IGNORED

Barkley video interview

Louis

I really don't know, like u said it seems Moyes is not ready to play him, I think he should be given a run in the team, but I suppose that's why I'm not a prem manager wink.png

I ask, only as there must be a reason why he isn't being played. If he was good enough, or fit enough, or mentally ready, surely Moyes would play him. The fact he 'isn't' being played suggests there is a reason. Barkley must be happy with the situation, as he has just signed a contract. We need to trust Moyes a bit more.

I ask, only as there must be a reason why he isn't being played. If he was good enough, or fit enough, or mentally ready, surely Moyes would play him. The fact he 'isn't' being played suggests there is a reason. Barkley must be happy with the situation, as he has just signed a contract. We need to trust Moyes a bit more.

Moyes said the other week that he has looked off the pace in training and that is why he hasnt been playing him, he put him back in the youth team for the last round of the cup to give him some game time and by all accounts he had a blinder

Moyes said the other week that he has looked off the pace in training and that is why he hasnt been playing him, he put him back in the youth team for the last round of the cup to give him some game time and by all accounts he had a blinder

If only he would drop players down to the reserves who look off the pace in Premier League games. You know, where it really matters.

I'm not having a pop at Moyes for dropping Barkley down to his age level, it might do him some good (I hope so anyway), but he needs to show the same sort of ruthlessness to others.

Message to mr moyes, Cahill and Neville have been off the pace in the matches and they have had loyalty. Barkley had a poor 10 minutes in a game and he was subbed - allegedly left Ewood devastated.

The lad has more quality than Cahill and Neville put together and he has had his confidence shattered IMO. Play him behind the striker, give him the free role, allow him to express himself and tell him no matter what he is getting 90 minutes. Hopefully that will get his confidence back.

I think Moyes is handling this situation well.

Our whole team is low on confidence and generally not playing well, everyone can see that. Now should he throw someone who is clearly not mature mentally (physically he is mature) to go and save the team and turn it around? IMO no he shouldn't. That type of pressure would 'devastate' Barkley if he has a bad game and we lose. Cahill and Neville, for example, can handle that sort of pressure as they are experienced players.

The team generally needs to be on the up and playing with better confidence before integrating Barkley back in to it. It is the same reason Vellios is not featuring much recently, he seemed to feel the pressure of our poor performances too.

Barkley went in to the youth cup and he did have a very good game, probably because he didn't feel as much pressure as he would playing right now in the 1st team.

Rooney was more mentally mature, although a loose cannon at times, than Barkley at the age of 17. You could see why he was playing every week in a poor performing team.

One other point, look back at the QPR footage. Barkley had a great debut but his enthusiasm means he takes a lot of long range shots, may be that is something we could do with (shots at goal!) but it also means conceding a lot of possession. Just a thought.

Our whole team is low on confidence and generally not playing well, everyone can see that. Now should he throw someone who is clearly not mature mentally (physically he is mature) to go and save the team and turn it around? IMO no he shouldn't. That type of pressure would 'devastate' Barkley if he has a bad game and we lose. Cahill and Neville, for example, can handle that sort of pressure as they are experienced players.

The team generally needs to be on the up and playing with better confidence before integrating Barkley back in to it. It is the same reason Vellios is not featuring much recently, he seemed to feel the pressure of our poor performances too.

Barkley went in to the youth cup and he did have a very good game, probably because he didn't feel as much pressure as he would playing right now in the 1st team.

Rooney was more mentally mature, although a loose cannon at times, than Barkley at the age of 17. You could see why he was playing every week in a poor performing team.

One other point, look back at the QPR footage. Barkley had a great debut but his enthusiasm means he takes a lot of long range shots, may be that is something we could do with (shots at goal!) but it also means conceding a lot of possession. Just a thought.

Can see your point, it would help his cause if we played better, trouble is we are struggling now and seem to be constantly so maybe a bit of youthful enthusiasm might help us.

