IGNORED

Danny Simpson

He's got 18 months left, Newcastle will want a premium fee (if he goes), Newcastle 'currently' look in better shape than us, they pull bigger crowds, he's probably settled in now after his move from United....why would he come? Ontop of that his fee....which we can't afford.

He is hardly a world class defender so I wouldnt have thought the fee would be too big and if he was so settled why wont he sign a new contract?

I think you are just being a little too negative there is absolutely no reason what so ever why we couldnt sign him

Whether we would want him or not is a completely different matter

agree this is not an area we should be looking at, 3 have 4 players that can play/cover at RB in Hibbo, Nev, Coleman and Johny H, I would like to see Coleman get a run in their as opposed to signing Simpson who is not better or worse than what we have already. That said he does make some great goal line clearances!

He is hardly a world class defender so I wouldnt have thought the fee would be too big and if he was so settled why wont he sign a new contract?

I think you are just being a little too negative there is absolutely no reason what so ever why we couldnt sign him

Why am i being negative? Ok so we can sign everybody we're linked with. He's playing well, seems happy at Newcastle and they could probably put together a better contract offer than us, so how is that being negative? Realistic maybe.

I'm not suggesting that he's world class but if we need to be lookin at a RB...Clyne at Palace is a MUCH better option (imo). Younger, stronger, faster and is out of contract this summer, so would be cheaper and worth more in the long run...

Oh if you're looking for a reason as to why I don't think we could, its because Newcastle will try and charge a premiuim, being a first team starter...something we don't really have...!?

Why am i being negative? Ok so we can sign everybody we're linked with. He's playing well, seems happy at Newcastle and they could probably put together a better contract offer than us, so how is that being negative? Realistic maybe.

I'm not suggesting that he's world class but if we need to be lookin at a RB...Clyne at Palace is a MUCH better option (imo). Younger, stronger, faster and is out of contract this summer, so would be cheaper and worth more in the long run...

Oh if you're looking for a reason as to why I don't think we could, its because Newcastle will try and charge a premiuim, being a first team starter...something we don't really have...!?

Because your dismissing our chances of signing an average Premiership player out of hand for no apparent reason

The entire point is he is not happy at Newcastle, he has turned down a new contract and supposedly wants to leave

I am not saying we should sign him, in fact I dont think we need him as he is no better than what we already have

how about no money?

"some" might mean he can get everyone a Burger King. My point was that it is unlikely that we have the funds to by this guy unless, like you say, someone like Bily is sold.

But this guy is only an average Premiership defender who is unsettled and his contract is running down so I doubt it would take that much to get him.

As it happens I dont even want us to get him because I dont think he would add anything to our squad. My point is that I feel it is being overly negative to say there is no way we could ever sign a player of his standard

But this guy is only an average Premiership defender who is unsettled and his contract is running down so I doubt it would take that much to get him.

As it happens I dont even want us to get him because I dont think he would add anything to our squad. My point is that I feel it is being overly negative to say there is no way we could ever sign a player of his standard

"Average" are not the type of players we should be signing.

• 1 month later...

I'd take him so long as it was cheap and I don't think that £4,000,000 is considering that his contract will run out next season. Surely we could grind Newcastle's asking fee down and get him for less than that and I feel that if we pay £4,000,000 for Simpson we will not have much more in the kitty for other signings (especially seeing as we want to sign Stracquilarsi too).

For that price its a no from me I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...

F*ck....Clyne would have been an amazing addition. Be absolutely gutted if they get him.

Pardew is buying very smart again...

I was talking to my mate Dan, who is a Newcastle fan, he says its down to their scouting guy (or technical director) or whatever they're called now. He says he really knows how to work the market and never signs players in decline (or something to those words), and they always find those who come to the end of their contracts to get bigger players on smaller transfers. I cant remember where he said the bloke came from but he rekons he's got one of the best scouting networks on the go....

F*ck....Clyne would have been an amazing addition. Be absolutely gutted if they get him.

Pardew is buying very smart again...

I was talking to my mate Dan, who is a Newcastle fan, he says its down to their scouting guy (or technical director) or whatever they're called now. He says he really knows how to work the market and never signs players in decline (or something to those words), and they always find those who come to the end of their contracts to get bigger players on smaller transfers. I cant remember where he said the bloke came from but he rekons he's got one of the best scouting networks on the go....

Graeme Carr is his name (his son is the comedian Alan Carr) i think previously he had been at Man City

Did he scout Dan Gosling

No i don't think so, he has'nt been with Newcastle that long, there was a suggestion that alot of the players are players he scouted at City but because they are not big names, the City board had no interest in them, so he took his little black book up to geordieland with him and made the most of it.

No i don't think so, he has'nt been with Newcastle that long, there was a suggestion that alot of the players are players he scouted at City but because they are not big names, the City board had no interest in them, so he took his little black book up to geordieland with him and made the most of it.

Looks like he is one guy I'd like to see employed by this club.

He's probably the most in demand scout in the country at the moment, it will be interesting to see who Newcastle sign in the summer tbh

You didn't really have to be a great scout to see the players Newcastle got were pretty good though, did you? Ba had done well in the PL, Cabaye was a French international and one of the key players of the Ligue 1 champions, Cissé had scored 22 goals in the Bundesliga last season and so on. It's not like they unearthed gems nobody had ever heard of.

You didn't really have to be a great scout to see the players Newcastle got were pretty good though, did you? Ba had done well in the PL, Cabaye was a French international and one of the key players of the Ligue 1 champions, Cissé had scored 22 goals in the Bundesliga last season and so on. It's not like they unearthed gems nobody had ever heard of.

Nobody else was rushing to get them though, i know we were linked wtih Ba, but his injury record scared alot of the other teams off, like i said, the rumour is that he scouted most of these players at City, but because they were not big names, City had no interest in them.