IGNORED

Moyes wanted a Conference club

Louis

Well... I don't see a problem with it.. but the 'B' teams must start at the same level as the reserve teams already in the English pyramid, i.e. second tier at a Liverpool County FA affiliated league.

Sure, they need to work their way up but even that alone must help improve the players.

Plus with this money troubles already hitting the lower league clubs, would this not 'potentially' improve (away) attendances at games/matches because of the fans who are affiliated with their parent clubs, i.e. Everton, Arsenal, United...?

I think its a great idea, I suppose just replicating what the Spanish clubs do inc. Barca and Villareal?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/20/everton-david-moyes-reserve-conference

Four or five years ago I tried to put an Everton reserve team into the Conference because it would have been better football for them. My plan was to use Widnes's stadium as the home ground and that when Everton were playing away the B team would have played in the Conference there. I thought the games would have been better, more competitive and more realistic for the players. But we would have had to have gone into division nine of the North-west Outer Counties League or whatever you want to call it and it would have taken 10 or 11 years to get through."

The Everton manager believes the Conference would have benefited from increased crowds and that to field a second team any higher would be "unfair" and against the tradition of the game in this country. His motivation was to move young players into a routine that mirrored that of the first team, rather than the current schedule of midweek reserve fixtures.

"Because the games would tend to be on a Saturday or a Sunday the young players would be able to follow the same programme as the senior ones. The training week is similar and the players can do similar work," Moyes explained. "When your reserve games are Tuesday or Wednesday night it makes it difficult to follow programmes and your weekends become difficult because the younger players may have to come with the first team but not play. Before you know it you have young boys missing training sessions and, first and foremost, we have to make sure their development is right."

Should have done it.. worked for AFC Wimbledon.

What I found interesting that he doens't think it's suitable to have a reserve team in the Football League.

I think it would benefit the club as a whole and others around them. Like J said the clubs down at the bottom would get some funding from attendances as people like Tamworth would be able to see some of our reserves play once a season guarenteed. There would probably be a cap on how far the 'B' team could progress though as with the Spanish and German leagues the 'B' teams can only go as high as the third tier. It's something that I would be in favour of though and something which I think the FA should consider.

It's a good idea, but goes against the traditions and way that teams are supported in Britain; we have many more teams with strong support all the way down the leagues. Still I'd love to see an Everton reserve team start from the 9th tier and work up - it would also give the managers a good testing round, not to mention better quality more competitive football for the youngsters.

Also, and this may be the real issue, how do teams move from one team to the other? I am guessing that an Everton Reserves team would have to be a team in its own right. Players would no more move freely from the Reserves to the First Team, than they could between say Tranmere and Everton, and there only a limited number of loans a team can have per season; I'm guessing that the league rules would have to change to allow this.

I'd like to see it, but it will nean the end for many smaller teams in the league - can you imagine the Man City Reserve team? What about what it would do to teams like Stockport and Oldham?

It's a good idea, but goes against the traditions and way that teams are supported in Britain; we have many more teams with strong support all the way down the leagues. Still I'd love to see an Everton reserve team start from the 9th tier and work up - it would also give the managers a good testing round, not to mention better quality more competitive football for the youngsters.

Also, and this may be the real issue, how do teams move from one team to the other? I am guessing that an Everton Reserves team would have to be a team in its own right. Players would no more move freely from the Reserves to the First Team, than they could between say Tranmere and Everton, and there only a limited number of loans a team can have per season; I'm guessing that the league rules would have to change to allow this.

I'd like to see it, but it will nean the end for many smaller teams in the league - can you imagine the Man City Reserve team? What about what it would do to teams like Stockport and Oldham?

Lol it would be interseting to see what division the first team would meet them on the way down

Also it would be rather funny if the B team was in the FA Cup, another Everton versus. Everton?

That is a very good point that you just made as surely if there was a Manchester City B then it would almost surely have starred the likes of Craig Bellamy, Carlos Tevez and Wayne Bridge (had it been created around the start of the season of course) and surely they would be no match for the teams in the 9th division. I'd say that the only way to get around this would be to have a cap on how much you can pay your 'B' team a week. This would mean that there would be a ban on having superstars and it would mean that only those on low pay (i.e - the reserves and academy) could be fielded which is what this whole process is about.

I have always thought this would be a good idea but it does seem a shame to have to start such a long way down. Having said that, if the club are thinking long term they could start it themselves (albeit not with reserve team players) and then reap the rewards in 10-15 years time when they reach a decent standard.