Can see your point, it would help his cause if we played better, trouble is we are struggling now and seem to be constantly so maybe a bit of youthful enthusiasm might help us.

agreed.. he should be given game time.. people are looking into things too much .. moyes obviously has always had his "favourite" players but right now its not working... A new tactic or formation needs to be tested in a prem match, ok if it backfires we can all pipe down but at the moment what hes doing is boring and stale.. i know for a fact home matches just arent exciting anymore, no one can even be assed singing.

Totally agree but that would deny the conspiracy theorists a chance to play the "Moyes has his favourites" card

With all due respect, I think thats a load of crap. I do understand what you are trying to say and I guess you maybe have a point with the pressure aspect if Barkley, McAleny, Vellios etc etc were starting every game and were in a team with several youngsters, but they arent and when the experienced players are horribly out of form, it is doing no-one any good whatsoever keeping them on the field when they arent performing. I cant see a single benefit.

The long shot thing would again hold more weight if the aforementioned 'experienced' players were giving the ball away and wasting possession several times each game, but unfortunately they are. If anything, we are crying out for someone to have a go, even if it is for 30mins at the end of a game to try something different.

Players shouldnt be making the starting line-up at the expense of the team performance. Against Sunderland we had Distin coming back in, with Neville, Cahill starting again, Osman moved wide and even McFadden coming off the bench very much supporting the 'favourites' arguement ( 67.gif ). They were all below par, they did nothing whatsoever to improve the dynamic of the team, and while you could understand Neville or Distin starting because of the absence of Fellaini, there was no way we should have seen such changes, especially coming off the back of one of our best performances this season. I am certainly not saying that all the kids should be starting our next game, but there have been chances to get Barkley involved in games that would suit him and Moyes has declined virtually everytime, Vellios has only started games where he would clearly be up against it and Gueye is only getting the chances because of injuries. Coleman even started with an injury ahead of Gueye against Swansea (theres another one for you Dunc tongue.png ) .

Again, dont mean any disrespect but I think you're almost making excuses for Moyes.

With all due respect, I think thats a load of crap. I do understand what you are trying to say and I guess you maybe have a point with the pressure aspect if Barkley, McAleny, Vellios etc etc were starting every game and were in a team with several youngsters, but they arent and when the experienced players are horribly out of form, it is doing no-one any good whatsoever keeping them on the field when they arent performing. I cant see a single benefit.

The long shot thing would again hold more weight if the aforementioned 'experienced' players were giving the ball away and wasting possession several times each game, but unfortunately they are. If anything, we are crying out for someone to have a go, even if it is for 30mins at the end of a game to try something different.

Players shouldnt be making the starting line-up at the expense of the team performance. Against Sunderland we had Distin coming back in, with Neville, Cahill starting again, Osman moved wide and even McFadden coming off the bench very much supporting the 'favourites' arguement ( 67.gif ). They were all below par, they did nothing whatsoever to improve the dynamic of the team, and while you could understand Neville or Distin starting because of the absence of Fellaini, there was no way we should have seen such changes, especially coming off the back of one of our best performances this season. I am certainly not saying that all the kids should be starting our next game, but there have been chances to get Barkley involved in games that would suit him and Moyes has declined virtually everytime, Vellios has only started games where he would clearly be up against it and Gueye is only getting the chances because of injuries. Coleman even started with an injury ahead of Gueye against Swansea (theres another one for you Dunc tongue.png ) .

Again, dont mean any disrespect but I think you're almost making excuses for Moyes.

If we all agreed life would be very dull. :)

Every team has their favourite players (I would define favourite as being players that form the core of a team rather than the manager's drinking buddies), even other team managers do...so I don't see why we should be any different. Hasn't Neil Warnock signed Paddy Kenny three times for three different clubs?

What games do you think 'suit Barkley'? I think every game suits him and as a fan I want our brightest prospect since Rooney to be playing every game, but I don't think we have the team (or form/confidence) to allow that in its present state. I firmly believe that our views as fans are so 1 dimensional because we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, we have to have some faith in the management and in particular Moyes. What if Barkley is showing the signs of becoming another Michael Johnson (remember him?) - now I am not saying he is but we have to be reasonable in our opinions, which are always voiced more passionately when the team isn't performing. In fact, only a week or so ago I said on here that I am losing faith in Moyes generally and that still stands, but on this particular issue I don't think there is such a big issue (again, IMO). Barkley will get his chances and he will take them, I hope he bags a goal and celebrates in front of me in the Gwladys Street end, then he can run over to Moyes and show him the name on the back of his shirt.

