management and do well

My favorite Unsworth memory was the 1995 FA Cup quarter final against Newcastle. Watching him and David Watson working in tandem during that match still gives me the horn. It was a beautiful thing. We could do with a few Unsworths in the team today. I also remember that match for Ferguson taking Darren Peacock apart with a few elbows/knee combos.

Scored first goal for us in Moysies first game against fulham.. The guys got heart and would run through walls for us, I loved him (metaphorically!!).. Best PL pen conversion rate I think?

No, that would have been Le Tissier here if we talk of overall players for premiership clubs since it's inception in 1992/93

Matthew had like 48 successes out of 49 attempts or something I remember reading, or put it another way, he only ever missed one I think in 10 years as an EPL player with Saints, nobody else comes near