IGNORED

Playing For England Is A Waste Of Time - Gary Neville

Every National side are criticised by their respective media's that's just a piss poor excuse for failing.

At the end of the day if He thought that way why play 80+ games? Oh it could be that you get paid a ridiculous amount of money for representing your country you condescending ungrateful rat faced tw@t

I agree with him that the players just dont care as much as they do when they play for their clubs, and to be honest I dont care what their excuse is.

I'm an Evertonian first and an England fan second, if a player feels the same then I can understand it.

Spot on

edit: actually im an Evertonian first, a fan of good football second then an England fan

Edited by Matt

Spot on

edit: actually im an Evertonian first, a fan of good football second then an England fan

Spot on

edit: actually im an Evertonian first, a fan of good football second, a fan of whole hearted football third and then an England fan

Edited by tenaciousj

I don't hate England...but they definitely come a long way behind Everton.

An England team with a decent amount of Everton players in I could get (and have got) excited about.

Probably also want a (for example) Welsh team with three Everton players in it to beat an England team with none....can't remember whether Ratcliffe, Van den Hauwe and Nev played v England (and if Steven, Stevens, Reid were on the other side). I'll have to look it up now.

I don't hate England...but they definitely come a long way behind Everton.

An England team with a decent amount of Everton players in I could get (and have got) excited about.

Probably also want a (for example) Welsh team with three Everton players in it to beat an England team with none....can't remember whether Ratcliffe, Van den Hauwe and Nev played v England (and if Steven, Stevens, Reid were on the other side). I'll have to look it up now.

I think the last home nations were held in 84? so might have been, Even I cheered for the jocks in Italia 90, oh yeah and the Micks also.

I'm not even English but I can't stand the recent set up, horrible bunch of fucking snides just lately, manager earning obscene amounts of money for doing basically nothing, players putting on the shirt in recent years not giving a damn, even after the Germany 1-4 embarrassment for some people in 2010 the players next day were all around the swimmimg pool and laughing and tweeting and not a care in the world when maybe they should have been giving some kind of apology or keeping a low profile, not just that game either, but all three group games were piss poor too and awful performance. There seems little pride anymore and you have players and a manager that just don't seem to care, I'll be real pleased when Capello fucks off and takes half this current squad with him. They can bring in someone who will knock some heads together and has some passion and desire. And by the way we don't need international games every damn week llike they had towards the end of last year, and lo and behold there's another round of needless games coming up in a week or two, I really don't like the international set up at the moment

it's hilarious the way people seem to expect anything other than mediocrity from England.

here's what will happen this summer:

they'll struggle through the group stage and get knocked out by the 1st half decent team they face in the knockouts.

nailed on.

for what it's worth, I'd say 90% of the match going fans I know, red and blue, don't give a sh_t about england. myself, I was probably still a kid the last time I got excited by an england game, maybe the 90 world cup semi.

I love international football, with a population of only 3 1/2 million Wales are the underdogs in all but a few games, I love singing the national anthem, I love feeling the goosebumps, the few pints before the game singing in the pubs, and when we win which was never very often then then the whole nation has a smile on their faces.............. priceless!

I love international football, with a population of only 3 1/2 million Wales are the underdogs in all but a few games, I love singing the national anthem, I love feeling the goosebumps, the few pints before the game singing in the pubs, and when we win which was never very often then then the whole nation has a smile on their faces.............. priceless!

It seems to me that the Wales players show the same pride that the fans do. I'm sure you get great atmosphere down in Cardiff Jona.

But I dont see the England players being able to connect with the fans, they are all so far from reality, and dont appear to have the pride the national team used to have.

From my younger days (Euro 96 being my first England memories) Tony Adams would bellow out the national anthem, it was be funny if it wasnt making you sing along with him. Psycho Stuart Pearce was the perfect image of pride for the team, Shearer, Sheringham, Ince, Seaman, even Gazza, all showed pride. Then we got Michael Owen and David Beckham, both who looked proud to be part of the England team as youngsters, Beckham never lost that pride for the national team. They would make me personally feel like I wanted to support them.

Now we have Ashley Cole, John Terry, Rio, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Rooney. All very very good footballers, but do they portray the image of national pride?

To me they look like a bunch of playboy millionaires who have fuck all to do with national pride. I'd like to see Joey Barton get a game for England because he would at least look like he gave a shit.

Since 'winning' the 1966 tournament all they have to show for it is two semi-finals in one world cup and one euro championships, but people nearly always insist every time, especially the miserable tabloid rags that they have some obligation to be championship contenders each time one of these events come around, and every time it always comes to the same conclusion, they never learn

I do feel Germany have a very good chance of being champions this year, their record in World Cups/Euro tourneys in second to none and will be one of the teams to watch this summer, they are always there or thereabouts come the end of international events. Spain are a very good side but somehow lost to the English a few months ago, and furthermore no team has ever successfully retained the European championships. We have seen surprise winners in the past like Czechoslavakia 1976, Denmark 1992 and Greece 2004 but I don't feel any minnows will be following that this time around