The one immediate thing Moyes needs to do is drop Saha...drop him off at the airport to go back to France. He is getting that very wrong, very very wrong right now.

Right now our team needs creativity, a bit of flair. Moyes seems very reluctant to opt for the players who give us those options. Even when he does he is needlessly critical - drenthe.

Barkley needs bringing in, simple as that.

You wont be surprised to know that I completely disagree!

Especially where Drenthe is concerned. In his first few games Drenthe completely abandoned his defensive duties and left the fullback exposed however in the couple of games that he has played since Moyes made those comments he has been infinitely better defensively whilst still being a threat going forward. So in short Moyse's comments had the desired effect.

Moyse cant win with some fans, when he stuck with Arteta, who was our only flair, he was lambasted for "having his favourites" yet if he drops him those same fans cliam that he is reluctant to use flair players

You only have to look as far as Cahill and Neville to see the proof of that, They are both percieved to be amongst "Moyse's Favourites" yet neither are in the starting XI when we have everyone is fit

I would love to see Barkley become a regular but if Moyes feels it is right to pull him out of the limelight for a while then so be it, I still think he is a good manager and so I trust him

You wont be surprised to know that I completely disagree!

Especially where Drenthe is concerned. In his first few games Drenthe completely abandoned his defensive duties and left the fullback exposed however in the couple of games that he has played since Moyes made those comments he has been infinitely better defensively whilst still being a threat going forward. So in short Moyse's comments had the desired effect.

Moyse cant win with some fans, when he stuck with Arteta, who was our only flair, he was lambasted for "having his favourites" yet if he drops him those same fans cliam that he is reluctant to use flair players

You only have to look as far as Cahill and Neville to see the proof of that, They are both percieved to be amongst "Moyse's Favourites" yet neither are in the starting XI when we have everyone is fit

I would love to see Barkley become a regular but if Moyes feels it is right to pull him out of the limelight for a while then so be it, I still think he is a good manager and so I trust him

I'm afraid moyes may be at the stage where he can't see the woods for the trees. Complicates things because of his defensive beliefs.

He was playing arteta deep when his form was horrible, when he moved him out wide bingo! He refound some attacking flair - he then moved him deep again?! He needed to be advanced, he is not a defensive midfielder.

Too much was made of drenthes defensive frailties. I don't think he was as bad as moyes has made out - at all. He plays defensive midfielders all over the show who can more than adequately cover whilst drenthe remains the outlet for a counter attack.

Cahill and Neville have stunk the place out in virtually every game this season. Putting pressure on the team with sloppy passes, woeful movement off the ball. Because he dropped them a couple of times is hardly an indication that he doesn't have favourites, quite simply they should have been playing reserve team football based on the level they have been at.

I would sooner see drenthe or Barkley lose possession having a go rather than Neville floating one of his passes to the opposition or Cahill mis controlling - the outcome is the same but we stand a far better chance of success with the get up and go attitude of drenthe and Barkley.

Edited by Hafnia

I'm afraid moyes may be at the stage where he can't see the woods for the trees. Complicates things because of his defensive beliefs.

He was playing arteta deep when his form was horrible, when he moved him out wide bingo! He refound some attacking flair - he then moved him deep again?! He needed to be advanced, he is not a defensive midfielder.

Too much was made of drenthes defensive frailties. I don't think he was as bad as moyes has made out - at all. He plays defensive midfielders all over the show who can more than adequately cover whilst drenthe remains the outlet for a counter attack.

Cahill and Neville have stunk the place out in virtually every game this season. Putting pressure on the team with sloppy passes, woeful movement off the ball. Because he dropped them a couple of times is hardly an indication that he doesn't have favourites, quite simply they should have been playing reserve team football based on the level they have been at.

I would sooner see drenthe or Barkley lose possession having a go rather than Neville floating one of his passes to the opposition or Cahill mis controlling - the outcome is the same but we stand a far better chance of success with the get up and go attitude of drenthe and Barkley.

Correct me if Im wrong but the theory goes that Moyes always plays his so called favourites no matter what, well Neville in particular has been dropped all season not just a couple of times. He has only got a game when we have had injuries so surely that dispells the theory??

Who exactly are Moyes favourites anyway?? We only have a waifer thin squad so surely some players are going to be called upon time after time either way

Your slagging Neville and Cahill off for putting pressure on the team with woeful passes yet you ignore the fact that Drenthe was doing exactly the same (City away for example). Surely you can see the improvement in Drenthe in the past couple of games?

Im not defending Cahill or Neville as I agree they have both been poor but they have also both been dropped, which is why Im confused about this "favourites" thing

If we all agreed life would be very dull. smile.png

Every team has their favourite players (I would define favourite as being players that form the core of a team rather than the manager's drinking buddies), even other team managers do...so I don't see why we should be any different. Hasn't Neil Warnock signed Paddy Kenny three times for three different clubs?

What games do you think 'suit Barkley'? I think every game suits him and as a fan I want our brightest prospect since Rooney to be playing every game, but I don't think we have the team (or form/confidence) to allow that in its present state. I firmly believe that our views as fans are so 1 dimensional because we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, we have to have some faith in the management and in particular Moyes. What if Barkley is showing the signs of becoming another Michael Johnson (remember him?) - now I am not saying he is but we have to be reasonable in our opinions, which are always voiced more passionately when the team isn't performing. In fact, only a week or so ago I said on here that I am losing faith in Moyes generally and that still stands, but on this particular issue I don't think there is such a big issue (again, IMO). Barkley will get his chances and he will take them, I hope he bags a goal and celebrates in front of me in the Gwladys Street end, then he can run over to Moyes and show him the name on the back of his shirt.

The one immediate thing Moyes needs to do is drop Saha...drop him off at the airport to go back to France. He is getting that very wrong, very very wrong right now.

Your right, every team does have a core set of players, that for the most part, will play every week. However, at most clubs when a player is well below expectations he is dropped and someone else comes in. That is exactly what should happen, and while Moyes will drop the odd player here and there, you can bet that given the slightest opportunity they will back in next match or even on as a pointless sub. He also drops the like of Barkley for one mistake/average game yet some players have been consistently below par and play week in week out. Thats the crux of the matter imo.

The type of games I am referring to are where he can play with an element of freedom mainly (ie instead of Cahill) but I would mainly prefer to see him come on in games where we need that creative spark. Moyes bemoans the lack of flair in the team and then leaves his flairiest (?) players on the bench. I dont want to jump on the Barkley bandwagon like a lot of Evertonians are, but I think it is an oversight from Moyes that he hasnt had more game time, albeit for 20-30mins at the end of games we need to win.

Haha certainly wouldnt disagree with that last bit!

Correct me if Im wrong but the theory goes that Moyes always plays his so called favourites no matter what, well Neville in particular has been dropped all season not just a couple of times. He has only got a game when we have had injuries so surely that dispells the theory??

Who exactly are Moyes favourites anyway?? We only have a waifer thin squad so surely some players are going to be called upon time after time either way

Your slagging Neville and Cahill off for putting pressure on the team with woeful passes yet you ignore the fact that Drenthe was doing exactly the same (City away for example). Surely you can see the improvement in Drenthe in the past couple of games?

Im not defending Cahill or Neville as I agree they have both been poor but they have also both been dropped, which is why Im confused about this "favourites" thing

I know Cahill is Australian, but he is like a frigging boomerang in the Everton starting 11. He has been really poor all season and has been dropped for one maybe two games, yet he came on from the bench in both of them games (did nothing) and then started the following game WHEN the player who came in did a much better job. He is also played as a striker which he clearly isnt.

Again, yes Neville has been dropped, but at the earliest opportunity he is back in the team in his worst position and doesnt contribute to the team performance. I can understand him playing against Sunderland and possibly West Brom because of Fellaini's injury, but not against 2 crap teams at home.

The difference between Drenthe & Cahill/Neville in terms of ball retention is that the former is trying to do something that might win us a game. I thought he was poor against Sunderland but you could see he was desperate to try and do something that might win us the game. With Cahill/Neville they are just doing the basics and not doing them very well. I expect a Premiership player to be able to control the ball and play simple passes with ease, yet these two seem to be making it look difficult.

Edited by Bailey

Your right, every team does have a core set of players, that for the most part, will play every week. However, at most clubs when a player is well below expectations he is dropped and someone else comes in. That is exactly what should happen, and while Moyes will drop the odd player here and there, you can bet that given the slightest opportunity they will back in next match or even on as a pointless sub. He also drops the like of Barkley for one mistake/average game yet some players have been consistently below par and play week in week out. Thats the crux of the matter imo.

The type of games I am referring to are where he can play with an element of freedom mainly (ie instead of Cahill) but I would mainly prefer to see him come on in games where we need that creative spark. Moyes bemoans the lack of flair in the team and then leaves his flairiest (?) players on the bench. I dont want to jump on the Barkley bandwagon like a lot of Evertonians are, but I think it is an oversight from Moyes that he hasnt had more game time, albeit for 20-30mins at the end of games we need to win.

I know Cahill is Australian, but he is like a frigging boomerang in the Everton starting 11. He has been really poor all season and has been dropped for one maybe two games, yet he came on from the bench in both of them games (did nothing) and then started the following game WHEN the player who came in did a much better job. He is also played as a striker which he clearly isnt.

Again, yes Neville has been dropped, but at the earliest opportunity he is back in the team in his worst position and doesnt contribute to the team performance. I can understand him playing against Sunderland and possibly West Brom because of Fellaini's injury, but not against 2 crap teams at home.

The difference between Drenthe & Cahill/Neville in terms of ball retention is that the former is trying to do something that might win us a game. I thought he was poor against Sunderland but you could see he was desperate to try and do something that might win us the game. With Cahill/Neville they are just doing the basics and not doing them very well. I expect a Premiership player to be able to control the ball and play simple passes with ease, yet these two seem to be making it look difficult.

This. Saves me a response.

Moyes insistence on Cahill and Neville has been shocking. They have their part to play but last 10 minutes at most when securing a win.

I really can understand your frustration because I want to see more of Drenthe and Barkley as well, but in the case of Barkley Moyes is on record as saying his form has dipped and he looks off the pace in training, That is why he hasnt been playing

People are trying to make out he is being victimised in favour of one of the so called favourites and thats the bit I dont agree with.

Dunc, in all seriousness I fail to understand how Barkley in training can be any worse than Cahill or Neville based on what I've seen. For that point drenthe also.

The two of them have natural talent so much in excess of the favoured two it's untrue. They may have brain farts - but they have the ability to turn a game on its head - moyes doesn't pick those players, he plays safe. He can't be excused much further, their continued inclusion has reaped no reward.

I really can understand your frustration because I want to see more of Drenthe and Barkley as well, but in the case of Barkley Moyes is on record as saying his form has dipped and he looks off the pace in training, That is why he hasnt been playing

People are trying to make out he is being victimised in favour of one of the so called favourites and thats the bit I dont agree with.

Like Haf said I doubt Barkley's training form could be anyworse than Cahill & Neville's game form! If it is then we should sell him now for whatever we can get before the bubble bursts! lol

That last bit is fair, if I am honest I dont think its necessarily about Moyes having favourites, but more like Moyes preferring to go back to what he knows and a reluctance to try something different.

Edited by Bailey

The problem I believe is this: moyes has his changing room leaders, nev deffo is one, as too is Cahill (jags and ossie too) He needs their influence - if that comes at the price of playing them then I'm afraid sell them.

He has his work hard first ideals, I get that - not at the price of genuine game changing talent.